Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

+15
detecta2
countman88
BradShell
kon61
Bullet
Rustydog
gef50
astrogold
gollstar
Inhere
maka
Acrux93
shelby23
tricky 1
nero_design
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory - Page 2 Empty Re: A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

Post  Guest 13th October 2011, 11:50 pm

30 Ks, you need a bigger Esky!

Back to top Go down

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory - Page 2 Empty Re: A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

Post  Bullet 13th October 2011, 11:53 pm

Road train chiller units will do the job. Now this is a good idea, woo hoo lol!
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 13th October 2011, 11:55 pm

Honestly folks, I don't look for snakes at all. Stomp away saying nice snake's is all I ever say! My method, It works for me!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet 13th October 2011, 11:57 pm

I get a bit nervous, I feel a bit of tapping on the back of my legs. It's the damn curly cord. found out I can still jump high for my age. Laughing
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 14th October 2011, 12:04 am

Only high Bullet. Like a cat on a hot tin roof I tell ya.

Cheers kon61.

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 14th October 2011, 8:35 am

Gday

Its not so bad when you can see the snake, anyone else ever been bitten on the back of the leg by a stick?, a couple times now I have walked under trees and through leaf litter and sticks, stepped on a stick and it has jumped up and bitten me on the back of the leg, gives you a bit of a start.

A mate told me of having his face struck at by a snake once that was in a tree as he walked past, so its not only the ground you have to keep an eye on when tramping through the bush.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory - Page 2 Empty Snake alert

Post  BradShell 14th October 2011, 4:41 pm

They are definately on the move, several sightings of large snakes around Cue atm. One just yesterday, sighted close to town, passed very close to where Brad and some mates are working. It was just passing through though. The boys watched until it headed back out into the scrub. I even caught a baby at the door to our local grocery store two weeks ago, and moved him or her into a nice creek area out of town.
And a big yes to StayerAU I have been struck by the dreaded stick snake and just about jumped out of my skin. But on a more serious note I was also struck by a Brown snake in the Pilbara a few years ago. Luckily I was wearing Boots with Gators over the top. Moving through long grass to detect a clear spot I trod on him, it made him a bit grumpy Smile
Shell
BradShell
BradShell
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 14th October 2011, 6:44 pm

Gday

I Forgot to mention that last time detecting outside of Karratha I saw a big snake skin laying in a ditch at the side of some old scrapings, I tried to pick it up but it just fell apart, must have been there for some time, anyway it was a lot more than a meter long and about 6-8 cm wide, and I dont know from what breed of snake it came from (King Brown--Python?) but looked to be a serious bitey capable of holing the boots and gators.

Made me pay attention while walkin through to the spinifex though.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  countman88 14th October 2011, 7:25 pm

So, will a pair of rubber boots be enough protection, can't imagine a fang getting thru them.
Cheers
KenD
bris

countman88
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 14th October 2011, 8:48 pm

Snakes must be thriving, far west NSW looks awsome at the moment,the deserts have turned green, roos emus lizards snakes, there all over the roads, one thing I did notice was a lack of sightings of wedgetail eagles, usually see plenty but this trips just a couple of road kills.
Just met up with a beautiful snake in a creek at Milparinka 5 foota,glowing golden yellow, copper brown head,just walked 100m from the car,stopped to dig a target and turned to see him about 10m behind me between me and the car, followed him all the way back to the car he actually stopped while I got the camera and took his photo then as I got into the car he did the bolt for the car ,but as it moved he turned and shot into a little bush, even looking hard you couldnt see him under the bush,all the time he was watching me watching him ,vise versa.
Saw a huge ready brown thick bloke on the White cliff road 7 or 8 ft, the biggest I've ever seen in the bush.
And between Wilcania and Cobar ran over 2 browns and about 6 big lizards, when your towing a van at 100ks and theres always someone sitting close to the back of you theres not much diversive action you can take.What a horrible way to go ,sitting out there enjoying the sunshine and bang,its all over,phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  maka 16th October 2011, 7:57 pm

Being noisy doesnt always work, so be aware of that and keep ya eyes peeled.
I was doing some panning and neally stood on these 2, i walked right around them and very closely. They froze and didnt move an inch...
I then moved futher away and sat silently for about 5 minutes watching them, they have great senses and didnt flinch until i had gone..
2 Links below to see how close i could get to them with a phone camera...
Sorry about the camera work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXY7dS4Vb1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64GkjJ6hV4Q
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer 16th October 2011, 11:12 pm

Ken D if it is too hot to wear rubber boots an alternative is to cut the tops of some old gumboots leave a little bit of flare on the bottom when you cut them. You can punch lots of little holes in them so they can breathe. Simply wear them like gaiters. Slip them on then put on your detecting boots.

I saw 5 snakes while detecting today in the high NSW tablelands. All very big tiger and brown snakes and they all still had dull skins that had not shed since coming out of hibernation. They appear to be cashing in on the frogs in swampy areas that are everywhere due to good rains.
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  countman88 17th October 2011, 12:57 pm

That sounds like a good idea Tributer. I will wear my gum boots as they are the first time out to see how I go, but will try your suggestion if I find it too hot and uncomfortable..

Cheers
KenD

countman88
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong 17th October 2011, 12:59 pm

That's a neat idea for heavy duty gaitors Duck.
Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer 17th October 2011, 2:46 pm

Yeah someone originally suggested the cut off gumboot tops on this forum? a few years ago?
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 17th October 2011, 8:30 pm

Just wrap bubble wrap around your legs, the big bubble wrap that is. An if you hear a pop you know a snakes biting you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman 18th October 2011, 7:12 pm

Back yesterday from Mount Browne (Milparinka) and Tiboburra and in 12 days of detecting did not see one snake even though I was covering different terrain including gullies. Couple of lizards and skinks but that was it. Was speaking to a woman in Tibo who had assisted at a post mortem for a 10-year old child bitten by Taipan. She said the boy had 21 bites, including on his head and face, so I am losing some confidence in gaiters that don't even go to the knees. In fact they may give the wearer an unhelpful sense of invulnerability when that's not the case. I'm thinking go slow and make lots of noise.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  thelion 25th February 2013, 7:17 pm

had a big Python slither in the front door just a few weeks back, just over two metres long! Suburban Darwin, have in the past woken up with a Western Brown in the bed! Would say the wife was trying to bump me off but she was in the bed as well LOL

thelion
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2