Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would you feel if you found a tin with -

+5
mogy
Flakmagnet
GoldstalkerGPX
piston broke
Rob.B
9 posters

Go down

How would you feel if you found a tin with - Empty How would you feel if you found a tin with -

Post  Rob.B Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:11 am

If you found (Buried 6" deep) a biscuit tin which had a pen & paper inside which said-

Hi, my name is ?????, I buried this tin for another detectorist to find,,, please add you name & todays date, then rebury the tin for the next person to find.

Would you feel the 2 minute dig was a waste of your day or would you add your details & consider it a bizzare & table talk find?

Personally I'd get a bit of a buzz from it, it might be 5 years between being found and reburied.
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

How would you feel if you found a tin with - Empty Re: How would you feel if you found a tin with -

Post  piston broke Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 am

I like the idea, I think its a bit of fun. My first thought was though, someone would stuff it up for others.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

How would you feel if you found a tin with - Empty Re: How would you feel if you found a tin with -

Post  Rob.B Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:25 am

Stuff it up, do you mean throw it away?

If it was found in 150 years, the person who finds it would consider it a find from an old timer!

Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 am

Not sure of my thoughts of this, I have now found twice (seperate finds Laughing ) those cache things that the gps heads are into. Interesting what gets exchanged and the dates etc.

I found a tobacco tin 20 years ago when detecting, it rattled! I thought OMG someones lost stash!....but later when home (needed tools to get in) I found rattling rust. Surprised
It is not always the thrill of finding something of value!! any real detectorist will tell you that.

Something to consider......please people do not bury extra crap for us to dig up!!
i believe our puropose is to remove rubbish, not install it
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:37 am

fair call..... I wouldnt consider this rubbish, but others may.

BTW: I havent burried anything... My mate does the GPS geoteching you mentioned & the random idea popped into my head.

Speaking of rubbish, are shooters required to pick up shell casings, or can they just leave them as they do with no fear?
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:53 am

slightly off topic, hope it's ok...

There are some old timers here in the western US that
bury a nickel in the hole they find a nugget in,
as a way of saying thanks.

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mogy Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:53 am

And a bit further off topic, few years back I worked with antique firarms and having to take the lock out of a very nice hammer 12bore found underneith it was a coiled long blond hair !I can only guess the orignal owner had placed it there , was it his wifes ? , his lover ?, daughter ? found it quite moving to think how he carried it with him , and it stayed there long after his death .

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 am

I think after a few years with that tin in the ground it will rust away like all other tins on the gold fields. So it is only rubbish that we have to be content with digging up. As soon as the tin starts rusting the paper with the names and dates will start to break down as well. When this happens, what was the point of the exercise. So to me it is only rubbish and remove it. Plastic container or tube with lead shot made be a better idea.
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 am

after digging rubbish all day and then having to dig something like that i don't think some prospectors would be that happy finding that.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am

Might be ok if they left a gold nugget or two in there for someone to dig up. lol!
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:32 am

Digging rubbish is par for the course for this little black duck so it wouldnt bother me. I reckon a plastic container with a big bit of lead or brass would be the go;along with the note and a pencil.
We have to leave something for the next generation to detect Razz

Remember those alloy tags that some kind person left about the Triangle goldfields a few years back with some choice messages stamped into them? Now that would rub me the wrong way for sure Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:36 am

I used to put a marble in the hole where I had detected a piece of gold --- it took a long time to go through that little bag !! but when I had lost all me marbles I knew I was a real prospector!! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetninja69 Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 pm

At 6" deep I would'nt care 2 much but if I had spent an hour digging it out from 3 feet down i'd be pretty dark Mad
nuggetninja69
nuggetninja69
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Ah the blanked out sound of discrimination!

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Murachu wrote:I used to put a marble in the hole where I had detected a piece of gold --- it took a long time to go through that little bag !! but when I had lost all me marbles I knew I was a real prospector!! Cool

i think we lost our marbles a long time ago walking around in this heat!
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:22 pm

someday wrote:Ah the blanked out sound of discrimination!

Never trust your detectors discrimination mate......an overload signal can sound very similar Shocked

WHEN IN DOUBT....DIG THE BUGGER OUT!

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Its a small community and people often walk the same tracks when detecting.
I would happily write my name, and see whom else had been there before me... Could make for a great camp fire chat..
It wouldnt worry me in the slightest to dig one up, providing its not 3 feet down...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Gus wrote:
someday wrote:Ah the blanked out sound of discrimination!

Never trust your detectors discrimination mate......an overload signal can sound very similar Shocked

WHEN IN DOUBT....DIG THE BUGGER OUT!
The 5000's discriminate works a treat, it wont blank out till it's sure! I've berried my .6 gram bit of gold under some rusty tin to see how the 5000 would handle it "A two tone twitch twitch sound, not the blanked out signal you'd expect! Very Happy

Back to top Go down