Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats your deepest nugget

+6
Qld Sandy
bencld
echidnadigger
Jonathan Porter
nero_design
Newhunter
10 posters

Go down

Whats your deepest nugget Empty Whats your deepest nugget

Post  Newhunter Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok what is your deepest nugget you have found with your 4500.
Just would like to know what size nugget you have found and how deep it was.
Thanks Newhunter Question Question Question Question

Newhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Whats your deepest nugget Empty Re: Whats your deepest nugget

Post  nero_design Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:23 am

Two deepest targets last year: Note however that Larger targets (gold and scrap) were dug ...closer to the surface.

Target #1 (deepest nugget): Gold Nugget with no inclusions or large holes.
Weight: 29 grams (flat shape - "shield nugget").
Depth: 20 inches (almost 2 feet).
Soil Type: Highly Mineralized with clay & wash gravel.
Coil: Default GP-Series Double-D 11" coil.

Target #2 (deepest target): solid Iron Scrap (1850's).
Weight: 12 grams (2.3cm long - flat, triangular shape).
Depth: 24 inches (2 feet).
Soil Type: Highly Mineralized with iron clay pockets & wash gravel.
Coil: Commander 15x12" Monoloop Coil.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Newhunter Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:48 pm

It must b true no one is finding gold at any depth with the 4500. Sleep

Newhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm

My deepest is a 70 gram solid at 24+ inches in the edge of a creek mid last year using an 18" Nugget Finder monoloop using Normal timings, medium tracking, 8 on the Gain (not measured but have dug enough deep holes over the years to know when they get past the 2 foot mark).

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:My deepest is a 70 gram solid at 24+ inches in the edge of a creek mid last year using an 18" Nugget Finder monoloop using Normal timings, medium tracking, 8 on the Gain (not measured but have dug enough deep holes over the years to know when they get past the 2 foot mark).

JP
Hi JP,
Thanks for giving you best depth gold target. Everyone that is not in the know asks: "How deep does it find gold?" I say " It all depends on the size of the coil and the size of the target.
I think you have just answered many prospectors questions.
Dare I say that the best answer from me in future will be that: One of the best in the top 10% has found a bit over two ounces of gold At 2ft with an 18" mono.
Everyone new, seems to think that these machines can see gold at any depth.
They are,(these machines) as you know very well are very limited, yet they work well within the field they are given.
I heard a story recently that someone dug a hole over 5ft deep. "That's unfair information for a new bloke"
Truth is: within 2ft, if members are using the right coil they will find gold. Small gold fades very quickly from the coils field as it gets deeper from the coils field. With that said, I will keep digging if I get a signal in virgin ground that keeps going after 2ft. Very Happy
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  bencld Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 am

2 weeks ago with the 4500, a 3 gram piece at 12 inches measured with a NF 12X7 mono. I was up close to powerlines and had the motion in very slow and the gain at 2 ! Hate to think how deep I could have got with the gain at 8 or so !

Last Thursday a 1.03 gram piece at 8 inches measured with a NF 12X7 mono. Gain 6 this time.

A .7g piece at 7 inches measured with the 14x9 Stalker coil.

Chris.
bencld
bencld
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Best for me recently was a 41 grammer flattish piece from a measured 24" in Enhance timings with a 20"NF fibreglass mono coil. The mates 18" NF mono never signalled on it until we were down around 8" and that made me take a step back I can tell you. The 20" said dig so we did. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Are you sacrificing small nuggets with the 20" mono? I have a NF fibreglass 20" SL XP DD and love it. I would think that the fibreglass goes just as deep as the plastic coils. I have heard that the fibreglass NF's have a following. Do some prefer the performance of the fibreglass coils over the plastic coils or there is no difference?

Probably no good for smaller nuggets but NF made a 30" mono at one time probably a prototype. Maybe it did not work in the real world? (Bottom right photo.)
http://www.nqminersden.com/visitors_and_friends2.htm
and
http://www.nqminersden.com/images/bigbertha.jpg

This was said by CoilTek when the 14x9" and 18.5x12" GoldStalkers were out, before the 16" and 18" came out:

"Designed for the new GPX detectors these Monoloop coils have opened up new possibilities in gold stalking. Testing suggested optimum sensitivity when compared to other Monoloop coils of similar sizes. Targets have already been found at excellent depths including an 1880 silver thruppence at 750mm on a GPX4000!"

About a 3/4 to 1" silver coin at about 29"(inches) with an elliptical coil! Now that's deep! (Maybe silver detects deeper than gold? I do not know.)

I would like to see a depth test comparison between a GoldStalker vs Advantage of the same size coil. Has anyone done one yet?
(If you are comparing round 18" monos against one another, throw in a 3rd coil, being a Commander in your comparison test IF one is available.)

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:02 pm

A threepenny bit has a diameter of 5/8 inch. A sixpenny bit is 3/4 inch diameter.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Beer Beeper wrote:Are you sacrificing small nuggets with the 20" mono? I have a NF fibreglass 20" SL XP DD and love it. I would think that the fibreglass goes just as deep as the plastic coils. I have heard that the fibreglass NF's have a following. Do some prefer the performance of the fibreglass coils over the plastic coils or there is no difference?

Probably no good for smaller nuggets but NF made a 30" mono at one time probably a prototype. Maybe it did not work in the real world? (Bottom right photo.)
http://www.nqminersden.com/visitors_and_friends2.htm
and
http://www.nqminersden.com/images/bigbertha.jpg

This was said by CoilTek when the 14x9" and 18.5x12" GoldStalkers were out, before the 16" and 18" came out:

"Designed for the new GPX detectors these Monoloop coils have opened up new possibilities in gold stalking. Testing suggested optimum sensitivity when compared to other Monoloop coils of similar sizes. Targets have already been found at excellent depths including an 1880 silver thruppence at 750mm on a GPX4000!"

About a 3/4 to 1" silver coin at about 29"(inches) with an elliptical coil! Now that's deep! (Maybe silver detects deeper than gold? I do not know.)

I would like to see a depth test comparison between a GoldStalker vs Advantage of the same size coil. Has anyone done one yet?
(If you are comparing round 18" monos against one another, throw in a 3rd coil, being a Commander in your comparison test IF one is available.)

I like the fibreglass coils because they don't crack like the 3 plastic ones I have. Embarassed
The smallest bit I found with it is a 0.4 and it is capable of 1 grammers at the 11" mark. I prefer a large coil to a small one because you cover more area patch finding and they handle the ground better than small coils as they average it better when ground balancing and don't sound of at every mineralised rock like the small coils seem to. I am not afraid of losing small bits because a cleanup of a patch with many coil sizes and settings is what should be done, and any missed bits should be found that way.

I have a 25" NF mono and the first bit with it was a 1 grammer at 10". For a large coil I thought that was a fairly good effort. I had the chance last year to compare a signal with the 16" round NF mono and a Goldstalker 18" elliptical in Enhance timings. We could not raise a signal with the Goldstalker coil on that target while the NF was a nice low/high response on this nugget that was 27 grams when dug from 17" deep. Maybe that isn't a fair comparison as the 16" round coil is bigger in area, but it was a comparison of 2 popular coils and coil sizes. We never tried Normal timings as the ground was variable there and better suited to Enhance. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bencld Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 am

I own the 14X9 and the 16 round goldstalkers and love them to death. I find it VERY hard to believe that someone could detect a coin the size of a five cent piece at 3/4 of a metre underground !

Chris.
bencld
bencld
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 pm

My deepest find was an old miners pick at what would have been about 2 feet. Yep a very large iron target but I was in my dig everything stage while learning my new detector.

Gold wise my deepest find was ........ oh wait I haven't found any gold with a detector yet.

Dang it!

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhog22 Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi All, Good question, I run a 24by12 NF mono. on a 4500. And have been picking up gold at all depth. and all sizes. the smallest was .2 of a gram around 3-4 inches.. The bigest was a 78gram bit at well over 24 inches..the big bit was in a wash or creek and mostly sand..Been going over some old chaining and still pick up small bits missed by the early matchines...you just have to have a good ear....Bob

goldhog22
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:43 am

Deepest was 22oz at near 3 feet on wash covered by pipeclay, Detector was a stock standard GP-3000 with 18 inch SD2100 Mono.

Back to top Go down