Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Equipment & Such

5 posters

Go down

Equipment & Such Empty Equipment & Such

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:57 am

Hi all, {James 101} I am back on deck . After much discussion and debate with fellow members about returning I have decided to throw my hat in the ring once more. As you will find out I am not the worlds best speller but hey who cares, but I think I will get my meaning across well enough for all to understand. There is still heaps to talk about, equipment would be a good spot to start.

For a new chum this may be a real puzzle. What to get, what would I need & where to go are the most questions I have been asked. My advise to them is Join a Club that is a very good place to start the learning process. To take the time learn to pan and gravitate for gem’s before even looking at sluices Bankers and such. By joining a site such as this can also be of great help but read as much as you can ask as many questions as you can look listen and learn. Knowing how to pan must and is the most important point in wet water prospecting. You must also learn how to finish a pan that is take your wash down to just gold. Master this and you will not need any panning aids.

When you move up from panning your next step should be river sluicing. By doing so you will learn how to set angles and to work with water velocity and it’s importance. In regards to moving wash, at what depth dose vortexes form behind riffles extra. When and where you will need to be classifying your material, not all material needs to be classified and how to work the water to your advantage.

Power Sluices, High-bankers and such come in all kinds of designs with a lot of different ideas attached to them. But at days end they all work the same been only able to process as much material as you can feed them. The gold retention is about the same for all of them give or take a bit no matter what type of riffle & matting used within reason. But there are points which should be considered when looking at purchasing a unit or making one. These points come to mind. How strong are they made will they last for a few seasons, was quality materials used in the production of the unit. How big is the unit will I have space in my vehicle for it. What type of punch plate is fitted to the unit, grizzly bars are a good all round system but you may have trouble with then when working in clay. A slotted punch plate is good when in clay areas but depending on the shape of the slot may clog in part when working a sandy area. How easy will it be to set up angles come into play here. How fast can the unit process shovel feed material. How easy is it to clean up and how long dose the cleanup take. How much concentrate will I have at cleanup time. What size pump will I need {Recommended motor & pump size down to 2.5 hp } what type of hoses will I need and how much. There are 3 types of wash systems used in High-bankers a baffle box which spreads water across a flat surface . Spray bars which jet water along the length of the hopper. And the Water Cannon Angus MacKirk has done a lot of top development in this area. The Cannon Bar he has fitted to his units are adjustable for angle very clever indeed.
To sum up the best advice one can give is if you are unsure join a club ask the questions. Remember at days end it is your $$ been spent. And get something that works for you. Minersden and other dealers have a good rang to chose from go and have a look at what your buying before you buy if you can.

Cheers James.
© J.B 2012
I withhold permission for this article to be cut and pasted or duplicated onto any other web site. ( without my express permission !)

Back to top Go down

Equipment & Such Empty Re: Equipment & Such

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:07 am

welcome back james....

great to see we will get to learn abit again..... from someone that realy knows his stuff

look forward to seeing your post's again.

cheers fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:44 am

Good to see you posting again James, no doubt new and old members will benefit.
In your absence, no doubt you have been beavering away improving your devices?

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:58 am

cheers cheers cheers James is back cheers cheers cheers

Welcome back mate
He who disappears then returns is truly magical Very Happy

Cheers
Chris.
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 am

fencejumper wrote:welcome back james....

great to see we will get to learn abit again..... from someone that realy knows his stuff

look forward to seeing your post's again.

cheers fencejumper

Thanks mate if i can help i will. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:45 am

Nightjar wrote:no doubt you have been beavering away improving your devices? Cheers
Peter

I have indeed but i do like what Angus MacKirk is up to. cheers mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:47 am

someday wrote: cheers cheers cheers James is back cheers cheers cheers

Welcome back mate
He who disappears then returns is truly magical Very Happy

Cheers
Chris.

cheers Good on ya Someday cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:11 pm

"Kill the fattened calf, this son of mine was dead and is alive again......." : lol!

Welcome back James Very Happy cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:55 pm

piston broke wrote:"Kill the fattened calf, this son of mine was dead and is alive again......." : lol!

Welcome back James Very Happy cheers Pete.

Thanks Pete cheers mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  sigron Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Good to see the "old boys" back .

sigron
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 am

cheers

Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:38 am

KAEOJ wrote: cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi James
I think a big, THANKS for returning is in order, your informative post's were really missed & I look forward to your input once again.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:58 pm

rc62burke wrote:Hi James
I think a big, THANKS for returning is in order, your informative post's were really missed & I look forward to your input once again.

Thanks mate i try my best, I am not always right but hey we have fun trying. cheers cheers

cheers
James

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 am

Welcome back cheers love your posts allways very informative, looking foward to some good reading study Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:19 am

welcome back Whiskers, you look like you'll be a bit handy to have around.
Sparrowfart. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:29 am

Sparrowfart wrote:welcome back Whiskers, you look like you'll be a bit handy to have around.
Sparrowfart. sunny

Thanks mate. cheers

Back to top Go down