Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GREAT TWO WEEKS

+3
Ren
kiwijw
snapper
7 posters

Go down

GREAT TWO WEEKS Empty GREAT TWO WEEKS

Post  snapper Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:08 pm

g,day, Two weeks ago i was invited to particapate in a two week prospecting trip with Link & Kim from Nuggets Down Under and Steve [ Madtuna ]. On this trip i met Paul from Swan Hill detectors and his mate Ian from bendigo. The afternoon was about setting up camp and Kim was digging nuggets and specimens right in camp and i was told that Link has a habbit of camping right on the gold. First thing next morning i started to detect close to camp and straight away found a piece of quartz a bit bigger than a golf ball with 7 grams of gold in it, i kicked it out of the way expecting to see some rubbish as the 5k screamed at me. The first week the group mainly found small nuggets and specimens up to a few grams and Paul, Ian and myself did a lot of night detecting and the small gold was slowly adding up, the second week was when the bigger gold was being found, i was first to get a good size specimen of 81 grams with 26 grams of gold, it was 19" down and i found it with the 24"x12" n/f, i had the detector in Enhance which i forgot to put back into fine gold after playing with the settings on some ground noise, i put it back in fine gold and the signal was much the same just a bit louder, i had to dig about 6" before i knew i had a good target and as i was so excited i forgot to take pictures, Paul was the next to get a good speci which he found 24" down, i put my 24"x12" coil in the hole and it was just below the surface, his speci had 3 ounces of gold with it showing all over unlike mine which had very little gold seeing daylight. Steve [Madtuna] then found a very nice 58 gram waterworn nugget which was all gold [see pic]. on the second last day i got another nice specimen 12" deep with 18 grams of gold in it, i had the 5k in deep, fine gold, mono, fixed, motion v/slow, gain 12, audio deep, stabilizer 10, target volume 12, on the last day Paul got another big speci with just under 2 ounces of gold through it, learning off these other fellas who are seasoned prospectors was all i could ask for and the most important thing i learned was to run the detector as quiet as possible or you will miss the big deep targets and dig those ground noises, dont be lazy and dismiss them, My tally for the two weeks was 80 grams of gold mostly in specimens but i was told that the 5k is realy good detecting specimen gold deep. I had a fantastic time and met new friends and now its back to being the lone ranger but with new found knowlage, [maybe not in spelling ha], pics below are [1] my gold tally [2] Steves 58 gramer [3] Pauls opencut mine [4] me in 12" hole that 18 grams of loverly yella came out of,, cheers Stu
GREAT TWO WEEKS Img_0410GREAT TWO WEEKS Img_0319GREAT TWO WEEKS Img_0328GREAT TWO WEEKS Img_0329

Last edited by snapper on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

GREAT TWO WEEKS Empty Re: GREAT TWO WEEKS

Post  kiwijw Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi there Snapper, That is way cool. Some great finds there. Thanks for sharing.

Happy hunting

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Well done Stu, that's fantastic Very Happy thanks for sharing your great story. Who gives a cow dung about spelling, you know how to find the yellow that's all that counts Very Happy Laughing Well done mate!

Regards Ren...
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Awsome collection there Snapper cyclops , no wonder you've got a smile on your face in the last picture Very Happy .
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  TTT Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:58 pm

hi snapper what a hard way to spend 2 weeks you must be exhausted with all that digging good to see you got rewards for it well done Terry

TTT
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 pm

terrific story and great gold mate Very Happy
well done
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 pm

terrific story, thanks. Great to see the pics too. Sounds like an awesome time.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  pommypaul Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm

very nice!

pommypaul
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Nice nuggets mate, well done Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 am

Great gold guys well done Real good pictures and great store as well. And tell us how is Madtuna going these days as we don't hear from him much these days?
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks fellas for your comments, Madtuna is going great, most of his time hes prospecting and out of internet range so i dont think he gets much time on here, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

GREAT TWO WEEKS Empty Re:GREAT TWO WEEKS

Post  Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 pm

G'day Stu good to see you are still getting some nice gold... We are still doing ok a little bit each day as they say they all add up... Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 pm

G,day Mike, it is amazing how quickly it adds up when just getting a few here and there, i spent a lot of time night detecting with a couple of others and those that had the 5k seemed to pick up alot more specimen gold than those using the 4500, are you heading back Leonora way on your way home cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

GREAT TWO WEEKS Empty Re: A GREAT TWO WEEKS

Post  Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:16 am

G'day Stu sorry I did not answer you earlier... Yes we are slowly making our way back down towards Leonora... Not sure when we will be down there... We are at Lienster at the moment only for one night and day... Then heading off again... Will try to keep in touch when we have service...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:04 am

some bloody nice gold there mate...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 am

Great report Stu and it was a pleasure detecting with you and I am looking forward to doing it again! I think the final tally for the group was approx 22 ounces!
@Wombat: hi mate, I'm still alive. As stu said I am out of net or phone range 99% of the time, based in the bush so rarely get a chance to post let alone even see internet.

Cheers,
Steve

Back to top Go down