Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone

3 posters

Go down

Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone Empty Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone

Post  TutC Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Chaps,

Found a patch recently and have pulled about 13 grams so far, mostly small, shallow gold. The area is covered in spinafex and is mostly ironstone with yellow tinged quartz coming out of a spine of hills. All the gold is coming off the slope with nothing coming off the flat, even though the flat looks a better prospect. I’m running a 3500 with a 15" DD Commander ellip. I think this is a great all round coil for the 3500, but I need something that is less cumbersome and suited to small gold in hard to work terrain. Tried running my 16" Mono Nugget Finder but found it to be a bit noisy with the ironstone. Any sugestions on a good elliptical coil for working shallow spinafex, ironstone ground. Idea

TutC
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone Empty Re: Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone

Post  Guest Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Tut
Coiltek Goldstalker 14 x9 eliptical Mono or Nuggetfinder 14 x 9 eliptical super light.Both are lightweight and a joy to swing .Good sensitivity and great for those tricky areas.On the cheaper side a secondhand coiltek mini ufo is also worth looking at.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone Empty Re: Which coil for finding small gold in ironstone

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:05 am

You have the Commander 12 x 15" DD but want something smaller for your 3500, look here:

11 x 17" DD CoilTek
(These two below are good choices.)
9 x 14" DD NuggetFinder XP DD
5 x 10" DD Commander or C.T. Joey

Stock round 11" DD or round C.T. 11" DD

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  shanea1 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:12 am

I have a GP 3500 , and a beginner to found a number of nuggets with DD 11", I was going to get a small Mono but would it handle HOT ground near Avoca ? So I brought a 14" coiltek DD .

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  TutC Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendations chaps. I think I'll be leaning towards the DD coils as the ground is pretty noisy with my 16" Nugget Finder mono on. Was thinking of getting the 14x9 DD Nugget Finder. Could anybody tell me the difference between the normal coil and XP version and which one is better.
TutC
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down