Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whites GMT

3 posters

Go down

Whites GMT  Empty Whites GMT

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 am

I am interested in peoples opinions of this detector please , i know its not a mine lab PI machine but does it have a purpose in a prospectors arsenal ? There is one on ebay which is fairly new but not sure if i should bid on it .
opinions please

Back to top Go down

Whites GMT  Empty Re: Whites GMT

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 am

hey mate, it comes down to what you are going to be using it for gold or relice? relice yes gold no, not a good fan off them at all for gold hunting.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi stoppsy
I was thinking i could use it as a fine gold specimen detector around rubbish ridden shafts and mullock dumps .
How do you find the on-screen discriminator to be fairly accurate? I've also seen them be used in streams which could come in handy for finding crevices containing gold .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:51 pm

i'm going to be upfront with this, i would reather see you spend money on a minelab than a whites. i found targets with the 4000 i had and we ranthe whites gmt over it and nothing we tryed eveything you could think off with the settings, it was gold and not that deep 2 to 3 inches. it would have to be a big target for it to pick it up i think. take note the dvds that come with them are american not australian. the grounds are different and don't run in australia like they do in america. i just think something that runs on AA baterys can't be putting that much power to the coil, like a minelab battery holds 8 volt and lasts for 8 to 12 hrs with the whites the AA batterys last 48 or so hrs... sorry for this mate but i would like to see you spend your hard earn money on something that has more chance off finding gold for you.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi again ,
Just to clarify . I already own a mine lab it is a gpx4500 . My question is does this detector have a purpose in a prospectors arsenal ? Meaning -ON "surface Float" Is this machine capable of finding metallic objects that a mine lab Pulse induction machine can't ? Im not talking about depth I'm talking about minelab/gmt coil touching quartz float signal/no signal mine lab/gmt ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:12 pm

stoppsy wrote: i just think something that runs on AA baterys can't be putting that much power to the coil, like a minelab battery holds 8 volt and lasts for 8 to 12 hrs with the whites the AA batterys last 48 or so hrs... sorry for this mate but i would like to see you spend your hard earn money on something that has more chance off finding gold for you.
cheers
stoppsy

I'm not sure about that, I think it takes 8 AA batteries, 8x1.5v = 12v if thay are in series, or 6v if they are in two group series etc, depending how they are configured as to the voltage and how much power is needed.

After even a top of the line Minelab Etrac still runs on AA batteries, it seems to be a given that the relic/coin machines are powered this way.

I am pretty sure you could run any of these machines from a similar battery to the 4500 or whatever if you wanted to be attached to the power supply with a curly cord or similar.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 pm

bruiser wrote:Hi again ,
Just to clarify . I already own a mine lab it is a gpx4500 . My question is does this detector have a purpose in a prospectors arsenal ? Meaning -ON "surface Float" Is this machine capable of finding metallic objects that a mine lab Pulse induction machine can't ? Im not talking about depth I'm talking about minelab/gmt coil touching quartz float signal/no signal mine lab/gmt ?

Not sure about this Whites GMT machine, but some are using the GB2 or GBpro to do just that

Back to top Go down

Whites GMT  Empty whites gmt

Post  cranky Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Stoppsy,

Its horses for courses time again, maybe the GMT won't do the same things as an ML 5000 so why try to compare them, after all the ML gpx's
will find targets that a GP Extreme would not find if you held it up to it. Rolling Eyes
As to battery usage....your GPX 5000 has a 12v li battery that due to the demands of the 5000 wil give you less than a days detecting but he lighter demands of a totally different electronics package that operates on 8 X 1.5v AA (= 12v) batteries will give the operator up to 40hrs of detecting. Cool Cool
As the owner of 2 ML,s SD2100 / GP Extreme and 2 x Whites Quantum XT / MXT I can assure you they are well matched across the board when it comes to finding rubbish targets but at least the excellent discrimination on each of the Whites gives you the choice to dig or not to dig (that is the question)...with my ML's I dig more holes to find junk than I do with the Whites (the energy savers) VLF's have been finding the good stuff for decades longer than the PI's have been around and are still being discussed as relevent on this forum currently. Shocked Laughing Laughing
Another point of view is why encourage others to buy machines that can make your supply of the AU to run out before you have found your retirement Nugget. Razz Laughing Laughing
You are generous to a fault so while you are being so helpful can you send me a map with big X on it please, I shall be in your backyard this coming weekend Wink Embarassed Laughing

Cheers Cranky
cranky
cranky
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Sorry, can't agree with you stoppsy.
I bought a GMT for my wife and I reckon they are a great little vlf
and do have a use in the goldfields, in fact a very interesting detector.

No they are not a minelab pi and yes the GPX's are picking up plenty
of very small stuff but they are 5-6 times the price and the GMT will still pick up
stuff they won't see.

BTW, not much good for relic's in my book, they were designed for sniffing gold Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  corydale Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:15 pm

i have a gmt- it is a great machine. with the right settings i hve found shotgun pellets at 3" in an area hammered by 4500's and 5000's.

i think if you like wet prospecting they are fantastic as you can use the digital readout to locate the mieralised deposits in creeks and start panning / sluicing there.
i find it very easy to use and extremely sensative- it even found a very large chunk of iron (1kg maybe?) at 2 feet depth. with the small coil it is deadly in nugget shooting in dry creek beds.
i was about to list mine on ebay as i was given a gp3000 recently and dont have time to use the gmt. pm if your interested- its less than 1 yr old and has 2 coils and maybe 10hrs use at most. note- mine is not the one currently on ebay.
corydale
corydale
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down