Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

extreme / whites gmt

2 posters

Go down

extreme / whites gmt Empty extreme / whites gmt

Post  Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi all I do a bit of detecting in around ballarat but only have a chance to get out once a week or when I have a chance I have a gp extreme and have found some small pieces with it, just wondering if anyone has a whites gmt I see there a good price and might suit me for how often I get out or would I be better sticking with the extreme.. any advice??

Back to top Go down

extreme / whites gmt Empty Re: extreme / whites gmt

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Gday Auscritgold, I dont know anything about the Whites. I would stick with the Extreme, it is still a very good machine, I know because I have one and do very well with it. Very Happy Regards Johnny P.S Welcome to the forum with your first post.
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:33 pm

No probs thanks allot, interested if anyone has a whites and how they go..
Love reading the forum its very handy picking up little bits of info my names chris by the
way and often detect around Ballarat, creswick and Talbot only really chase small bits and
love doing it..

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Won't get anywhere near the depth of your Extreme, so If you are after bigger, deeper gold the Extreme is the go, BUT the GMT is a very good detector in junky area's and very sensitive to small gold and species.

Also a very interesting detector, light, handles hot ground well, interesting controls to play with and well worth a look Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 am

Gday Chris

The gp extreme is undoubtedly the better detector of the two, its a bit like comparing chalk and cheese if you want to compare the two machine for depth and capability.

But it all depends on your requirements, as you said you only do a small amount of detecting and really only want to get smaller bits, so then the Whites gmt or something similar like a minelab Eureka Gold would be just the ticket.

The upside to using these vlf detectors is that they have a more efficient descrimination than the pi detectors, they are light weight, no harness to wear, and are more easily stored, I have noticed that a lot more casual users are going back to the small lighweight detectors, especially people who are on the move like those tripping about in their caravans, its much easier to get out one of these kinds of detectors if you just want to spend a small amount of time in a golfields spot or in a park or on the beach.

A few people have said to me that they dont want a big detector as they dont want to be digging big holes to get the target, a valid point if you are an older person I think, they would rather be carrying a garden shovel or scoop, rather than a prospecting pick.

Price wise both of these detectors will come in under $1600, so you will have change over from the sale of your extreme, one thing though is make sure you get yourself a car charger so that you can charge the detectors batteries on the go, from what I have heard about the Whites gmt it sounds like it would be a good detector for working junky ground, and a good alrounder, but not having used one I cant really say for sure, I have a minelab eureka gold and its also easy to use and good for on the beaches as well as it is sensitive enought to get small gold things like chains and earings etc, with a re chargeable battery that slots into the control box, and pretty good descrimination, also getting any repairs done is easy as well with minelab here in Australia, I am not sure about the repairs and backup for the Whites gear being a US based company, a few enquires from the distributors will sort that bit out for you.

But which ever machine you buy I think a move to a more lightweight one will find you detecting more often, and it will be a lot more enjoyable for you too, good luck.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 am

hi
i own a very old whites gold master that i loved to death till the minelabs came out and i`ve not used the whites since.my whites has an eliptical coil and was very hot on small pieces and i did get a 28 grammer with it at about 8" deep.had it been 10" deep, i doubt that i would have got it.the extreme would find a 28 grammer at 10" easily.but like stayyer said the whites is a fraction of the weight & no need for a harness.my whites with batteries in it weighs about the same amount as a minelab battery.

Last edited by day one on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Chris I see that you are selling your Gp Extreme, does that mean you are buying a Whites? if so let us know how you go with it and how much Gold you find. Regards Johnny extreme / whites gmt Icon_rolleyes
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Sure dose.. The extreme is a great machine but like I said im after small gold and something lighter, from all the feedback I have been getting about the gmt they sound like a great machine and should suit for what im after. I have a small excavation biz and often go over my trenches so this machine would be best suited for that too.
will keep you informed if I strike any gold

cheers

chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:15 am

Mate.
I bought a GMT for the missus... for a lightweight machine with a geat discriminator that will find gold.. u cant go wrong... they are sudden death when working around the mullock heaps looking for itty bitty small pieces that some PI's dont see. Sure they dont have the depth of the PI's machines but at times and in some locations u dont need depth. They are also great for going over outcrops on reefs.

Back to top Go down