Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few pondering questions!!

3 posters

Go down

A few pondering questions!! Empty A few pondering questions!!

Post  shooneze Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi guys & girls just wondering if the GPX 5000 came on the market on the 30th August 2010 when an upgradded model is due?
Also if i turn up to the lancoorie metal detecting weekend in May without a gold detector would it be worth it?
I live in the gippsland area, very new to this hobby. Bought a Falcon MD20 Gold Tracker which i havent had a chance
to use yet. Has anyone else used one?
Cheers Shane cheers

shooneze
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

A few pondering questions!! Empty Re: A few pondering questions!!

Post  CostasDee Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Gooday Shane and welcome to the forum.
Can't help you with the Falcon, never seen one of those, sorry.
The Lancoorie weekend is a big get together where there will be sight seeing trips planned, chance to meet fellow members and an oppotunity to see other detectorists doing their thing. It's a great oppotunity for a new member to learn a few things and hopefully pick up some tips and so increase their chances of finding some gold. So in answer to your question whether it's worth it, well if you come with an open mind, it should be full by the time you leave to go home.
As far as the next Minelab gold detector release, it's up in the air at the moment, but a lot of people believe that it could possibly be around Easter time, somewhere around the start of the WA season, but this is only guesswork and truth is, no one really knows (except the people at Minelab that it).
Cheers and welcome again...
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 pm

G'day Shane.Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately only Minelab have the privalage of knowing the release date of their new series PI.One things for certain there will be a new release and soon.As for the Falcon MD20 at 300khz,good pin-pointer for separating fine gold from black sands,but not much good in highly mineralized soil.

Cheers kon61.

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:16 pm

G'day Shane and welcome to the forum... As Costa and Kon have said only Minelab know when the new model will be released... As for the 2013 Lancoorie meet it is going to be held on the 11,12&13th of October... Sorry I can't help with the Falcon detector...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Last edited by Mike54 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong dates)

Back to top Go down

Post  shooneze Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks guys, will definitly make the trip to lancoorie now. If its in october than hopefully i should have a detector by then. Still trying
to filter all the old posts to work out what detector will suit me. A very informative forum which i hope to add to in the future if
i can find some gold. I was hoping to metal detect around walhalla/rawson area in the future. Has anyone had a bash around there
before? Cheers thanks again, Shane

shooneze
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  shooneze Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 pm

With the recent gippsland fires burning thousands of hectares of land. Was wondering if the newest detectors like the GPX 5000 work well on
recently burnt ground? And what coil would be best to use? Cheers shane

shooneze
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 am

shooneze wrote:With the recent gippsland fires burning thousands of hectares of land. Was wondering if the newest detectors like the GPX 5000 work well on
recently burnt ground? And what coil would be best to use? Cheers shane

G'day shooneze a lot of people have been doing real well over here on the recent burnt areas here in the Golden Triangle... The coils that come with the detector will work OK... I usually just use the monos on my GPX 5000 and have no problem... Hope this helps...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

PS not all burnt ground has gold in it...

Back to top Go down

Post  shooneze Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks heaps Mike. That will further enhance my chances of getting one. If the wife let's me! I couldn't find anything on working over burnt ground in past reports. Cheers Shane

shooneze
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down