Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite

5 posters

Go down

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite Empty Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite

Post  CostasDee Mon May 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi all, does anybody know for sure, if there is any real difference between the coils with the different extention on the sticker on the coil? Confussing question but what I mean is Coiltek brought out for example the 14DD then the 14DDPro then the 14DDProElite. Is there any person that can honestly say first hand, that he/she has done tests that shows that I model is better than the other?
Regardless of which coil you swing, we all walk the ground and if you can get that ever so slight edge, that extra 5%in depth or sensitivity, you or rather me, would go for it.
If the difference is negligable I wont waste my money on gettting the "newer" model and stay with what I've got...
Cheers all
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite Empty Re: Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite

Post  kon61 Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 pm

G'day CostasDee.

You'll find all three pretty similar in depth on slugs of gold over the ounce mark,with the exception of the DD Pro Elite.this coil is not only lighter than the other two,but when coupled to the 2200 or GP series machines,has better sensitivity and slightly better depth on the smaller gold.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite Empty Re: Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:42 am

Gday CostasDee

The coiltek 14" DD is the oldest version of all three coils, and was widely used and popular size for general detecting, I used one a lot myself and was a good coil in its time but not tremendously sensitive, and as Kon says good on larger pieces but average on sub gram bits.

When the coiltek 14" DD pro came out I bought one of these and found it to be a much more sensitive coil and much more productive than the earlier 14" dd, I used it a lot on my gp extreme and found it to be quite sensitive to smaller pieces and really stable on seriously hot ground.

On buying the gp3500 I used it for a short while and then the 14" dd elite came out, I bought one of these and used it for a short time but cant say that I was as impressed with its performance as I was with the 14"dd pro, I think also it was shortly after this that the first nuggetfinder sl mono coils came out and I pretty much went over to them as the 3500 would run mono coils quite well.

I had a look at the coiltek website as I had been told some time back that the 14" dd pro elite coil was better on sd and gp machines and that the 14" dd pro was better on the gpx machines, anyway heres the link to their website and you can see what I mean.

http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/14-inch-round.html

cheers

stayyerAU

Last edited by stayyerAU on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct information given and add link to site)

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks stayerAU, I got a chance to run the 14DD (not Pro) last weekend and although I found it quiet and quite smooth, I was concerned that it didn't seem to pick up as many targets as the 11DD. Maybe I shouldn't be complaining cause it was a little trashy area, but I wonder if I missed any gold targets. I found that i could pick up anything sitting on the surface, even a tiny rusty staple, but I didn't pickup anything lower than about 1/4 of an inch. Strangely though, this is the coil I was using when I dug up that inch and a half rusty nail at 16". So I tend to agree that the sensitivity of it seems to be for larger objects but gram and less targets might seem to be totally missed. Anyway I am getting a 17x11 DD Pro so I'm going to do a comparisson test between all my coils over different size lead targets and all things being equal, see what the results reveal.
I see the website you mentioned does say that the DD Pro Elite is best suited to the SD and GP, but I've been told elsewhere that the Elite is more suited to the GP and GPXs and the SDs work better with the Pro. Unless I have all 3 different models and do a depth and sensitivity test with all other things being equal, it'll be hard to really know for sure.
Cheers...
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite Empty Coiltk DD etc......

Post  sandy2010 Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 pm

I have very fond memories of the C/T DD on my 2100......got a signal...dug down 30cm in hard ground....it was screaming....I convinced myself it was a beer can......left it until the next day....went down a few more cms and out lobbed a beautiful six ouncer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:43 am

Gday CostasDee

Ask about a bit more before you get the 17x11 dd pro, I have owned one and several of my friends have too and we all found it to be a coil that is severely lacking in performance, I only ever found one piece with my coil and was not impressed with it from the very start, the 14" round dd coil would be a far better option and would be capable of better depth anyway.

Well done with that Sandy, there have been many nice pieces found with the 14" round dd coils thats why they were so popular as an all round everyday use type of coil, I still use a 14" coil for most of my detecting these days but use the 14" nuggetfinder advantage mono, it all comes down to the soil conditions in th areas you work.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to clarify that the DD PRO ELITE is best suited to the SD/GP machines due to it drawing a little more current than the standard DD.

The newer GPX machines are best suited to standard DD's. The DD PRO coils are tweaked in a way now that they run well with the GPX machines in most circumstances.

I ran the 17x11" DD PRO on a 3500 when i had a trip to WA a few years back now and it ran well. I was able to get 0.2 gm pieces at an inch or two and also pulled out a 15gm and 11 gm at 12" approx and 11" approx with firm signals. It has been a good coil but I spose it may not suit everyones purpose.

I agree Stayyer, the 14" round would have a slight edge on the 17x11 for depth but I think the 17x11" would have a little better sensitivity for pinpointing and the smaller sub grammers.

I hope this helps and whatever your choice is may it bring you some success!
Regards,
Trevor
Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite Empty 14inch dd

Post  jackhunter Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:40 pm

i picked up 2nd hand coil last weekend a coiltek 14inch dd from prospectors patch, using it on a modified sd2100 first time this weekend. see how it runs and goes. have a whites gmt to use to find the small sensitive stuff as well. minelab to find the nuggets and small grammers and gmt to find the flakes and tiny gold. see how it goes, heard the 14 inch coil is way to go, better than 11 inch coil. got 5 coils for the sd but see how 14 inch goes this weekend

jackhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-05-20

http://www.fisheraustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Good luck jackhunter, hope it finds you a "big" one.

Very Happy
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Coiltek DD vs DD Pro vs DD Pro Elite Empty next saturday

Post  jackhunter Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:57 pm

off to north of coolgardie on saturday for a 6 or 8 hour hunt with minelab, see how i go.

jackhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-05-20

http://www.fisheraustralia.com

Back to top Go down