Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gp3500 settings

4 posters

Go down

Gp3500 settings Empty Gp3500 settings

Post  yellowmellow Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi All,

Like to know what settings I should use for a gp3500 please.

Cheers,
Tim
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Gp3500 settings Empty Gp 3500 settings

Post  MS Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Tim
happy to help ,but you need to let us know a bit more info.
ie what coils do you have , is the ground quiet,noisy,deep.shallow,are you looking for small or large gold.
What settings have you been trying and what problems are you having if any.
Also check out the info already posted on this forum as most questions have been answered before and reading up should give you a sound understanding of your unit which is a well and proven gold finder.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Gp3500 settings Empty Re: Gp3500 settings

Post  yellowmellow Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The coil that i will be using is the 17 inch coiltek ufo coil.

The ground is moderately mineralized.

The ground is various shallow and deep.

And iam looking for large gold.

Please post settings based on this info.

Cheers,

Tim
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Eureka,
If you're looking for large gold, and the ground is moderately mineralised with some deep areas, then I have to ask why the hell are you using a piddly little elliptical coil? Large gold, for me, is something over 5 ounces in weight and over 18" deep.

If I am targetting large gold I run a 20" or a 25" round mono coil, ground type permitting, or would settle for a 16" round mono if I absolutely have to because of grass or rocky terrain. If I am targetting small gold under an ounce and closer to the one or two gram mark then I might run a coil that size. If I am targetting fly droplets I would have no idea what coil I'd use because I don't bother venturing there. (btw I have pinged a 0.4 gram bit with a 24" x 12" coil so you don't essentially always need a small coil to get smaller bits)

The coil you have chosen could be run in Normal on the soil switch and also normal on the Audio. Being moderately mineralised I would run in tracking mode, using the medium speed selection. If I ventured onto the deeper ground I would switch the Audio selection to "Deep" to give me an edge on deeper targets. The Mini UFO is a good all round coil but tends to be noisy if bumped and is prone to false signalling because of this. For larger gold, if you like the elliptical shape, and I do, I would go for a 24" x 12" as a better choice, again depending on the ground and grass situation, but my preference would be for a 20" or bigger round coil for this application. Keep in mind that a larger mono coil will handle mineralisation better than a small coil. This is because a larger coil "averages" the ground better due to the area it covers, and also because it is not as sensitive to mineralisation. Smaller coils have more turns in their windings and thus are more sensitive, whereas larger coils have less turns but punch deeper because of their area.

The GP3500 is a great machine and runs well in Normal/Normal mode. From there you should be able to get most targets if you concentrate. For small bit select "sensitive" on the soil switch. Cheers and happy hunting.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Qld Sandy covered it well, the only thing I can add to that is put a target down for a test and adjust with the Signal and tone dials to give the best target audio , this can change a little between operators and hearing and I usually set both around 4 oclock, threshold so you can just hear it and coil close to the ground.
Good luck out there.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Gp3500 settings Empty Mini UFO

Post  Pennyweight Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi Sandy,
I also have had a noisy 17UFO, but I've also had 2 others over the years that were stable as granite. Our technician has found that most of the noise comes from the connector. The most noisiest UFO I have ever had took only 10 minutes to cure. He cleaned up the connections with elec solvent and straightened a couple of pins and now its as quiet as anything I have ever used. Being an epoxy filled coil, there is really nothing to flex to create noise except the cable & connector.

To be fair, Tim's idea of large gold might be something over 2gm which is his biggest so far. He wants to blitz that with a REAL multigrammer cheers He'll go for the big ones later with a much bigger coil no doubt! Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down