Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

+15
detecta2
countman88
BradShell
kon61
Bullet
Rustydog
gef50
astrogold
gollstar
Inhere
maka
Acrux93
shelby23
tricky 1
nero_design
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory Empty A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 am

Major snake alert just issued by the Northern Territorian government and local councils. The snake population has exploded up in that part of the world and they reckon brown snakes are everywhere and some are giants. So those prospecting or camping in the northern parts of Australia be extra careful all........

The alerts are just coming through now on breaking news on the Sydney Daily Telegraph website.

Back to top Go down

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory Empty Re: A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

Maybe its just the Bankers, real estate agents and car and mobile sales men having a convention in the NT at the moment...... He he he

Back to top Go down

A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory Empty Re: A Major snake alert has been issued in the Northern Territory

Post  nero_design Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am

Anyone got a link to a news article on this so I can screen-grab it? Can't find anything yet.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 am

or julia is on a sneak visit.
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 am

Snake NT
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/10/06/264861_ntnews.html

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Acrux93 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 pm

nero_design wrote:Anyone got a link to a news article on this so I can screen-grab it? Can't find anything yet.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/snake-plague-strikes-northern-territory/story-e6frfkp9-1226159873825
Acrux93
Acrux93
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm

With the Mice plauge and plenty of Frogs n lizzards about after all the rain,it should be a ripper of a year for those `Joey Blakes`.
Tread carefully everyone....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:27 pm

the cain toads will keep them down.

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Plenty in Brisbane aswell...
This one was having a swim in a puddle on the road edge, it was very hard to see, and easy to step on .. Thats why i wear gators..
I have vids of me holding it, but wont post incase kids see it and think its ok to just pick one up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DFyA71wUXY&feature=player_detailpage
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks for the links posted. Much appreciated.

I intend to wear my Gaiters each time I go out detecting this year.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Sounds like a smart move Marco but I wonder If they are high enough.

I've had the odd brown stand up and face off, so I reckon that it is possible
for them to bite near waist high. I believe the main thing is to see them first. Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Last weekend i was detecting around some rocks and rolled a large one over with my foot and yikes SNAKE he was more surprised than me i think, he went to come at me had second thoughts lashed about a bit and went down a hole that was under the rock, thank ***** i didnt use my hands or other wise i might have needed a new pair of jocks.

Arnt they cute. NOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otftm54TQNg

They can strike high i ran over they tail of one the other year and went back around to put it out of its missery but i only had the short handled shovel with me and it was rearing right up hissing and striking in all directions i looked at the short shovel and looked at the snake and thought stuff that so went around with the car again.

gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  astrogold Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:57 am

ran over a snake last year, somehow it ended up in the boot of my car...
astrogold
astrogold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up .. I generaly see 2 or more when I go out ... and yes have step on the odd one also .. I just make a lot of noise when walking about
gef50
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustydog Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:01 pm

its not only the top end to worry about , so far i have only seen 2 dead on the road but my mum lives about 15 minutes from me and in the last month has killed 8 around the house.
even when i go to rushworth now chasing gold i am on constant look out as where there is water there is frogs and with frogs come the snakes
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Saw one sunning itself in the gutter about 2 weeks ago in the suburbs of a major city/ Only a red-belly but still it was about 3 feet long and the minor birds were dive bombing it from the power lines for some reason.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Walk loudly and don't look for them works for me! Showing my brother my New 5000 at Swan Reach last summer, Long grass I just stomped through, My brother took the longer route?
What your worried about snakes??
Mercury poisoning was the biggest concern, We were having Shark for Tea!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:55 pm

I hate snakes. Deader the better and I don't care what people say. fill em full of mercury if you have some or feed them shark meat.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 pm

That squishy feeling under foot "Huge Escargo" and don't look back, why would you anyway, you just detected that space!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 pm

After a week in the scrub I have a squishy feeling under my feet anyway. I just don't want something curling around my leg and biting me.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:15 pm

That's Excess cargo? You could always use the snake for a belt! No size implied!

Last edited by someday on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Yes it is but ya can't waste water and I'm not washing my feet with my precious beer supply.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:23 pm

G'day Explorer.

Only to be expected.Considering this years insect population and lush plant growth,I wonder whats waiting for us here in VIC.The blowflies are already buzzing,and the baby orbs have started spreading webs by the millions.Only last week,spotted a couple of brownies by the side of the road heading though Maryborough to Dunolly.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Walking loudly don't always work with adders or tiger snakes! No Embarassed

Maybe you need to buy a charm. Razz
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 pm

if ya don't like ya mother in law, get her to walk out front. lol!
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 pm

A bowl of beer at each corner should stop the buggers and make's it easier for us of a night time when we get thirsty. Corners are easy to find!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 pm

What happens if the esky or fridge gets emptied, I ain't fightin the mother in law or did you mean bowls of booze for the snakes. same thing I guess.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:38 pm

If the Esky's empty, run for your life, the pub can't be that far away! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 pm

always stay within 30kms of the nearest town. it's not worth dying out there.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:48 pm

and I can last 30kms till I get my next beer lol!
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next