Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skidpads and batteries

4 posters

Go down

Skidpads and batteries Empty Skidpads and batteries

Post  goldsal Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 am

Hi, I'm now two weeks into my adventure into gold detecting with a GPX 5000. I have two unrelated questions regarding equipment.
Because I haven't access to any training here in SE Qld. I'm having to rely on the forum for answers.
So here goes: What are people's opinions on using skidpads to protect their coils? I'm already noticing some scratches on my mono coil.
Second question: I spend a lot of my time disentangling myself from all the cables etc. when I need to dig...... and I've noticed a few people have put their battery onto the shaft instead of having it on their back. It would seem a much easier and quicker way of detecting, but are there any downsides to this technically? I mean does the close proximity of the battery to the box affect performance? What about the extra weight factor - yes I'm a woman with not so big muscles as you blokes!

goldsal
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-09-20

Back to top Go down

Skidpads and batteries Empty Re: Skidpads and batteries

Post  TheH0ward Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:54 am

gday goldsal

i am a bit of a coil scruffer, so skidplate is a must for me but i clean between the plate and the coil on a regular basis.
As for batteries, im happy wearing mine on my back. The more i carry on my hips, the less heavy it all feels (especially now i use a hipstick, my saviour, lol)
i dont tend to get tangled in leads, although i did on my first few trips out. But now i have a system of where i place the detector and how i dig, no more entwining. I was amazed how many times i tied my own arms and legs up with the battery lead lol.

cheers Smile

TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:46 am

My Wife swings a GPX fitted HipStick and a Li Poly battery that slips in a side pocket of the box cover. The battery is 5000 mAh and lasts about 4 hours when she uses the amp and speaker (totally cable free). Whole set up is under $300.

Use a skid and keep the coil to the soil! Keep the dust and dirt out of the skid by tape or silicon or just remove and dump often. Or use a metal free 2 part epoxy to coat the bottom for protection. And don't forget to protect the cable end by using a "Cable Thing" and a plastic cap over the cable end when not in use.
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Goldsal
I was just wondering about the skid plate question as the coils come standard with the skidplates attached,did you remove them or something as it seems odd.They are actually quite a tight fit and not that easy to remove.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down