Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor

+3
maka
gollstar
Deez
7 posters

Go down

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor Empty Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor

Post  Deez Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Gday everybody. On thursday i plan on firing up my tractor which has a grader blade on the front. I have an area id like to scrape a couple of feet of top soil away. This area is on my property. At the top of the hill i have a iron stone reef out of the ground which has several quartz veins running though it and i have done some test holes and found some small pieces of gold. All so one of the test holes revealed a quartz vein running though the centre of the hole at about 2 foot deep and it appears to be in a slate reef. What id like to know could anyone tell me the best place to start ripping some ground away ie at the top right next to the reef or halfway down the side of the hill or at the bottom in the gully. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Deez
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor Empty Re: Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor

Post  gollstar Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Find out what way its running get right on top of it then start taking it down.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor Empty Re: Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor

Post  maka Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Is the triangle the same as up here. A good reef runs SW to NE with a southerly dip? Or is it different down there?
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 pm

They go every which way here
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:07 pm

The majority of reefs here in vic run in a North - south direction or slightly NW - SE direction
predominantely dipping to the west ....

Cheers
gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Deez

You answered the question yourself mate, "start right at that test hole" where you got the prospect outa,
then work your way downhill keepin tabs on where the gold is coming from in your cuts, pile any dirt up neatly
so if you later want to run it thru a banjo you can set it up right next to each pile.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 pm

beepinpete's on the money with his suggestion! Also depends on how much room you've got to play with "Tree's etc".
I'd be inclined to start at your test holes and push the dirt 20 feet to one side, turn around and push dirt 20 feet to the other side, keep playing in this fashion until your at your 2 foot deep level! If you find nothing, you've just made yourself the start to a mini golf course?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm

G'day Deez

I'm not trying to spoil your party, but just because you own the property does not necessarily mean you own the minerals under it. If you only have a miners right you can still only use hand tools the same as the rest of us.

You need to peg an EL or some type of claim and get it passed the same as the rest of us would if we wanted to use machinery to dig with. Sad

If you just go ahead it's no real big deal to me, just want you to be sure you know, if you are going to be talking about it on here.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi deez,

All good advise, so all I can offer is another detector and a very keen pair of eyes an a great attitude, so if you would like a hand let me know. Not after anything apart from the rush of helping you find something??

PS have got a high banker if that helps in some testing

PM me if you want any help, as said not after anything, just love being out there

Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Davsgold just spelled out a very important fact, and I've tried to say it more than once, but always seems to fall on deaf ears. On your own property, have a well prepared lie to back you up so if someone dobs you in you have a good excuse for why you did it?? It's your property, do what you dam well like, just make sure your motives have an alibi that will satisfy your local council,"High altitude Mini golf course with a view", your property your idea! I needed that track to the cliff face, and another one going to the base, so my mates could gather me up if my shoot didn't open!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 am

Deez, a big mistake some people make when scraping , is to try to take too much off each time. To do it properly don't take more than an inch at a time and detect each cut thoroughly and also what you have pushed aside in the heaps. It is amazing what shows up after you scrape. Even a good vlf detector works well in this situation. Start below your reef and work down and worry about the top part later.
Good Luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:23 am

hey deez, i'll try and get out today to see how your doing but if not just message me and tell me how you go...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor Empty re: were abouts to scrap

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Deez,
If u have color - i would be doing some sampling/panning to see whether the reef has shed valuable gold already.
If so then sample the area well and stockpile the valuable soil/dirt to put through a dryblower or whatever u guys use. On quite a few occasions u will find more gold in this region than in the so called reef.
Then I would dig up the reef and only dig if the reef is gold bearing after u get the permit.

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 am

if it's in the way off your Mini golf course i would move it anyway.... Laughing
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

davsgold wrote:G'day Deez

I'm not trying to spoil your party, but just because you own the property does not necessarily mean you own the minerals under it. If you only have a miners right you can still only use hand tools the same as the rest of us.

You need to peg an EL or some type of claim and get it passed the same as the rest of us would if we wanted to use machinery to dig with. Sad

If you just go ahead it's no real big deal to me, just want you to be sure you know, if you are going to be talking about it on here.

cheers dave

yeh mate , davsgold is right
you could get into trouble if you don`t peg it.
i met a guy recently whose pegged his on land to do exactly what you want to do
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

There's a chap I know in a district between Hill End and Mudgee (NSW) who bought his property based on the gold that was found on it by the old-timer miners. He later brought in a dozer or a grader to slice off the top few feet so he could go over it with his GPX-4500. Unfortunately, council had access to updated satellite pictures which showed the progress on his property (only a small area). He told them he was clearing for a new dam for water but they squeezed him nonetheless and threatened to fine him. He's very frustrated that he can't dig further without a serious (and very expensive) legal consequence. The use of such machinery rather than hand tools like a shovel is considered "mining" and is not permitted under the laws and acts relating to Prospecting and Fossicking.

/Just sayin'

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor Empty Where abouts to scrap some ground with my grader blade on my tractor

Post  goldydawn Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Guy's,

ls that the same for the gold fields as well. Pegging the ground and getting a lease?

Goldydawn

goldydawn
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Where abouts to scrape some ground with my grader blade on my tractor Empty where abouts to scrape the ground etc etc etc.

Post  cranky Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Lots of good advice about the legalities / techniques and so on for building mini golf courses and the like, Cool

BUT, yep it's a big but, my experience of tractors fitted with scraper blades, backhoes, and other gadgets is that their handling is affected by these attatchments even on level ground......now take it up the side of a hill
and see what happens when you take a bite across the hillside.......Geez, I even saw a hitachi tracked excavator sitting up on its butt when the operator lost concentration working rising ground. affraid affraid

It's your ground there's no rush, get a pick n shovel.....keep fit and live longer. Wink Laughing Laughing

Cheers Cranky cheers cheers cheers
cranky
cranky
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Deez Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks very much everybody for your help and ideas and the legal side of things as i hadnt even thought of that. All your input is much appreciated. Cheers.

Deez
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down