Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wombat state forest

5 posters

Go down

wombat state forest Empty wombat state forest

Post  papoutsi Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:06 pm

hi , l have been detecting in wombat state forest and not finding anything except junk and finding it very hard going , as its very over grown. can anyone tell me if they have had any luck in there , or am l wasting my time. getting fit but thats all , cheers .

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

wombat state forest Empty Re: wombat state forest

Post  freemedia Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 pm

papoutsi wrote:hi , l have been detecting in wombat state forest and not finding anything except junk and finding it very hard going , as its very over grown. can anyone tell me if they have had any luck in there , or am l wasting my time. getting fit but thats all , cheers .

Hi papoutsi, I'd also like to know if anyone has had any luck in the place. I've only ever camped there many years ago.Have you been back and found any specks?

Cheers
freemedia
freemedia
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  freemedia Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:02 pm

papoutsi wrote:hi , l have been detecting in wombat state forest and not finding anything except junk and finding it very hard going , as its very over grown. can anyone tell me if they have had any luck in there , or am l wasting my time. getting fit but thats all , cheers .

Hi papoutsi

I went there a week ago and spent several hours finding countless air rifle slugs, .22 casings, heaps of iron nails,junk. The one that really tested me was digging up a tiny piece of cigarette packet foil!
Its a huge area to cover so I'll try again soon. Otherwise I'll head farther north.

Cheers

Freemedia
freemedia
freemedia
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  tagalt Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 pm

i was there last weekend,

nothing but junk, looks a bit better 30mins up the road in daylesford but still nothing, also fairly overgrown

tagalt
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  freemedia Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm

tagalt wrote:i was there last weekend,

nothing but junk, looks a bit better 30mins up the road in daylesford but still nothing, also fairly overgrown

Hey Tagalt,
I'm still learning to use my Whites GMT so I more than likely missed some small pieces. There were some areas in there that made my machine go real noisy, heaps of hot rocks for sure, so it made it very difficult to balance it. After some research on-line I believe a lot of the gold in the area is and was deep underground and not much on the surface if any. I'll still go back here and there mainly cos I like the area in general for exploring/hiking and its close to the city for a quick day trip for me. Meanwhile, its a shame to see so many shops closing down and for sale in Blackwood. Such a nice little town. Crying or Very sad

Very Happy
freemedia
freemedia
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 am

G,Day
Been to Blackwood a lot found nothing but a mate at the time did well on the heaps move out into new ground nothing,good luck.
Big Fella.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

This is a Gray area to me, I've been told one can prospect in Wombat and Lerderderg and I've been told you can't. Awhile back a dude at Minelab and I scrutinized the 'rule book' and came up with... maybe you can maybe u can't either way keep your head down and don't cause trouble.
I say this as on occasion I have gone for a pan at/around O'Briens crossing and on one occasion a ranger came and talked to me and asked if I was finding anything and he had thought about panning there a bit himself then another occasion another ranger told me I couldn't pan there but could over the hill on the other stream.
in the book it reads on the excluded list "Lerderderg River Tributary of Werribee River" which I believe also runs through the centre of Blackwood.
Either way a beaut place up there and some awesome mines to see, I love going to Easter Monday? mine. way up the back of Simmons Reef.
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  freemedia Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am

Hi Jerryx4,
I too have thought about this a great deal, and from my understanding on the matter; The difference is that one "Wombat" is a "State forest" while at Lerderderg (O'Brien's Crossing) is a "State Park". So prospecting would be allowed in Wombat Forest but not in the actual Lerderderg river that intersects through part of it. But since you mentioned that rangers statement of being able to prospect in the other streams other than the Lerderderg River in the actual "Lerderderg State Park" ......thats confused the matter even more! Surprised Maybe I or one of us can call the Parks Vic and ask.

Cheers
freemedia
freemedia
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am

Don't know if possible to confuse me more on the issue lol
Maybe same as shooting, you can shoot in wombat but not in Lerderderg.
Either way I have found only but tiny tiny specks in Lerderderg. Have more fun 4x4ing about to get to the spots Smile
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down