Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...)

3 posters

Go down

Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...) Empty Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...)

Post  Chimpy Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 pm

I, sorry, a friend of mine used to be a copper down in Melbourne some time ago and I've recalled a story from just over 20 years ago. This 'friend' worked at Sunshine when a group of local young teenage ratbags were done for about 90-odd unsolved house burglaries in the Braybrook-Maidstone-Sunshine area spanning 18 months. During interview the ringleader fessed up and sang like a bird. To cut an otherwise long story short they always took any jewellry they found but had no way of getting rid of it so after each burg this scrote rode his bmx to the Maribyrnong River and threw it all into the river from the same spot each time. Though not nescessary as evidence, an effort was made to recover it for victims and insurance companies. Police divers spent about 2 hours sifting through the silt by hand and recovered about a dozen rings before giving up. It was estimated at about $80k total by the insurance companies. I always had it on my 'to do list' but wives, kids, work and moving interstate got in the way. To my 'friends' knowledge nothing more has ever been done about it (unless some fat detective has gone for a midnight swim). I have no idea who would have rights of ownership now but thought I might tell the story before I forget it forever

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...) Empty Re: Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...)

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 am

Interesting indeed. cheers

Back to top Go down

Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...) Empty Re: Maribyrnong Millions (well at least a few thousand...)

Post  Brickie Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:15 am

The Maribyrnong is a big river, and its wet too. lol!
Brickie
Brickie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:51 am

If Insurance was paid I would expect the Insurance company would own any jewellery found Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Chimpy Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm

All the ratbags were from the housing commission in Braybrook so the park by the river just north of there is where they went, I'm just not sure which part. There were so many burgs that X% would have been uninsured and the rest would be covered by many insurers. I really hadn't thought about it for at least 10 years but reading a post about a member being robbed and the fact it's a gold site connected a few dusty wires in the brainbox.

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:27 pm

That'll be Cranwell Park, I grew up there.
I was just down there 2 weeks ago having a walk looking at the river!
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down