Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie from the west....Help please.....!

3 posters

Go down

Newbie from the west....Help please.....! Empty Newbie from the west....Help please.....!

Post  thesecret Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 am

Hi, I am very new to this hobby, I heard this is one of the most rewarding hobby in the world. I hope this is true. Anyway My findings will not limited to nuggets but relics, coins..etc I am going to start finding with X-Terra 705. Is it a good detector to find all of above? Will I able to start detecting straight out of the box with standard equipment?? I live in Hillside, Victoria (West Region). Please tell me a good place to start with,, your help will greatly appreciated. Cheers..!
Question

thesecret

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Back to top Go down

Newbie from the west....Help please.....! Empty Re: Newbie from the west....Help please.....!

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am

sunny

Last edited by RiverSluicer on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Newbie from the west....Help please.....! Empty Re: Newbie from the west....Help please.....!

Post  maka Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm

-28.219241 lat lon 152.033879
Guaranteed nuggets there..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Newbie from the west....Help please.....! Empty Also a newbie with an Xterra 705

Post  fatninja Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi The Secret!

I own an Xterra705 as well and I am so far happy with. I have just managed to set it up
And make it work in the Gold Fields with minimal disturbance fom Ground Noise (ie High Mineralization).
The trick is to Re-Ground Balance everytime you pick up a target. I was with Maka over the weekend and I found a dozen nuggets of "lead". Yup, lead. Someone must have been mocking around with that stuff there a hundred years ago. Anyway, I tried testing my Xterra on one of Maka's finds and it picked it up no problems at all. Just need to do GB when it gets too noisy.

There will always be the Iffy ones that will make you dig up a crater only to find out it was just Ground Noise,
But hey, its all Good exercise! Lolol!! If you have some spare cash, you may not need to dig it up with a pick but get a Bobcat like someone from here did...Hahaha!

I reckon you also have the Gold Pack? Try and get the 6" High Frequency DD Coil as well. Hurry,
They are running out the door pretty quick.

Ordered mine yesterday. Still waiting. Apparently they are more sensitive and can punch deeper
Than the 5 x 10.

Good luck mate!

Paul

fatninja
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:36 am

Hi Thesecret,
And welcome to the forum.
Read as many post here and you will learn heaps.You can join the prospecting club and learn from fellow members.Also they have a monthly trips to goldfields and that is great opportunity to meet and learn.
Buy some maps.There are lot of members who go detecting on weekends from Melbourne.Some forum members are organizing the Melbourne Cup long weekend and we might go to Laanecorrie for detecting trip.Great chance to spend a day or weekend and meet other forum members.
Hope to see you around.
Cheers

Back to top Go down