Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ?

4 posters

Go down

Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ? Empty Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ?

Post  Jigalong Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:36 pm

I asked a few people this question when I was down in Victoria last month testing my new 5000.The question assumes that the ground allowed either to work OK.

One very knowlegable guy said "leave it in FINE GOLD". What does everyone else think ?

Thanks,

Jig.

Last edited by Jigalong on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ? Empty Re: Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ?

Post  HOBO'S Gold Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Gday Jig, I always leave my 5000 in fine gold, if you are in very hot ground you may need to run it in Enhanced, I also run my 5000 in Audio Quiet, this allows you to turn up the gain a few notches, give it ago tell me what you think. Sorry I missed you in Victoria I would of like to catch up, never mind maybe next time.

Regards Johnny sunny albino
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ? Empty Re: Using a 17" NF ellip mono in WA, would you put your 5000 in ENHANCE or FINE GOLD ?

Post  Jigalong Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks Johnny. I will try it out in "Audio Quiet".

I was running a GAIN of 15 during most of my Vic trip, using a 6" Coiltec joey ellip mono. A bit noisy, but no real problems.

I met four of our posters during the trip and it was great to put faces and personalities to the names. Hopefully we can meet up on my next visit, have a swing and chew the fat.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 pm

G'day Jig

With the 5000 17" ellip combo

Front panel.
Gen
Fixed
Mono
Special/Fine gold

Rear Screen.
All FP except these,

Gain 14 - 16
Motion slow/v,slow
Stabilizer 6 - 10
Signal 17 -19
And do a very slow close (2 - 5cm) pump on the balance.

I find these settings work very well over here on my c/tek 17x10 mini ufo and my 18x12 nugget tech mono,
the main thing is dont be sloppy with the GB, if not happy do it again until you are happy with the stability
and make sure you have at least 50% of the ground under the coil while doing the GB ironstone pebbles..
Also i would advise you to never use the "quiet mode" for any reason over here or you WILL miss gold thats a fact,
you are better off lowering the gain/stabilizer than using "quiet" mode,otherwise its like swinging a 3500/4000 in
sens smooth and we all know what thats like.....

Sandstone bloke today tells me that already there are lots of people from the east rocking up
in the van pk and its already 1/2 full..

Good luck on your trip over here and here's to you
getting onto a nice little patch ay...

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Pete,

That is great advice - I have printed it out. Thanks heaps.

I will be detecting at Leonora and Sandstone - can't wait.

Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Jig

PM SENT

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi all, not that my advice would account for annything but it would be: do not get stuck in the rut of most detectorists and keep you machine in the same settings all of the time everywhere, experiment with the normal timeings and try different settings, you may find that a combination may suit a ground type for a particular area perfect.

If you are affraid of changing too many settings for the fear of messings things up, then my advice would be: Learn your machine.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 pm

GPX

Very wise words there mate...

When all else fails drag a 5ft bit of railway line over the top & get stuck into it.

Jig
Dont forget your gear for the gold in the caprock cause you dont wanna go into town
with a crazed look onyer face asking "where can i hire a jack hammer" haha Razz Razz

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Pete,

Yes, I have two chisels and a hammer thanks. I must tell you about a lady last year who was detecting with our group up near Mertonvale. She got a good signal in the virgin calcrete at the bottom of her dirt hole. All "chipped in" to help her get down to it. After about 4" they found a very nice sardine tin. A driller had dropped it down a 45degree drill hole, the entrance of which had disappeared over time. Bummer !

One night at the pub in Laverton I was having dinner and I got to talking with a professional detectorist. He was a fascinating guy and after dinner, he took me back to his room to show me the two bank bags that he was taking down to Kal. They were all gold in calcrete - I have never seen a collection like it.

Now I take calcrete very seriously !

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Goldstalker - good advice - and after the last trip to the Triangle where Fred (What's the Time) made me play with the gain / stab for every situation, I am a great believer in what you are saying.
Thanks,
Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

Jig

Stop off at the fruit fly staion at eucla and pick up ya WA passport ay Cool left ya one there. Wink Very Happy
have a great season and i too love the mertondale/cardinia/triangle area.. so hay leave us a bit ay
hahahaha...

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 pm

gday jig.
i used my 17 elip late last year with my 5000 solely in fine gold. i was able to run quite a high gain setting also. i was happy with what i found, which was around 150 pieces. pretty good coil that one. im off tomorrow to the area i had to abandon due to heavy rains so am getting very excited about this trip. found my biggest nugget here too. im not sure others may agree with me but i found the audio in boost to be a very handy setting.

Back to top Go down

Post  k9spud Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:55 pm

hi jig
havent got the 17x11 yet but thinking about it.
but with the 14x9 love it and 16 round i use fine gold mostly but am always wondering if i am missing out on depth
so i change regarly from fine ,enhance and normal the only time i have found normal better was on a specimen down about 600mm responce was more of a felling than sound possably just ground noise, but after 100mm down it was a real responce.
originaly picked up in fine gold and just sliglty better in normal .
as i say this was at the extreem of range it was the sligest of responce i love the 5000
pete

k9spud
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 am

Used to be a newbie,
Thanks for that info. I hope you clean up at your spot.

Pete,
I must do some comparison testing on a faint target (when I get over there) like you did.
Thanks a lot,

Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down