Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Tully maps onto OziExplorer

+2
Detectist
CostasDee
6 posters

Go down

John Tully maps onto OziExplorer Empty John Tully maps onto OziExplorer

Post  CostasDee Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:10 pm

I love using John Tully maps. I'd really love to get them onto my GPS through OziExplorerCE. Does any know if this is possible and if it is, what steps I must take to do it?
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

John Tully maps onto OziExplorer Empty Re: John Tully maps onto OziExplorer

Post  Detectist Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi - it might be useful for you to read the map help files for OziExplorer. You need to scan, then calibrate maps. Then, using OziCE is the easy part.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Yep - I agree. There is also a OziExpl' user group/forum that is good for clues.

You may need a full/registered version of OziExpl' to be able to calibrate images into maps. OziExpl has a merge utility (MapMerge ? is free) that will pull the pages together into a large map.

BTW - I recently bought some maps from Rudi Paoletti that included some files with CE in the name/extension. Maybe there is a CE version of a calibrated map ?

Cheers

Last edited by Auger on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo')
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks for all your help guys.
I managed to load 1 map in from 1 page in 1 book and that took me about 1.5 hours to do. I suppose I'd shave that down to about 1 hour maybe even 45 minutes with a little practice and a procedure happening. I'd want to cause I've got about 8 books and each has about 20 pages. I recon it might take me a month or so doing it in my spare time.
It does look really good though on my 7" chinese eBay GPS.
Once again, thanks for your help.
CostasDee
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm

That GPS receiver sounds interesting. I use a Garmin, netbook and external aerial when in the car (spaghetti city). A 7 inch screen would be much better when on foot/bike etc. Can I ask what brand the GPS is ?
Cheers
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Hmmmm eBay Chinese 7" GPS, that's all I can supply as there's really no other markings on the box. It's not a designer brand one like my TomTom. Here's the link to the one I bought... hope this link works... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170774188672?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 pm

C-D - thanks for that - looks OK - especially the price - Cheers
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes Phil, it is pretty good for it's price. There are cheaper options with less accessories or smaller SD micro cards. I've seen them as low as $85ish. And even though I got the USA and Europe and Asia maps etc, I saved them to my hard drive and then deleted them off the SD card cause I needed the space for the OziExplorer maps. I've got them, but will probably never use them, so you can save some money there.
I got mine with an 8Gig card & I did try using a 16Gig card that I had here and couldn't get it to work properly though. I copied the files over and then somehow they seemed to disappear when I went to run the program. I'm not too sure, but I checked the card that came with it and that is a Class6 card and my 16Gig is a Class4 card. Maybe it might not be quich enough for the GPS....not sure. I'll have to get my hands on a Class6 or above to retest this out.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 am

i suspect that the GPS unit was running Windows CE 4.2. To run larger cards you need at least Windows CE 5.0. Yep, I got caught that way too. Mind, 8gb of maps only is a hell of a lot of maps. I wanted to have music play as I was navigating along and 4gb maps and 4 gb music was no where near enough music!!
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 am

It's running CE6.0 so it should take the 16Gig. I checked the original and it was formatted at 32kilobits. I've reformatted the 16Gig to the same and and I'm just recopying all the info back on it. Should know in about 30 minutes if it has worked. Will let you know.

PS 3.5Gig Vic25k maps, 1.5Gig Vic50k maps, Primo2, Igo8. Removed all the extra languages to make it all fit and have about 600Meg left over. I figure the John Tully maps will need more than this, hence I'm trying to get the 16Gig working..
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Update:
I went out and bought a Strontium 16Gig Class10 microSD card and loaded everthing on it and it works fantastically. Maps all load and I could tell whn I was copying the info to it, it is a lot quicker than the Class4 (about 6M/s compared to less than 1.5M/s). This seems to have been the problem, so that was $15 well spent.
Now for the loooooong slooooow process of loading and calibrating the John Tully maps....
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Golden Slumbers Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:20 pm

CostasDee, Have you got the JT maps on a CD? or do you have to scan each map? i may be able to help.

I have most of my JT maps loaded on a CD but i have had problems calibrating them on Ozie, John Tully co ordiantes etc, i need to spend more time on it.

Golden Slumbers
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:46 pm

GS, I am scanning each map with 150 to 200 dpi as OziExplorer specifies. It is a very time consuming process so I would love to get a copy of the CD that you have. Hopefully they'll be the right dpi for OziExplorer. If they are good, I might be able to help you do the calibration in exchange or better still, given some time, give you a CD back with the calibrated maps. Win/win...
PM me & let me know if you are interested.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Golden Slumbers Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 am

No worries CostasDee,
PM sent

Golden Slumbers
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi CostasDee, do you know if the Tully maps will work on garmin etrex? I'm still trying to get my head around map overlaying with GPS. I have a Mac computer and I see there is no mac version of OziExplorer.

Cheers Ren...
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Ren,
You might get some idea/s from another forum -->
http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=4580
The relevant thread is --> Digital Mapping (by diggerdude)
Similarly, an open source GIS could be a way for you to process digital map stuff which may then be exported in a format that suits your device etc.
Just a thought - cheers - Phil

Last edited by Auger on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link to thread)
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for the link Phil, I.ll give it a go on my iphone then I try it on my garmin.

Thanks again, Ren...
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Why would you want John Tully maps on your GPS or OZi the DPI 1:50 000 Geomaps are the best maps for all your Geo Features in the goldfied

http://dpistore.efirst.com.au/categories.asp?cID=30

The accuracy of the 1:50 000 map are spot on the John Tully are not and you know they do have a copy right, not fare on John I know the hours and time he would of spent on putting those map books together. Keep them for what they were made for quick Reference while in the goldfields and use the Geomaps that were made with true accuracy to get you right ontop of X marks the spot ( Very Happy Just had to put that bit in Very Happy )
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum