Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

limited space for sluice run-off water

Go down

limited space for sluice run-off water Empty limited space for sluice run-off water

Post  TheH0ward Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 pm

hi guys

ive been doing some test panning in a creek and want to run my sluice there, but unsure of the 'right' way to go about it.
The creek has limited space to sluice without the water running from my sluice back into the main creek. Limited space, meaning a matter of feet (like 4 or 5). So is it acceptable to let the sluice water run back onto the gravel eg. 3 feet from the waters edge so it helps filter before entering the creek? Or could i possibly run it into some sort of settling bucket before having it tipped back into the creek?

Im not sure of the legalities of this.

your help is much appreciated Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

limited space for sluice run-off water Empty Re: limited space for sluice run-off water

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm

what kind of soil are we talking about? lots of clay? lots of gravel ? is it a long way from a river ? are there any pump pick ups down stream? ---- lots to consider!! so lets say its a combination of all of these it would be a good thing to make sure the silt ect. is contained onto the gravel above the water line and as you have tailings coming out make a ground race to filter the water as much as you can cheers best of luck Very Happy hows the hand?

Back to top Go down

limited space for sluice run-off water Empty Re: limited space for sluice run-off water

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:01 pm

ahh ive now seen that you have a river sluice and not a Banjo !! dam you will have problems keeping the silt plume out of the water then!! you need to build a Banjo so as then you can take the banjo to the dirt and not have to carry the dirt to the sluice Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Oh mate it has been years since I have worked a river sluice in the days of old we used to run them close to the bank. So the plum from the sluice would hug the bank. As they say it is easer to take the water to the dirt than the dirt to the water. Cheers mate but that is the best I can do.
James 101

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

thanks guys Smile

hand is ok, cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:08 pm

T/H glade the hand is on the mend. Sorry I could not be of more help. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 pm

its all good James Smile
I know banjo's are the way to go but im very happy with my sluice. Its the first one ive ever made and works a treat. I can pretty much put it anywhere cos its not big and awkward or anything like that. I run an electric pump so its nice and quiet and nobody comes to see what im doing because they dont even know im there Smile

Its all gravel and sand where i go.... very little clay/dirt, but enough to dirty up the water but no more so than if i was panning. I will work it out Smile

Cheers, Dee
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Mate let us know how you get on it will be interesting to see how you over come this problem. cheers cheers

Back to top Go down