Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas?

+4
Tricky
Pennyweight
MS
Shinegold
8 posters

Go down

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Empty Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas?

Post  Shinegold Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 pm

Other than Gumeracha, Echunga and Jupiter's Creek, is it legal to prospect on other areas that aren't private property? The laws cretainly suggest so, yet according to PIRSA there are only three designated areas. Does anyone have any experiance in this?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Empty Re: Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas?

Post  MS Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi
I don't know of any other areas execpt on private property , that's not to say there arn't any but I think all national parks and gov land over here is out of bounds to detecting as they look on this as causing damage.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Empty SA gold on Public land

Post  Pennyweight Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Won't give away too much, but check out the following names:
Bismarck
Cromer
Williamstown

These 3 spots have gold diggings in State Forest and have had gold detected there.
Done it myself back in the 80's. Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Empty Re: Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas?

Post  Shinegold Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Yeah, I phoned one of the parks, they told me that the only way to change that is to take it up to the minister but that would be futile.

How do I go about getting permission on private properties?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Pennyweight wrote:Won't give away too much, but check out the following names:
Bismarck
Cromer
Williamstown

These 3 spots have gold diggings in State Forest and have had gold detected there.

Cheers!
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 pm

It's interesting, everywhere where there's forest (around the Adelaide region), there are gold diggings.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Empty SA gold on Public land

Post  Pennyweight Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi again,
yes, true about the diggings being on public land but most of it has never produced any detectable gold. There's lots of locales around Parra Wirra too but never buzzed anything. Also down at Kuitpo too. Not to say that it aint there but! Better detectors these days Wink There are far more top spots on private property in the Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley. You have little hope of getting permission unless you know the owners. Most properties are small and jealously guarded. I once saw over 50oz from one paddock near Birdwood, not mine though :-( Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:53 am

There are other areas up north in SA if you want to travel but I belive a lot f=of them are on private land as well
Tricky
Tricky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:14 am

They are, and if they weren't then you still wouldn't be able to detect there because it would be some sort of national park.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Is Black Joes Gully in South AUstralia ?

24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Shine

have a look at this
http://www.tysaustralia.com/goldrushsouthaustralia.html

Also can Email you lots of stuff to if required,
maps reports etc

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:32 am

24kt

never heard of it but there is a "blackwood gully" and that is between echunga and meadows, private property, big gold

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Shine

This is a very old hand drawn map of the crawford goldfield showing all the diggins and shafts etc

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Oldmapofthemtcrawfordgoldfield

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Empty Deep Shaft's photostream - www.flickr.com

Post  24kt Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:59 am

Hi

I accidentally come across some beautiful pictures of old Gold diggings on www.flickr.com which i thought some of you SA's mite find interesting and possible know of some of the area.

Give us some feedback on the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepshaft/ there are quite few pictures to browse through, someone has taken the trouble downloading on the photography serve.

If you do recognise some of town-names/mines/dams/creeks/gullies/hills/area mention in the photography description below the pictures please share the information.

That's what is the beauty of the internet.

Alluvial Workings - Ludlow's Track East.- taken on September 7, 2005 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepshaft/41102162/

Old Mining Lease Sign - Just off Campbell's Dam Road (first section
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepshaft/38177698/

Sign - Expired exploration licence sign at Cameron's Dam Road. http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepshaft/31644470/

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year 2011 and wish you find a HUGE NUGGET in 2011 Very Happy

cheers

Last edited by 24kt on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more info)
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  johnycake Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Pennyweight wrote:Won't give away too much, but check out the following names:
Bismarck
Cromer
Williamstown

I had a look around Bismarck recently and it seems most of the diggings are on private property unless my map was out

johnycake
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Where'sthegold Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Very interested in some maps ect. My family friend has 1000 acres of private property in birdwood SA any ideas on finding out what this remains are of Are you allowed to prospect in SA (close to adelaide) on areas other than those 3 main areas? Img20110

Where'sthegold

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:51 pm

First look and looked like old house ruins. Then the concrete footings each side of house and they look like may have been for a gantry of some kind. Others might shed more light.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down