Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ground Mineralisation

2 posters

Go down

Ground Mineralisation Empty Ground Mineralisation

Post  hookey13 Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 pm

My boys and myself have all just purchased GPX 5000's. We are mainly going detecting in the golden triangle Vic. Can any one tell me how do we work out what the ground mineralisation is as I can see this is very important for the settings. I'm not a Geologist so each time we go somewhere, how are we going to know. Again, I realise each area is likely going to be different, but if Minelab put this in their detectors, then do they assume we are all going to know the answer to this.
cheers
Greg
hookey13
hookey13
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Ground Mineralisation Empty Re: Ground Mineralisation

Post  Guest Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum . Good on you and your boys, this is a great hobby for father and sons to bond.May i surgest you book yourself and sons in for a coiltek training day..What you can learn for them in a day may take quite some time to find out yourselfs. This is only my opinion, other than that perhaps join one of the many good prospecting clubs and find yourself a detecting buddy with some knowlage...

Kind Regards
Dani

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Greg, Not all ground you will be able to tell how noisy it is by looking at it, the more colours you see in the ground generally the more mineralised it may be.
If you start to detect in say the 'normal' timing and you can not smooth the threshold out then you will know that the ground is too mineralised 'noisy' for that particular area, I would then select a different timing and try again until a stable threshold is obtained and then cranking up the gain until it just starts to be unstable then bring it down slightly to a nice stable tone.
I hope that helps, others may be able to explain better than I.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:
Hi Greg, Not all ground you will be able to tell how noisy it is by looking at it, the more colours you see in the ground generally the more mineralised it may be.
If you start to detect in say the 'normal' timing and you can not smooth the threshold out then you will know that the ground is too mineralised 'noisy' for that particular area, I would then select a different timing and try again until a stable threshold is obtained and then cranking up the gain until it just starts to be unstable then bring it down slightly to a nice stable tone.
I hope that helps, others may be able to explain better than I.

Cheers

I dont detect and that explanation is pretty good cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  hookey13 Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Thx Goldstalker. Will take note of what you have to say here.
cheers
Greg
hookey13
hookey13
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down