Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey guys who's going west ?

+3
Digginerup
JonP
Dreadful
7 posters

Go down

Hey guys who's going west ? Empty Hey guys who's going west ?

Post  Dreadful Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:17 am

Hey Guys my name is Dan but everyone calls me Dreadful, i've been detecting for about a year now i started over in wa last season with a 300 dollar gold snoop and no idea lol ... didn';t really know what i was doing but hired a 5000 and lucked onto a few pieces in Leanora which was enough to get me keen to learn more. I have just bought my new 5000 and had two days in Dunnolly ... about 7 bits some as small as .1 of a gram so i think i'm ready to go west this season ... i'm an ex paratrooper who goes alright " out there " so i'm looking at some of the large the fields around marble bar and hoping to walk over a bit this year.
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-01-05

Back to top Go down

Hey guys who's going west ? Empty Re: Hey guys who's going west ?

Post  JonP Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Im new to detecting but like most of us would like to head across sometime. I used to live over there but was more into chasing fish back then. Im looking into what sort of coils etc are recommended and Im pretty set up with bush living, waeco fridge, solar, hennessy hammocks etc.
How long do most people go out there for, I drove across with the family in 4.5 days a few years back which seemed hard going setting up tenets each night and a baby that wouldn't sleep No No
Haven't even thought about what sort of budget you would need, so hopefully this thread might start to give me some idea from those who have already done it.
cheers JonP

JonP
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreadful Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey John, i've done the 34 hours from norsman to home in 36 hours when my Dad was on his deathbed but usually take about 7 to 10 days to get accross ... i'm in a 3 litre hilux, she's not the fastest but with airlockers front and back she gets me where i wanna go ... i budget about a grand either way for petrol with another grand for getting up to marblebar and poking around ... i too am set up for remote living with fridge/ solar etc and think this is somewhere to save money ... as i posted in another thread most of the prospectors i ran into last year were all returning to van parks overnight which i don't see the sense in ... planning to stay out there on the gold as much as possible with a fortnightly trip in to restock supplies. Hoping to stay over there most of the winter, i have a military pension that will probably see me saving money out there away from the pub so hopefully i'll come back a bit richer this year Laughing
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Dreadful, Smile I for sure would like to spend some time in WA detecting, wouldn't anyone!?,I grew up in the south west of WA for the first 18 years of my life but left 30 years ago for Nth Qld, I have a couple of brothers and sisters in the Perth area but none have any prospecting interests, so I have no idea where I would go!, such a large area would require some serious effort in research unless you are lucky enough to have some contacts in the area, like JonP I will watch this thread with some interest while I dream of WA gold! Rolling Eyes

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Gday dreadful- if you end up making it up marble bar way this year give us a hoy, im in hedland and always looking for some one to head out bush with. Im ex military like yourself aswell (navy) so would be good to catch up if your keen.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreadful Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 am

pilbarachad wrote:Gday dreadful- if you end up making it up marble bar way this year give us a hoy, im in hedland and always looking for some one to head out bush with. Im ex military like yourself aswell (navy) so would be good to catch up if your keen.
.... Sounds great Mate, i'll stay in touch Cool
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Hey guys who's going west ? Empty On the road

Post  Dreadful Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 pm

So for anyone reading i'm on my way west. Left the snowies just as the cold was setting in and thought i'd spend a few days in vicco to get back into the swing of things ... 2 bits for a gram and it was freezing Laughing ... seems to be the way it goes for me in Vicco. Anyway all goes well the mule is running like a clock and besides dodging a few roos outside Port Augusta there's been no dramas at all .... i'm presently at Kimba in SA and should be in Kal early next week, I'll be heading north if anyone is keen to come along for a swing.
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 pm

G'day Dreadful, I wish you a safe trip and a prosperous one as well. Very Happy Good luck out there and watch out for the wild life on those roads.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreadful Fri May 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Cheers Mike straight back at ya mate Very Happy
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sat May 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Good luck & safe trip, Dreadful. I hope to get up around Marble Bar and Nullagine around Aug/Sept. Not too shore of timing yet. Hope you find some.
Q39
Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Hey guys who's going west ? Empty Slow as a wet winter

Post  swaggy Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ see u soon

swaggy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreadful Thu May 30, 2013 4:18 pm

ha ha You still in leaonora Swaggy ?
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Hey guys who's going west ? Empty Swag is still rolled out

Post  swaggy Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Yep just kicking back

swaggy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri May 31, 2013 12:16 am

As Mike54 mentioned, beware/take care on roads around Leonora, saw a massive Brahman bull smacked by a road train as we were about to over take, we'd be history if we had collided with it (the bull).
Someone is going to die on the Leonora/Leinster Hwy if authorities don't deal with this soon.
Department of Environment & Conservation will have a lot to answer for!
They want to return the bush to it's natural state by removing windmills etc etc, in the mean time feral animals (cattle, donkeys & camels) roam until they suffer death on the roads or die from thirst.
As a band-aid huge signs showing a cow & kangaroo have been erected warning motorists about the stray animal hazard.
The signs have been updated after it was brought to their attention about the earlier signs showing a kangaroo & cow warning about feral animal hazards?
What a joke, since when has a kangaroo been a feral animal!

Bureaucracy gone mad, shiny a***s sitting in high places who have probably never seen the sun rise over the outback.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreadful Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 pm

All good Swaggy i'll be there early tommorow arvo ... meet ya in the main street about 2 ? .... and cheers for the heads up Nightjar i'll keep an eye out for the buggers Cool
Dreadful
Dreadful
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down