Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab - passcode for detectors

2 posters

Go down

Minelab - passcode for detectors Empty Minelab - passcode for detectors

Post  woody Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Sorry to hear Jeff's detector was stolen, I will keep an eye out for it as many detectors pass through the workshop here.
Minelab should incorporate a 4 digit lock code into the detector with a choice of enable or disable via the rotary controls on the display board. Basicaly enter a new software mode where you dial a number 0-9 and use the other rotary to select, repeat 4 times with the correct code be it 5476 or whatever and the detector powers up, say you enter it 5 times wrong the detector goes into lockout and will need to be reset via minelab with a master code known only to them. They do this on $80 car radio's so why not on a more expensive item?

This can be incorporated into the existing GPX detectors with a small code rewrite, its not hard to do, maybe a day or two of test coding and a stolen detector is useless to the thief.
woody
woody
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-03-23

http://detectormods.com

Back to top Go down

Minelab - passcode for detectors Empty Re: Minelab - passcode for detectors

Post  gollstar Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Good idea, if you forget the pass code you can ring minelab and after they verify who you are via password mothers maiden name etc they can give it to you, and to get the password you should have to give the serial number which can be checked against a stolen list no serial number no pass codes. after this they call you on your registered number and when selling your detector you ring minelab and give them the details of the new owner.

My detector is worth more than my car and is the single most valuable thing i own im all stressed out now about it being stolen ( looks at detector)
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down