Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep coil for finding gold ring

2 posters

Go down

Deep coil for finding gold ring Empty Deep coil for finding gold ring

Post  Tony2 Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Can anyone recommend the DEEPEST searching coil for an SD2200v2.

I'm trying to find a platinum/diamond ring lost in deep beach sand.

I'm thinking an 18" mono.

I need some more depth over the Coiltek 17x10 mini UFO.

Any ideas appreciated.

Tony.

Tony2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Deep coil for finding gold ring Empty Re: Deep coil for finding gold ring

Post  Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:17 pm

HI Tony
I would have thought your Mini ufo would detect the ring if it is at a detectable depth.There is a cutoff point where a metal object because of its size is undetectable.But in saying that by going to a larger coil you would be able to cover more area with each swing.Have you tried marking out the area you feel its in and thoroughly gridding it.You could also try running a dd coil over the area.If the area is highly mineralised a dd might cut though it.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony2 Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks Dig,

I know the spot to within about 10 square metres, the problem is they were digging in the sand deeply with their hands.

I have tried the mini UFO and Coiltek 14" DD Pro...no signals.

I'm trying to work out if there is an optimum mono size for typical ring sized objects ?

It appears that my research have some believing an 11" mono is best, whilst others would go for something in the 18" mono size.

The sand is nice Perth beach stuff....the mono purrs along nicely but the ring is likely to be > 13" deep. That's my max test depth with a similar sized ring, both coils about the same.

Thanks for the info....I would love to be able test a smaller mono and a bigger mono just to see if I can glean a couple more inches.

Regards,
Tony.

Tony2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 am

Gday Tony

I wouldnt have thought that a ring would have made it past the 13" mark without the area being washed over with the waves, once the wave action hits the spot it coulkd go down to a metre or more eventually, so I would be very surprised if you could not get it with an 11" mono at the moment, but its going to be easy to cover the area with the bigger coil of course, but will lack the sensitivity of the smaller coil.

Most rings are lost in the shallows as they slip from fingers that are wet, slimy from sun lotion or shrink from the cold, so I would continue my search from the spot you believe it is in to the waters edge if they were swimming, if the ring was left amoungst clothing and lost when the clothing was picked up then you will have to widen your search area, as the first thing people tend to do when they pick up there stuff is to give it a shake sending object flying in all directions.

If possible you could also try to grid the area into squares say 1 mtr by 1 mtr, this way you can cover each square and eliminate them one at a time, when you have done this to the area of interest then start gridding out from there in other directions, from my experiences of helping people to find lost stuff very rarely is it found in the spot where they think they lost it, and is more often than not found by just randomly criss crossing the whole area as a last resort.

good luck

p.s what are was the ring lost in? maybe someone might be able to help you out with a bigger coil or some extra legs to cover the place.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony2 Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 pm

It's down that deep because I can still see the dig area that they were in. Fortunately, it's lost past the high tide line so not subject to being saturated with incoming tides/waves.
We feel it's down that deep as he was vigourously digging with his kids and at times we estimate he was nearly to his elbows in some holes. Holes have been trampled in by the kids and then suddenly "where's my ring that's worth a brand new GPX4500"...if you know what I mean Shocked Shocked

The site is clean to about 12".....I just feel the ring is just another couple of inches deeper down. Don't need to widen the search area and this was the only spot he'd been on the beach.

Need a bobcat and take away some sand for sifting...don't think the council would approve somehow.

It's a chunky ring that weighs probably 10 grams. That's why I was wondering what sort of mono coil you guys would use for a target (similar shaped nugget) like this in neutral beach sand?

Thanks for the post,
Tony.

Tony2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Deep coil for finding gold ring Empty RE:deep coil for finding gold ring

Post  Fisherman Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 pm

G day Tony
I have found some very deep rubbish and a very very deep penny on a well flogged patch of dry beach sand while trying out a coiltek 14" round mono on my sd2000.
that coil seems to be a killer on my machine over sand / quiet ground.
good luck it always feels good to reunite someone with a lost item.
Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony2 Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Brett,

Thanks for that. I am thinking a bigger mono might be the way to go....somewhere between 14" and 18" for these ring sized targets.

Do you think the 14" mono would get a little deeper than my 17x10 Elliptical mono (Coiltek mini UFO)?

I'll keep you posted. Might get a cheap one off ebay.

Regards,
Tony.

Tony2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:01 pm

G day Tony rings can be tricky if they are laying flat (might not be as deep as you think)
I can't comment on the 17x10 as i don't own one but i do know that on my machine the 14" mono goes deeper on ring size targets than the 18" mono.
Hope this helps......Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony2 Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks Brett......it certainly does help.

The 14" mono appears to be an optimum size....any bigger then you're getting diminishing returns on ring sized objects.

Just need to test one against my mini UFO.

Thanks again,
Tony.

Tony2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Yes testing one on your machine before you buy would be a good idea, i doubt the old 2000 would have the same sensitivity with a bigger coil as a 2200v2.
Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:04 am

Tony
Email me thru this site (your name and address)and I will mail over a ctek 14 mono for you to try.Just boomerang it back to me when you are finished
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony2 Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 am

Dig,

You are truly one of a kind with a very nice offer.

The ring was found....2 guys spent about 6 hours and shifted and sifted about 6 cubic metres of sand.

A lot of work but definitely worth it.....

Really appreciate your generous offer......would have been interesting to see if it could have sniffed it out.

Thanks and regards,
Tony. cheers

Tony2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:10 am

Hi Tony
Thats great news