Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebay Detectors

+2
stevo 444
DigDug
6 posters

Go down

Ebay Detectors  Empty Ebay Detectors

Post  DigDug Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:59 am

Hi All,

Are those cheap detectors on ebay worth the $200-300, such as the bounty hunter IV?

"* Feature comfort hand grips * Padded armrests * Sensitivity controls * 8" waterproof interchangeable coil * full warranty * User-friendly * High value detector for a variety of applications * Only 2 operating controls * Has Automatic Ground Tracking which automatically adjusts for ground conditions * Detects in extreme conditions from salt saturated wet beaches to highly mineralized sites w/no adjustments necessary * will detect gold easily * Fully calibrated
* Up to 3 mtrs Depth depending on soil conditions. * BONUS !! 1 x free metal detector webbed sling value $29.95 ( similar to a rifle sling for extra comfort )

Brand new in box with Full 5 year warranty.You have any problems we will deal with it personally."
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Metal-Detector-Bounty-Hunter-IV-Brand-New-Warranty-/360357012618?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item53e6f3a48a#ht_866wt_698

DD

DigDug
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Ebay Detectors  Empty Re: Ebay Detectors

Post  stevo 444 Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 am

Hi DD, mate ive had a tracker 4 for a couple of years , excellent little machine for coins relics etc,

But ive never dug a target thats 3 meters deep !

Like i said, great little machine for what it does as long as you dont expect too much from it,

cheers stevo
stevo 444
stevo 444
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:12 pm

there is definately some false advertising going on in some auctions.

but a $300 detector does what it does.

your best bet is to do your own research before you commit to purchasing one of these $300 detectors. have a look at what the machine sells for brand new as base your outlay off that.

also do google searches for reviews of the items. there are also plenty of forums out there to search on. just punch in the name for that detector and away you go.

normally your $300 detector is used for relics and coins. i'm sure you'll find gold with it. but it would want to be right on the surface.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Goldbait.

Judging from your recent posts, you are just starting up with this hobby?

When i was starting up i also went with the Bounty Tracker IV. For the money you get a very decent machine. It will find 5 cent coin at maybe 5-7 inches.

I tested it on gold, and if it is a sizable chunk (multiple grams) and is close to the surface (less than 5 inches or so) than it will find it. It is poor at dealing with our mineralisation. You will find a LOT of hotrocks.

But look mate, if you want to find gold, dont bother with BH4. I gave mine away via some charity site recently. Truth be told the gold areas have been detected by much better machines over the past couple of decades. Your chances of finding gold with it are close to none. I spent a couple of years bush bashing with BH4, and never found any gold with it. But found plenty on the same spots with a minelab.

Word of advice though - do not buy this item from Australia!
Because:

Current exchange rate means overseas goods priced in USD are cheaper
It is under the customs treshold of 1k. So no import duties!
Even with shipping costs, the detectors are much cheaper overseas

For example, have a look around http://www.kellycodetectors.com/bountyhunter/bhunter.htm
For the same $300 or so you can get the next generation of Bounty Hunter detectors (quick draw2) with a bunch of free extras.

However, forget Bounty Hunters Smile.

I have a better machine for you - GMZ from Whites.

At only $600 (Australian) you get a real gold search detector: a VLF machine operating at 50kHz.

Take a look at it here:

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/detect16.html

Good Luck DD, and if you got questions - ask here or PM me.

Cheers!

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:57 am

Rtanweb. good advise. yeah i'm only new to the game.

my information was based on anything you purchase off ebay. not necessarily the BH4.

i'm currently looking at a coin and treasure detector and it's a big tossup between buying 2nd hand off ebay, or spending only a few $$ more to buy new from the US.

i would perfer to buy locally and god forbid. *** as an example*** why is the Minelab xterra 707 only US$698, (exchange rate will probably make this AU$680) and the same machine in Australia is anywhere from $950 - $1350....... this machine is Australian made and we pay more to buy it in Australia. By spending our money overseas, only boosts the US economy, not ours.

Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Ebay Detectors  Empty Thanks

Post  DigDug Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for the advise,

Will need to see what's left in the coffers after my move interstate, it seems like buying second hand is the go...

as in you get a better machine for the same $$$.

Thanks Again

DD

DigDug
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Goldbait wrote:Rtanweb. good advise. yeah i'm only new to the game.

my information was based on anything you purchase off ebay. not necessarily the BH4.

i'm currently looking at a coin and treasure detector and it's a big tossup between buying 2nd hand off ebay, or spending only a few $$ more to buy new from the US.

i would perfer to buy locally and god forbid. *** as an example*** why is the Minelab xterra 707 only US$698, (exchange rate will probably make this AU$680) and the same machine in Australia is anywhere from $950 - $1350....... this machine is Australian made and we pay more to buy it in Australia. By spending our money overseas, only boosts the US economy, not ours.

Hi Goldbait,

This topic has been running hot in a couple of forums in recebt times (including here). Now, as you will read, there have been various "OPINIONS" as to why this is so.
I had the same dillema when I was about to purchase my current, a GPX5000, here in oz it was over $6.5K whilst in the US it was $5.5k with lots of extras trrown in for good measure.
I ended up buying local as by the time postage and inport duty was added on, it would not have been that much cheaper in the long run. BUT, for any detector under $1k, import it as there is no duty to pay this side. A problem may arise if the dtector is faulty and you have to return it for repair etc, as postage to and fro might add up, but hey, chances are you will receive a perrectly working item.
It certainly does seem strange that detectors are so much cheaper overseas than what they cost here (especially ones made by Minelab seeing as they are made here) as coils for instance, do not seem to have such a large price difference between countries.
Good luck with your choice
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 pm

xenon. you make a good point.

and it should be noted that i am only referring to items under $1000.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat May 14, 2011 6:44 pm

G'day guys.

Most of the Bounty hunter range of metal detectors are good machines for finding coins and artifacts but not dedicated gold detectors.From personal experience only,never go for a three in one unit.If your after gold,go for a dedicated detector made specifically for gold prospecting,likewise for coins/relics.For you'll find that a three in one unit,will be the equivalent of a student of many and master of none.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down