Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newb needs help - Best VLF detector

4 posters

Go down

Newb needs help - Best VLF detector Empty Newb needs help - Best VLF detector

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 am

Just joined the forum and am thinking of heading out prospecting full time. I'm giving up the corporate rat race and taking some time for a bit of a breather for a year or two but I need some advice on whats a better VLF detector nowadays. Yes I know, that a detector is only as good as its operator but lets also not forget that a tradesmen is only as good as his tools. So I need to start with good tools. I'm considering Whites Goldmaster or Fischer Goldbug 2 and any info on there comparisons would be appreciated. Not the technical specs but field comparisons. Naturally I also intend to include a Minelab GPX 4500 or Extreme (modified) for deeper stuff but also the VLF for tiny bread & butter pieces and scouting new ground.

Location would be WA, north of Meeka, West or Wiluna & Newman.
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Newb needs help - Best VLF detector Empty Re: Newb needs help - Best VLF detector

Post  Beer Beeper Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:21 pm

VLF Suggestions for Hot Ground?, What would be your choice?

http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6087

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Newb needs help - Best VLF detector Empty Re: Newb needs help - Best VLF detector

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Most interesting, thanks...

Hot ground is definately a consideration.

...so now the list of possibilities expands to include Whites GMT, Fischer GB2 & Minelab XT705 Rolling Eyes
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56 pm

I have a whites MXT and I love it.

The new 18" x 15" SEF butterfly coil is massive and I've found my smallest bits of lead to date with it 0.2g. (no gold yet but i'm working on it.)

There's no discrimination in prospecting mode but it does still id on screen and by tone if it's ferrous or not. Big advantage is that I can speed up or slow down the SAT speed. I can identify multiple targets that are all under the coil at the same time and it'll sound out how many there are with differing zip tones for ferrous/ non ferrous as you pass over them. this way i know if there's a good target amongst the trash. I slow it right down for a little extra depth if the ground is not too hot.

I hope the GMT has this feature.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks for that Dicko. More to confuse me with

I kind of lied a little about being a newbie. I did a whole lot of detecting in the nineties but not recently and it seems the detectors have changed a lot since then. Seems as though the GMT does have VSAT but I don't really know what it all means other than being described as some sought of auto audio output. TBH in the past I used to use the goldbug on very hot ground and the thing used to scream like a housewife on heat but lifting it a tiny bit higher allowed you to still find those nuggets without loosing your sanity. I always have volume up loud so I could differentiate between the blunter tone of the hotrocks and the softer but short & sharp blips of metal. Sometimes I would need to kick a hotrock out of the way just to make sure. The funny thing is the hotter the ground the more gold there is too find b/c so much of it is masked by hotrocks. Thats why I am seriously considering the XT705 for hotter ground but also another (other than GPX 4500) for general use so now it seems 3 detectors maybe the go and may need to sell my house lol

Let me know how you go with the MXT.
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Nebuchadnezzar

Seems as though the GMT does have VSAT but I don't really know what it all means other than being described as some sought of auto audio output.

Variable Self Adjusting Threshold!
The control knob adjusts the speed the GMT recovers it's threshold "hum" when the coil passes over changes in mineralisation, too slow and you can miss targets, too fast and you lose depth.

Great little detector! auto GB, but you end up not using it because it has the fastest manual GB ever.
My advise? Buy one.
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down