Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody out there? (in the west)....

+2
Crazy Legs
TheH0ward
6 posters

Go down

Anybody out there? (in the west).... Empty Anybody out there? (in the west)....

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 am

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to detecting (since late last year). I'd like to know if there's anyone interested in doing some short week or two-week trips out from perth to detect. Have a 4500 and am fairly self sufficient, camping gear wise. I have a good sense of humour, am OK to go anytime (semi-retired), will pay my way, am a good cook and last but not least, female. Yep, I know its a bit of an oddity for a female to be wanting to do this 'blokey' sort of thing, but I'm also a photographer and love the bush, so my interests all fit together nicely and compliment each other.
Only thing I would like to stress is that I'd like to meet detecting 'buddies' only, not looking for anything other than a friend or friends to go detecting with, share a yarn or a laugh around the camp fire, etc. Is this possible out there in detector-land or could anyone offer some suggestions? Am very OK going out bush, but don't feel comfortable disappearing down little two wheel tracks in the middle of nowhere on my own. Would welcome any feedback from members............

Back to top Go down

Anybody out there? (in the west).... Empty Re: Anybody out there? (in the west)....

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 am

Gday iluvthebush

Welcome to the forum,I know one or two lady detectorists that go out alone and do well for themselves, but its more social when you have people to talk to around the fire at night and I guess its a case of safety in numbers as well, as if you hurt yourself or break down you have help on hand too.

There are many aspects of this hobby that are appealing, apart from the detecting gold bit, like just being able to get out into the bush and just see whats there, many areas can change dramatically from one season to the next and as you say if you like photography as I do there is always something new and interesting to capture as well.

I also enjoy exploring old building and townsites and sometimes detect for coins and relics too, if you have many areas of interest then it can be a very rewarding hobby regardless of whether you get gold or not, and I find just being away from town for a week or two can do so much good for you as well.

There are a couple of prospecting clubs here, one in the Perth city area and one down south in Mandurah, that have monthly meetings, detecting trips and such, I believe the Mandurah club is away at the moment at Reedy's, but to do trips with them you have to be a member of Apla which is easy to join.

If you are interested in any further information you can pm me and I will send you some contact details.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Anybody out there? (in the west).... Empty Re: Anybody out there? (in the west)....

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 am

Oops, sorry, didn't mention that I have my own 4WD so would be looking to go - a la convoy, ie (not expecting anyone to take me in their vehicle).

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 am

welcome to the forum iluvthebush. Very Happy

I too detect alone a lot but i cant offer to go with you (wrong state, lol)
im sure you will find a buddy in no time at all. As stayyerAU mentioned, a club would be the way to go! Not only good people to meet, but lots of bush buddies and great times to be had.

cheers Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Legs Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am

G'Day iluvthebush,

Wrong state here also, but love your attitude. I'm sure you will find some buddies on here.

Good luck with it and hope you go well.

Legs
Crazy Legs
Crazy Legs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  rarebreed Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey there,
Myself and wife and father do a few trips out to the bush, your more then welcome to tag along on our next trip Smile
I'm just doing some research at the moment on our next trip (area location)

probably go out in the next few months or so for a 7 - 10 day trip Smile
I'll keep you informed on when we will be going etc Smile

Also welcome to the forum Razz

rarebreed
rarebreed
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

sorry ... opposite side of the country ... but welcome to a GR8 forum. you will meet some "buddies" ... heh heh trust me Very Happy Very Happy .. aaah the old saying comes true again What a Face ... join or go out with a club to see if you like them and viceversa etc
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi iluvthebush,

Wish I was on the other side to go with - but like everyone else, yup, easterners. My partner and I go prospecting when we can, and I know what it's like to feel a bit 'vulnerable' as a lady in that environment. I've done some silly things that I'll make sure aren't repeated, like wandered off far and wide in the wilds of Georgetown/Forsayth when hubby's gone in to town, and have realised since that if I'd done an ankle and couldn't get back to camp he would have no idea where I was. It was wild pig country too. Coming to a dry creek bed one time, we saw what we thought was a cow tossing something around, only to get closer and find it was a VERY large wild pig flinging a kangaroo carcass into the air. He didn't care about us, had other fish to fry, but there were enough of them around that I should have had more respect. I've been stalked by dingoes (oh, ok, they were pups) but mum and dad were somewhere. I've relied on my sense of direction (?? Shocked !!) to find my way back from long hauls. And I've panicked (in Clermont) when I lost sight of my last piece of surveyors tape, right on dusk. Haven't done as much detecting out west, but I'm sure there's trouble to get in to if you try hard enough! And my biggest worry is finding the reef and then not being game leave it in case I can't find it again Very Happy But, with all these hurdles, can't wait to go again. I'd say if you were at any of the caravan parks that matter - Leonora, Laverton, ......etc if you haven't found fellow travellers here, you'll find them that way. And ALL THE VERY BEST!! Just leave a little for us Like a Star @ heaven

Back to top Go down

Post  flying kiwi Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 pm

hey mate

I live in Perth and work FIFO to the Pilbara but the misis and I are looking to plan a trip out to somewhere within 1000km of Perth for a week or so, my biggest fear is getting bogged or broke down in the middle of nowhere What a Face so definately keen to convoy up and head bush some time in the next few months, i am runnig a 4500 aswell so you can give us some pointers Very Happy

cheers Tom
flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:10 pm

TheH0ward wrote:welcome to the forum iluvthebush. Very Happy

I too detect alone a lot but i cant offer to go with you (wrong state, lol)
im sure you will find a buddy in no time at all. As stayyerAU mentioned, a club would be the way to go! Not only good people to meet, but lots of bush buddies and great times to be had.

cheers Smile
Good on you TH and thanx for the welcome. pity you're not on the left hand side of the continent. give me a buzz if you're thinkin' on coming over here........

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 pm

flying kiwi wrote:hey mate

I live in Perth and work FIFO to the Pilbara but the misis and I are looking to plan a trip out to somewhere within 1000km of Perth for a week or so, my biggest fear is getting bogged or broke down in the middle of nowhere What a Face so definately keen to convoy up and head bush some time in the next few months, i am runnig a 4500 aswell so you can give us some pointers Very Happy

cheers Tom
Hey Tom (and missus). would love to meet up sometime when you're in town and meet, swap some info and have a chat over a coffee. PM me when its OK for you and maybe we could tee it up.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 pm

keepdigging wrote: Hi iluvthebush,

Wish I was on the other side to go with - but like everyone else, yup, easterners. My partner and I go prospecting when we can, and I know what it's like to feel a bit 'vulnerable' as a lady in that environment. I've done some silly things that I'll make sure aren't repeated, like wandered off far and wide in the wilds of Georgetown/Forsayth when hubby's gone in to town, and have realised since that if I'd done an ankle and couldn't get back to camp he would have no idea where I was. It was wild pig country too. Coming to a dry creek bed one time, we saw what we thought was a cow tossing something around, only to get closer and find it was a VERY large wild pig flinging a kangaroo carcass into the air. He didn't care about us, had other fish to fry, but there were enough of them around that I should have had more respect. I've been stalked by dingoes (oh, ok, they were pups) but mum and dad were somewhere. I've relied on my sense of direction (?? Shocked !!) to find my way back from long hauls. And I've panicked (in Clermont) when I lost sight of my last piece of surveyors tape, right on dusk. Haven't done as much detecting out west, but I'm sure there's trouble to get in to if you try hard enough! And my biggest worry is finding the reef and then not being game leave it in case I can't find it again Very Happy But, with all these hurdles, can't wait to go again. I'd say if you were at any of the caravan parks that matter - Leonora, Laverton, ......etc if you haven't found fellow travellers here, you'll find them that way. And ALL THE VERY BEST!! Just leave a little for us Like a Star @ heaven

I'm with you on the safety issue 'keepdiggin'. Usually when you go out with someone, you all take off in different directions and meet up a few hours down the track. I always like to use my two-way and have a GPS with me, but its nice to meet up and yarn over little things when you get back together. Things like the nugget that's too big to pick up, so you need someone's help to bring it back to camp, or borrowing more surveyor's tape for your track back to your reef. You get the general gist.....good luck on your travels.
PS Have just been at Sandstone and the people in the caravan park are great, as are the locals. I find I work better with just a few people, or one on one rather than a big crowd. Might explore the Leonora thing though...thanx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:29 pm

rarebreed wrote:Hey there,
Myself and wife and father do a few trips out to the bush, your more then welcome to tag along on our next trip Smile
I'm just doing some research at the moment on our next trip (area location)

probably go out in the next few months or so for a 7 - 10 day trip Smile
I'll keep you informed on when we will be going etc Smile

Also welcome to the forum Razz

Hi there rarebreed, would be very interested to meet up with you over a coffee/tea to have a chat/intro etc. are you livin' in the perth area? could you PM me and I'll send you my mobile number if you're all interested.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 pm

byronbinalong wrote:sorry ... opposite side of the country ... but welcome to a GR8 forum. you will meet some "buddies" ... heh heh trust me Very Happy Very Happy .. aaah the old saying comes true again What a Face ... join or go out with a club to see if you like them and viceversa etc

Smile byronbinalong

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Crazy Legs wrote:G'Day iluvthebush,

Wrong state here also, but love your attitude. I'm sure you will find some buddies on here.

Good luck with it and hope you go well.

Legs
Smile crazy legs, thanx for the wishes

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:52 am

keepdigging, love your post! Very Happy
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:46 pm

TheH0ward wrote:keepdigging, love your post! Very Happy

cheers. more to tell, and will. in the yarns forum Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Anybody out there? (in the west).... Empty Well helo from Loenora

Post  llochris Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 am

Chris & I Lloyd are at the caravan park at Leonora got here last Sunday after 5 weeks from Kalgoorlie we will be here untill the middle of July & then north of Leinster to early October then back to Kalgoorlie to help with the CMCA Rally We both dectect have a 4000 & a 45 if you are passing this way we would like to meet Lloyd & Christine
llochris
llochris
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi there Chris and Lloyd,
Have heard about Leonora as a meeting place for like minded detecting people. Thanx so much for getting back to me. I was just at Sandstone about 3 weeks ago and the people there in the park are really nice too. Had a few people take me out as I'm not much on detecting alone and I found a few bits, so was pretty happy.
I may be going to Kal in a few weeks to visit a friend and may think about going up to Leonora for a bit of a look around. Spent a bit of time out at Yandal/Barwidgie and found some bits there too. Its really good as there's plenty of kms of land and Leinster is very handy for top-ups etc. Maybe we could swap email addresses and keep in touch? PM me if you like and would be lovely to meet up if I get up there...

Back to top Go down