Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleanskin newbe

4 posters

Go down

Cleanskin newbe Empty Cleanskin newbe

Post  Bushpiggy2 Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi all,
Bushpiggy2 here, so hello to you all. As the title suggests I am yet to find a piece of gold. It is on the list of 101 things to do before I die, however without finding anything on my first and only trip, last weekend, I can say I am hooked already. I am heading up to Oallen ford this weekend with my pan to have a look around. If anyone has a few tips about the area it would be most appreciated. I hear there is very fine gold there and it will take some work to get a few tiny pieces. Great, as I dont expect any to jump into the pan. I think looking for gold must be like fishing , if you catch one then all the better.
1 How far away from the river is it best to look?
2 How deep to dig down to the bedrock?

Good luck to all in your ventures
Regards

Bushpiggy2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Cleanskin newbe Empty Re: Cleanskin newbe

Post  getascripter Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm

G'day Bushpiggy2 Nice ta meet ya!

I have no idea about panning ... but I just wanted to say G'day and welcome. Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey presto Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Bushpiggy2, welcome to the forum. I don't know Oallen ford, but the easy answer is that gold is where you find it. You can try the obvious spots, crevices, behind rocks etc. Do a search on finding gold to help you understand how gold travels etc in rivers. I have found gold panning gravel and the clay under the gravel. The gravel is much easier to work as you don't need to break up the clay. If you don't find any gold, move to another spot and try again. Do you have a sieve to reduce the amount of large rocks you will be panning? Good luck. By the way, where I go there are friendly leaches, so some gloves would be handy.
Hey presto
Hey presto
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 am

G'day Bushpiggy2, i head out to the ford a bit, will probably be out there myself this weekend with my highbanker Very Happy .
The nice thing about the ford is allmost the entire gravel bar has some flood gold, so you will most likely find a few specs where ever you go. If you are on the gravel bar there is no need to try and dig for bedrock as it is only flood gold you are looking for mostly, so skimming the surface a few inches around an area works better than diggin a hole in most places.
If you are just panning and dont want to travel far people seem to do ok right neaxt to the bridge but there are other spots downstream that are just as good.

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:23 am

Gday Bushpiggy2, glad you joined up. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushpiggy2 Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:04 am

thanks to all for your advice. Research is under way.
Regards Bushpiggy2

Bushpiggy2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down