Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What restrictions are there on highway verges?

2 posters

Go down

What restrictions are there on highway verges? Empty What restrictions are there on highway verges?

Post  getascripter Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi all. I don't seem to be able to find anything particularly pertaining to the verges of rural highways!

ALL goldfields, both old and new, have public roads traversing them or passing nearby them. As public/state/federal roads, are the extended verges of these thoroughfares no-go areas? I am particularly thinking of the Barrier Highway, and other far rural highways ... where verges are anything up to 100m from road to fence-line.

I know these areas are completely legal to occupy if you are broken down, or 'resting' for anything up to 3days, after which you must move on ... I believe a left-over from the days of droving 'the long paddock' Very Happy

I cannot see how major prospecting leases could 'own' the public roads/verges ... but that is why the question.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

What restrictions are there on highway verges? Empty Re: What restrictions are there on highway verges?

Post  ski29214 Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi Kate, suggest you make yourself familiar with the Mines Department office, Grenfell Street, Adelaide. Lots of books, maps, historical information etc available. Much of it free, some for moderate charges. There is a lot to look at and the staff are extremely helpful. They should be able to assist with advice regarding your query on roadside verges. For example, the Barrier Highway to which you refer is remote and not heavily travelled at many times of the day. Using discretioin, which I believe all sensible and thoughtful fossickers would (should) always do, will probably allow you to spend some time just 'pocking around' without drawing attention to your activity. There are lots of old goldfields throughout that area. Yunta, Mannahill. Oodlawirra etc. Whilst at the Mines Dept. pick up a copy of their publication Goldfields of South Australia. I bought one some years back and the cost was $30.00 well worth it in my opinion for anyone seriously looking (fossicking) for gold. It has heaps of maps with all the old diggings marked. You'll love it.

Tony

ski29214
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

What restrictions are there on highway verges? Empty Re: What restrictions are there on highway verges?

Post  getascripter Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Tory, nice to meet you! I wondered if anyone would ever answer this post Laughing It looks like I might be taking the drive up to Adelaide and spend quite a bit of time in the Mines Dept Office!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Again, thank you so much for your information. Priceless!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down