Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wind affecting threshold

4 posters

Go down

wind affecting threshold Empty wind affecting threshold

Post  bikehe Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi All, went out to a flat the other day and buried some lead targets at different depths with a mate just to get a better understanding of our 5000's. I'm impressed with how smooth these units are, but when the seabreeze started moving in both our units became very unstable. Tried doing the usual, tune, stabiliser, gain and quieter audio etc which helped a little but not perfect. I put it down to the wind 18+kn but can anyone confirm if it is the wind and what causes this. Any ideas, Thanks for any input

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

wind affecting threshold Empty .

Post  vic_nugget Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Did you have the salt settings on?
In special salt/gold setting. Check your manual or get a copy the PDF copy at minelab website.

vic_nugget
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

wind affecting threshold Empty Re: wind affecting threshold

Post  bikehe Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:14 am

Had it in normal, then tried all the other smooth timings with the selector switch on special as well. Ive got a copy of the minelab instruction manual that I downloaded which I take out to the field and keep the original one at home. Thanks for the suggestion.

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

wind affecting threshold Empty no worries

Post  vic_nugget Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:13 pm

no worries I just hope there's still gold in them thar hills and not just tin lol king

vic_nugget
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:57 pm

I've got a similar problem with my 5000 - it does my head in every time the wind gets up or the weather turns yucky. Picking up a lot of EMI from the weather I guess and no amount of tweaking seems to quieten it down so I get the sh*ts & go home!
Have checked all cables etc & using a Coiltek Goldstalker Blitz 14x9" eliptical atm. Is it worth trying a DD when the weather is like that? The ground was fairly mineralised in that area, but I had it running like a dream the other day. Using the B&Z booster too. Any help appreciated! Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm on a 4000 but still have the same problems when the weather is unsettled. To overcome it I retune (auto) more frequently,turn the gain down and turn the threshold up.If its really annoying me I'll change to a smaller coil.
Staples61

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down