Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trashy areas

3 posters

Go down

Trashy areas Empty Trashy areas

Post  arthur2 Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 pm

How do you fellow prospectors go in detecting in trashy areas?
I've found a spot, that from what I can see hasn't been hit with a detector because of all the rubbish in the area and have found some nice gold in the last couple of weeks, but my problem is all the rubbish, you walk 10 feet swinging my machine and it goes off it head with all the iron laying around, I've gone to the extent of racking up an area so I can swing my machine around without picking up iron rubbish, but it's time consuming and frustrating, I've even got the kids to rack while I detect and even taken some rubbish away.
I'm using a 5000 and thinking of buying a VLF machine like a gold snoop which could discriminate iron and use in tandem to detect in the area around all the metal junk.
Im interest to know what other do, is worth persisting with the area or should I move on?
arthur2
arthur2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Trashy areas Empty Re: Trashy areas

Post  Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 am

G'day Arthur2 I think most people would put a DD on and set the disc on and go from there... Like you said if you can afford another detector a good VLF would be ok as well... I would read up in the manual for the 5000 I remember there is a section in there about the discrimination and how to set it up... Hope this helps...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am

G,day Arthur2, if your getting gold there keep at it, i know a fellow prospector that prior to last xmas, hit some trashy areas, there were rusty cans everywhere, one day i think he got over 20 nuggets and even a specie with 22 grams of gold in it, but you might need to dig every target out as there can be gold under the trash, just like his specie was under a nail, so leaving trash in the ground you might also be leaving a nugget, i dont know anything about VLF detectors but can they see gold under trash, i dont think so? maybe the 3030 can, so just use the 5k and dig up everything, using a magnet under your pick does speed up your detecting when in trashy areas as most trash is on the surface cheers stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Arthur2
Separate the area into sections and work a small area thoroughly on each visit.When youve had enough just do some other area for a while.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Trashy areas Empty RE:Trashy areas

Post  arthur2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 am

Hi guys
Thanks for your replies, I am sectioning the area off and doing a bit at a time, that how I'm able to find the yellow stuff and my daughter gets excited when we find a bit.
Found my first specie the other day, only about a gram in gold but gold is gold from the area and it was under a bottle cap about 12 inches down.
I might try and using a DD in iron reject and see how it goes, I guess theres no harm trying.
I will post all my finds when when I think its time to move on.

Cheers Dave
arthur2
arthur2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down