Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larger coils on mullock heaps.

+2
Universal1
march
6 posters

Go down

Larger coils on mullock heaps. Empty Larger coils on mullock heaps.

Post  march Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Hello all, would anybody recomend a larger coil eg, 14" and up for mullock heaps?
I'm trying to work out if there is any point using a 14" mono round (if i can get it to shut up) on the heaps as the 14" doesn't pick up smaller gold than say the 11"mono.
I seem to pick up small targets with 11" up to 1 foot deep.
I gather that the old timers would of not missed the larger bits of gold and only missed the small bits,(say up to .Cool so thats why the 11" is prob the largest to use!
Can anyone tell me if they have found larger bits with a 14" or bigger on the heaps or what would be ideal for deeper small targets?
Hope i haven't confused anyone!!
Cheers March

march
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

Larger coils on mullock heaps. Empty Re: Larger coils on mullock heaps.

Post  Universal1 Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 pm

The smaller coils tend to do better on mullock heaps although I've used a 17"NF with good results. If I plan to stay on mullocks I generally use a 14"NF elliptical that does well and a friend of mine uses an 8" commander on mullocks with very good results.
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Why not run over it with one coil and then drop a larger one on to see if u missed anything deeper.. Then a mini ufo to really have a sniff...
Just thinking out loud how i plan to hit my next area..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:51 pm

march wrote:
I gather that the old timers would of not missed the larger bits of gold and only missed the small bits,(say up to .Cool so thats why the 11" is prob the largest to use!

Cheers March
They did miss them, i proved that last week, u just got to beat the other guys with detectors to the heaps they havent worked over so hard..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 pm

G'day March.

If your digging deeper than a foot into mullock,your most likely aiming for junk targets. Its within the first top foot of mullock that the dug out gold bearing wash is normally found.So any of the smaller mono or dd coils such as the 8x6,10x5,8"round 11"round 12x7,14x7 or 14x9 (regardless of make) will do a good job of sniffing out the sub grammers or even the odd multy grammer within that foot mark. Keep in mind that the smaller the coil the greater the sensitivity and the smaller the gold it will pick up nearer the surface.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  march Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:55 am

What would i do without this site??? Thanks heaps guys.

march
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Shovel it into a ute and take it home and sluice it... bounce Then u know you got it all.But if you cant do that, swing swing and swing until u find whats left there...
And if u get a massive rain season, go back and hit it again..
You could always rake back 6 inches off each pile, and swing where no man has swung before.. Thats hard work, No pain No gain...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Larger coils on mullock heaps. Empty re larger coils on mullock heaps

Post  tirp56 Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:22 pm

mate the best nugget i got out of a mullock heap was 86 gr,and it was down approx 14",and i located it with an 11"coiltek mono,using a 4500,2 days later we went back and my wife got a 2.7gr about the 12"mark using same coil on a 4000,now all we use are 6"coiltek monos,but n the end it is all abouy what you are comfortable with cheers al

tirp56
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi March
If theres something to find the 8" and 11" or equivalents will all do the job nicely.As Koni said anything deeper is most likely something left at ground level and buried.There are certainly large nuggets missed in any diggings.Of course larger coils can be used to find the same gold but the ground is quite variable and you need to work a lot slower to minimise noise.Emi can be a huge drawback as well when working with a large coil on an angle.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down