Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mornington peninsular gold

+6
Rtanweb
Greg
ballaratgold
gollstar
TheGoldenChild
shicer
10 posters

Go down

mornington peninsular gold  Empty mornington peninsular gold

Post  shicer Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Has anyone been to the diggings , or know anything about the occurence of gold on the peninsular . i know of one creek where alluvial was found but there were hardrock mines somewhere . anyone ?
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

mornington peninsular gold  Empty Re: mornington peninsular gold

Post  TheGoldenChild Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Did a bit of research a while back after noticing the ground around Red Hill whilst on vacation.
Here's a link about the history http://www.discovermorningtonpeninsula.com.au/fascinatingfacts/tubbarubba-gold-rush.php
Hope it helps.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Found this Info

Mornington Peninsula Goldfield

Mornington Peninsula Goldfield was a very minor alluvial and reef goldfield. Gold mining
commenced in the area in 1862 when alluvial gold was discovered at Tubbarrubba and Bulldog
Creek described as ‘remote alluvial patch six to eight miles from Snapper Point'.10 Two years later
quartz reefs and indicators were also discovered and reef mining also commenced on the
southeast side of Mount Martha and in the parish of Tyabb, about eight miles east of Frankston.
The 1860s discoveries were followed by isolated occurrences of reef mining in the Frankston–
Mornington area until early into the twentieth century. During the early 1870s new prospecting
claims were registered for Tubbarrubba Creek, Kangarong and Dromana.11 In 1896 three reefs
were discovered and worked in Cole’s paddock, not far from Frankston.
The Mornington G.M.C erected the district’s first (and apparently only) crushing battery in 1905.
It was reported as being a 10-head battery and the mine as being located about seven miles
inland from Mornington

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I know someone with 40 acres there ill have to go visit.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

mornington peninsular gold  Empty mornington peninsular gold

Post  ballaratgold Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 pm

shicer Today at 2:30 pm

Has anyone been to the diggings , or know anything about the occurence of gold on the peninsular . i know of one creek where alluvial was found but there were hardrock mines somewhere . anyone ?
shicer

Hi shicer
maybe a bit more help for you
my mates parents managed a property on the corner of Tubbarubba road Balnarring road, opposite " Foxeys hangout " my mate said when they were kids there was 2 shafts sunk on that property and worked years before they lived there. it is now a winery so I don't know whatever happened to the old timers who were working there
john

ballaratgold
ballaratgold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Foxys is at a junction it would almost be a deep lead if anything, the people i know had 30 acres on stanleys road red hill but sold it for x million and purchased a larger property down the road, they run cattle.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 am

thanks for your input guys , im thinking the area is worthy of some attention now especially since there are major earthworks going on down there at the moment with the building of the new freeway and all . red hill is granite and as prospectors we all know what happens on the edges
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Good day All.
Sorry for this stupid Q? what happens around the edge's of granite?
Cheers Greg

Last edited by Greg on Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Hey Greg,

Gold is occassionaly found close to edges of where granit meets other soils.

Not sure why, but i think because granit is geologicaly speaking younger, it pushes ground up, potentially unearthing deeper gold.

I am probably wrong Smile

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 am

Gday

Gold is often found around granite, but I would be thinking that it would more likely be in the vicinity where the granite has made contact with the surrounding country rock as it is with quartz and iron stone etc.

Many years ago, about 1981/82 when stationed at the old Army apprentice school at Balcombe, south of Mornington one of the civilian drivers in the unit told me that he had panned gold in Tubbarubba creek, as another bloke there was into prospecting and was going detecting at Bendigo and we were talking about it, he overheard us so thats how the subject came up.

I dont know if anything has been found with a detector in the area, but it could be a bit of fun checking out some of these places and having a bit of a pan here and there, but like most of these areas now in Victoria I would imagine that they would be on privately owned land so access may be difficult in places.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldTone Mon May 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi all,

Went for a drive down Tubbarrubba rd and bull dog creek road just to have a look at the geo, not that I really know what I'm looking for yet, but there was a lot of shale, a bit of granite and a bit of quartz in the top soil...
heres a map I found: Wink
mornington peninsular gold  Tubbar12
It was said to be a small alluvial operation and its all private land now (wineries and bnbs) which Im sure would cater for detectorists if they were to come to some sort of arrangement.
Which makes me wonder... Question

Has anyone one paid a fee for detecting on someones property? Shocked

Has anyone ever made an arrangement with a stranger to detect on their land for say, 10% of what you find? pirat

Would this make them want to detect their land? pig

Happy hunting!

GT
GoldTone
GoldTone
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

mornington peninsular gold  Empty tubbarubba prospectors campsite

Post  deano Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 pm

There is a reserve about halfway down tubbarubba road that apparently was the site of the prospectors camps. I went for a walk in there and it is quite thick in bush, I could not make out anything that indicated a campsite such as broken bottles,tin etc.
The small reserve gate is not clear to find with the overgrowth.
Deano
deano
deano
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  deano Fri May 06, 2011 8:31 pm

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9306511

This is a link to an article in 'The Mercury' (Tasmania) Sat 19 Oct 1895 p2.

Interesting to note that an 17oz specimen came from the area.
Deano
deano
deano
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Fri May 06, 2011 10:48 pm

I was only just reading a story on solar flares and well what do you know it makes mention of the goldfields you guys are talking about now hell that has to be sign, very bizarre not to mention its only 20 minutes away.

heres the story its about solar X flares from the sun its telling a story that starts with a prospector who made it big and was getting on the ship back to England from port Melbourne and looks towards Franga, Dromana and Tubbarrubba where new goldfields where to be found.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2011/arch11/110502gold.htm

Also some other interesting stuff like Mega-tsunami hitting Australia,

http://ancientdestructions.com.au/site/destructions/Mega-Tsunami-Melbourne-Australia.php

gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 am

Very cool gollstar, cheers
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  onebob Sat May 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm a local boy and the Tubbarubba Creek / Bulldog Creek gold diggings are all on private land. The main area of activity was at Tubbarubba Creek either working, or looking for the indicator. All traces of the workings have long since been obliterated over the decades by farming activity and latterly by vineyards. A look at the area on Google Earth gives clues because many of the farm dams are flooded workings. 40 years ago i got permission from the landowner that Bulldog Creek runs through, the Ballieu Myer family (Shocked yep that's them !!). The farm manager drove us to Barnes' Workings and also to Griffiths' Shaft which we found chock full of farm refuse. Adjacent bench workings had been buried in a landslip which ended the oldtimers interest in continuing their activities here. Those old enough would remember the Gemhunting craze of the 1960's and 70's. Zircon, Ruby, and Garnet are found at Tubbarubba Creek and Bulldog Creek and the landowners had to deal with trespassers ripping up the creek banks to access the gemstone bearing gravels. To discourage the trespassers some of the gravel beds were bulldozed over.

For 'historical interest' I've included from my research notes links to a newspaper report of a gold find at Bulldog Creek (specimens not nuggets) and a copy of Keble's 1930's map of the goldfield with my colour mark ups. Yellow = auriferous areas, brown = embankment. To assist with orientation of the map Tubbarubba Reserve is easily recognisable near the top right corner of the map.

If you are super lucky and manage to get a landowners permission to walk over their land then Tubbarubba Creek / Bulldog Creek gold diggings are of more practical interest to panners, and wine buffs, than detectorists Very Happy

mornington peninsular gold  GoldfindatBulldogcreek

mornington peninsular gold  BulldogCreekGldfield

The actual location of the other reported gold find at Coles Paddock, Frankston has never been absolutely identified but if it's where i think it is now under somebody's suburban backyard.

onebob

Last edited by onebob on Sat May 07, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down