Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Verges of Rural Highway?

+2
TTT
getascripter
6 posters

Go down

Verges of Rural Highway? Empty Verges of Rural Highway?

Post  getascripter Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I have posted the below question within the SA section of the Forum, but have received no answers, so I thought I'd throw it open to Australia wide ...............

Hi all. I don't seem to be able to find anything particularly pertaining to the verges of rural highways!

ALL goldfields, both old and new, have public roads traversing them or passing nearby them. As public/state/federal roads, are the extended verges of these thoroughfares no-go areas? I am particularly thinking of the Barrier Highway, and other far rural highways ... where verges are anything up to 100m from road to fence-line.

I know these areas are completely legal to occupy if you are broken down, or 'resting' for anything up to 3days, after which you must move on ... I believe a left-over from the days of droving 'the long paddock'

I cannot see how major prospecting leases could 'own' the public roads/verges ... but that is why the question.

Thanking all who respond in advance Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Verges of Rural Highway? Empty Re: Verges of Rural Highway?

Post  TTT Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm

hi Kate i would say that unless it is crown land they would be owned by the farms or stations along the highway . On the way up the stuart hwy it runs through stations i don t know if this helps you cheers Terry

TTT
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Thank you for your answer Terry. It's much appreciated. Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I do not know legallities of the road verge but if you are a farmer in the mid north of SA you can pay a fee to council concerned and crop the ground between fence line and the road on road areas where your property boundry was against the road. If there was another land owner on other side of the road you could not crop that side or use to run stock ect. We used to do this where we had property - we run tempory fencing on aresas concerned.
I thought but might be wrong that land was otherwise for public tempory use.
I do not know if this helps, for major roads contact council or dept. of highways.
travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Thank you travelergold. Yes, I know the temporary cropping regulations and, of course, even where no temporary fence has been erected (as a fellow farmer) you would not intrude upon that area. The idea of contacting Dept of Highways is probably the next best idea. Again, thank you for your response. Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Verges of Rural Highway? Empty Long Paddock NSW

Post  philip.j.thompson Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Controlled by Department of Primary Industries, although as with anything in NSW they are trying to get rid of the travelling stock routes with the claim they are no longer necessary. As usual short sighted views from those who live in NSW ( Newcastle, Sydney, Woolongong) who have no idea of what goes on beyound the iron curtain, mountains. Sorry, my rant, anyway at the moment nothing to stop you detecting there in NSW unless its a designated protected native plant seed area or somesuch. For these purposes there will be signs.
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks Phil. That's a wonderful bit of information. Very, very helpful Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I suspect that much the same thing applies here in SA too.

And you're dead right! 99.9% of those city drongoes and drop-kicks (Aussie wide) would NOT have a clue! geek It's only 2-3yrs ago that there were a lot of head of stock using the long paddock ... we were in the middle of a drought ... but city memories are short! Evil or Very Mad
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Verges of Rural Highway? Empty Verges Of Rural Highway

Post  Baggy Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Getascripter, I know of a bloke (fellow detectorist) who decided to detect on the verge of a rural road that runs through a property with the yellow stuff on it. The road is maintained by the RTA. Well he parked his car on the verge and proceeded to wander down the road detecting. After about 2 hours he returned to his car to find it completely filled with rubbish, weeds, household rubbish and the like. The property owner will not let you detect on his land which is his choice and gets very shirty even when people detect on the road verge. It is not his land yet treats it as his! Yes you are allowed in NSW to detect on the verge but be wary of jealous owners. If all else fails ask the property owner if he minds that you have a look around. Nothing lost nothing gained. Baggy
Baggy
Baggy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:37 pm

G'day Baggy, and thanks for that! Hmmm! Illegally entering a vehicle? Would have loved to catch him at it!! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil (That's 'evil' and 'twisted' ... Oops! Someone found me out!)

Some people really are weird & creepy! But yes, I do get your point. Very good advice. Thank you. Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:36 am

Interesting post, A while back coming back from a break down on the coast we stopped at Clermont Qld for a couple of days. I was fortunate to get a +10 grammer in one of the GPA's but saw some very nice looking ground all the road verges and thought to myself Hmmm might be worth a try. Might give it a hit next time I pass that way.

John
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Verges of Rural Highway? Empty Verges of rural Highway

Post  sandy2010 Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:47 am

In WA the mining leases encompass everything including bitumen roads......however there are restrictions placed on the mining companies eg. they cannot dig up the bitumen roads or operate within a certain distance of a homestead or dam and so on.........

Cheers & Beers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks Sandy2010 ... that's interesting! Funny how differing states have different regulations for the simplest of things affraid
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Hey baggy ... are you up at the Hill?? I've got a whole branch of the family up there ... Commons. Old Archie Commons was my Grand Father.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Verges of Rural Highway? Empty Re: Verges of Rural Highway

Post  Baggy Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Getascripter, Yes I live in the beautiful Hill and have heard of the Commons family. Its a small world when you come from the Hill. Baggy Very Happy
Baggy
Baggy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-06-28

Back to top Go down