Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Explanation of the "ploughed furrows".

+3
cam
sebtones
bristlehound
7 posters

Go down

Explanation of the  "ploughed furrows". Empty Explanation of the "ploughed furrows".

Post  bristlehound Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi All! I'm after a bit of an explanation of a particular landscaping phenomenon one comes across quite regularly in the Golden Triangle. Substantial areas (often several acres) of ground have the appearance of having been ploughed. Ie. They have numerous long furrows running parallel throughout their length. It looks to have been done with comparatively recent machinery and sometimes appears to be covered by a fair amount of regrowth, usually fairly young. I'm wondering whether such areas might have been ploughed and revegetated after the expiry of a lease or something. That seems to me to be the most logical explanation, as I can't think of any sort of gold recovery method that would leave that effect on the ground. Any ideas on what produces this and is it a relatively recent practice?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Max.
bristlehound
bristlehound
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Explanation of the  "ploughed furrows". Empty Re: Explanation of the "ploughed furrows".

Post  sebtones Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Anything like this? http://www.centralotagonz.com/quartz-reef
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Explanation of the  "ploughed furrows". Empty Re: Explanation of the "ploughed furrows".

Post  Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I might have thought you were describing areas that have been "surfaced", where the top, say, 300mm has been removed for processing.

I've detected plenty of littlies in these areas, Smile

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  bristlehound Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi Sebtones! That is certainly an interesting phenomenon but seems quite different from what I am referring to. These are generally relatively flat areas, usually gravelly and have the appearance of having been gone over with a plough rather than being stacked stones. The furrows are parallel and fairly straight, about a metre apart. They can extend over several thousand square metres or more. There may be some sort of similarity of purpose between the two, but the appearance is quite different.

Hi Phil! I am familiar with surfacing and have scratched a few out of these areas myself but unless these furrows represent some technique I'm not familiar with, they don't appear to be part of that process. They do, however, sometimes occur near areas that have, at some time, been surfaced. Makes me wonder whether they are the material removed during surfacing and spread out in an attempt to restore at least part of the landscape. The nature of the vegetation on them suggests they are not generally all that old but who knows?

Examples can be seen in the Frenchman's and White Horse Gully areas south of Maryborough and adjacent to the Bonny Jean Track near Talbot. Next time I see one, I'll try to remember to get and post some pickies. Might help.
Thanks and Cheers,
Max.
bristlehound
bristlehound
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  cam Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm

could be "dse" re-generation/ re-vegetation. have seen it at moliagul and kingower.it looks like they are just flattening out the old diggings.like you said, could be a good area for some littleies,as they have turned over the soil for you..

cam

cam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  bristlehound Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks Cam. Certainly has that sort of appearance. I wasn't aware DSE were undertaking this sort of work. Probably what it is. It doesn't look particularly old.
Max.
bristlehound
bristlehound
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  cam Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:09 pm

may not be dse. but where i have seen it,it is all on public land..i think they should just leave it as it is,i suppose it could be lease-holders also, as they are supposed to return the land to "original" condition after they have finished.

cam

cam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

The areas you are describing are old doze and detect claims or doze and trommel wash, it was a condition from the Mines dept to level the ground after for rehab!

Plenty of those around Maryborough!

Last edited by Monoloop68 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Explanation of the  "ploughed furrows". Empty Revegetation

Post  philip.j.thompson Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Part of the post-mining process. Re-flatten and replant. They have to do it. Interestingly these then become Very Happy off limits in many cases, see around Wedderburn for good examples of these conservation areas

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  bristlehound Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone, for your input. Seems to confirm what I had kind of suspected, some sort of restoration activity, be it by DSE or others.
Max.
bristlehound
bristlehound
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 am

I think the ploughed furrows are done to hold the moisture, after a rain and help in re - veg.

Last edited by Minermike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling.)
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  bristlehound Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Minermike wrote:I think the ploughed furrows are done to hold the moisture, after a rain and help in re - veg.

Certainly possible Mike. I can't readily think of any other purpose that would necessitate that approach. It would definately help minimise natural run-off.

Max.
bristlehound
bristlehound
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:51 am

The furrows are highly likely to be worked leases that have been levelled and replanted as required by their lease. It is worth trying to find where they had their washing plant located. I know some plants (usually located near a dam) have produced hundreds of very small nuggets with a small coil, that were missed and lost in the vicinity of the process plant/stockpile areas.

Also some of the worked gullies and edging slopes on the worked flat areas have small areas of deeper red clay soil that were exposed by scraping but not processed. These red clay areas have produced some good nuggets and are worth looking for.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  bristlehound Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for the information and suggestions, Tributer. Travelling around up north at the moment for a few weeks, (without detector, unfortunately - Gotta give the management priority sometimes!) but this sounds like a project worthy of investigation for when I get back.
Cheers!
Max. Smile
bristlehound
bristlehound
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  rocket1100 Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 am

What you have described sound very similar to the work I use to do with the dozer...ground prep for rehab planting (DSE), normally completed one or two years before the replant, this allows the soil to build moisture depth and nutrients reserves....

Could also have been done to prevent soil erosion, especially if a large hot fire has been though the area and destroyed all ground vegetation...

just my thoughts.....Don't know the area off hand study
rocket1100
rocket1100
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down