Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebay metal detectors

+4
nero_design
monoman1961
deutran
Nugget Meister
8 posters

Go down

Ebay metal detectors Empty Ebay metal detectors

Post  Guest Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:09 pm

If you are bidding on any metal detectors on Aussie Ebay I STRONGLY suggest that you request the serial number before bidding further. Be carefull of nasties who bite??

Back to top Go down

Ebay metal detectors Empty Re: Ebay metal detectors

Post  Nugget Meister Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:22 pm

What sort of nasties?
Nugget Meister
Nugget Meister
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 am

No further comment but be wary of green??

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 am

I was caught on one purchase,I trusted the seller with 100% and 115 feedback,never even thought about it as I only found out a year later when I went to check the serial.I didn't even know where it was located on the detector until I was told.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  monoman1961 Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 pm

found this on another forum stolen detectors
http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php/topic,1724.0.html
monoman1961
monoman1961
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

So Adrian, how do you check the serial number? Ring minelab i suppose?
With something like this, it's not much use to anyone you being cryptic, unless you personally know someone doing the wrong thing.... and that is why your being cryptic? .... when you say beware of green, are you referring to a SD2100 or a SD2200 that was for sale recently? Only green one i ever saw?
I am looking for enlightenment as I will soon list a GP Extreme for sale, and what you have posted would make anyone question what they are going to buy and whether they should buy off fleabay.

Can you recommend anything definitate. When i sell i will put a photo of the serial number on. Any other recommendations?

Cheers, Ferris.

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm

ferrousfinder wrote:When i sell i will put a photo of the serial number on. Any other recommendations?

I'd certainly offer the Serial number as "available on request" but I probably wouldn't post the actual number on Ebay or else there will be 22,000+ detectors from China all sporting your serial number. Sure, a knock-off merchant could just email you but most are not going to bother.

I know for certain that the Sudanese have been painting the older SDs and GP Extremes to sell over there as GPX 4500s. The sale price was $7200 each last time I heard. I gather nobody thought to ask why all the second hand GP Extremes disappeared around Australia last September? They would have worked a treat so the buyers would have been none-the-wiser. In fact, they'd probably have been ecstatic with all the gold they found.

Cheers.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Unfortunately I cannot say any more about this situation; because that is what the police have instructed, other than to suggest that bidders on Australian Ebay looking to purchase a metal detector ask the seller as many questions as possible to ensure that the item you are bidding on is legit and that it actually exists.

Back to top Go down

Ebay metal detectors Empty Worry now

Post  shortlw Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 am

Ok, I am worry now :"( I won a GP on ebay, last week and i am still waiting....I did ask for the serial number and then phone Minelab. or seem right..
I think its more the 4500 that is being sold..
shortlw
shortlw
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:35 pm

If you have payed for the item then it is reasonable to expect the seller to tell you when the item will be shipped plus any registration and /or tracking number. I am a seller and there is any amount of reasons why a seller cannot respond to you imediately after the end of auction however if you have not heard anything within 3 days after payment you should send the seller a message requesting shipping information. If you are seriously concerned then you can request the sellers Contact details from your "My Ebay" page and phone them. When you request the contact details your contact details will automatically be sent to the seller.High volume sellers may take a while to get to your item. One -off sellers should respond at the earliest oportunity.
If the seller has a good feedback record (98 t0 100% and has many sales then you can probably relax.
Always read a sellers feedback record before bidding to see what any negative feedback relates to.

Back to top Go down

Post  shortlw Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting all that, Its been 3 days, but the holiday must hold things up a little.
I am sure I am with a safe seller. but you do have to be carefull on buying anything on line.
shortlw
shortlw
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:13 pm

ferrousfinder wrote:So Adrian, how do you check the serial number? Ring minelab i suppose?
With something like this, it's not much use to anyone you being cryptic, unless you personally know someone doing the wrong thing.... and that is why your being cryptic? .... when you say beware of green, are you referring to a SD2100 or a SD2200 that was for sale recently? Only green one i ever saw?
I am looking for enlightenment as I will soon list a GP Extreme for sale, and what you have posted would make anyone question what they are going to buy and whether they should buy off fleabay.

Can you recommend anything definitate. When i sell i will put a photo of the serial number on. Any other recommendations?

Cheers, Ferris.

G/Day Ferrousfinder,
You are right on two accounts but I think I can say that you can relax on the green.

A wise buyer will always ask the seller as many questions as possible regarding an item that they want to bid on before they place a bid, although you can retract a bid, and be very cautious of the seller who answers in an aggressive manner or who ignores your questions. Buyers can be a problem as well when they win an auction then change their mind and refuse to pay or enter into any communication. Then the seller cannot relist the item until an Unpayed Item case is finalised, this can take some time and represents a loss of time and money for the seller.

Back to top Go down

Ebay metal detectors Empty ebay detectors

Post  evan2010 Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:01 pm

Im sure most of the sellers on Ebay are Legit and you occasionly get a good deal buy purchasing online but IMHO and for peace of mind id try one of the minelab dealers first to see what they can offer you in the way of a new or second hand machine. Happy hunting im off to Menzies
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:31 pm

G/Day evan 2010.
Of all of my Ebay transactions I have only had two dud ones. One was a buyer who's account I eventually had suspended and the other I do not know what happenend because Ebay never got back to me.
Overall Ebay is great, do the right thing and you will gain a lot of new friends and trading partners.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Here are the questions that were asked of an Ebayer who (thinks he is invisable) and at the time I did not know who the seller was. Just another person with a detector for sale.
I have removed names and user codes for legal reasons. It gives you an idea of the sort of replies that can get an account cancelled and attract legal action

This is in regards to an Infinium on Ebay that I was intending to bid on but I wanted some additional info re the unit before deciding to bid. At the time the bidding was around the 300 to 400 dollar mark and I was prepared to go to 1200 dollars. I very quickly got turned off bidding when the replies started flowing. As it turned out the machine went for an astounding 1740 dollars which frankly was a bit of a suprise but good luck to the seller anyway.

Ebay questions asked between the 12 and the 15 Jun 2010-06-21 in regards to requesting the serial number of a metal detector.

Can you tell me the serial number of this item please. Can be found in the battery compartment on white sticker.

Can you let me know the serial number of this detector please?

What is the serial number of this metal detector?

Responses received.

000000 bother someonelse time waister get some sort a life you own one all ready you reckon toss bag.

123456 i know where it is freek

999999 would rather give to the salvos get a proper life go mod your 4500 wanka

(My Reply)
You are rquired by Ebay to give serial numbers when requested, That's how they and bidders and sellers keep track of stolen goods. consider yourself reported to Ebay.

ooooh please dont do that, just what id expect from a tossa, will provide anyone in the world the serial number as phil at gmc has it also but YOU, a few of my angel assoc will come round sometime tomorrow and have a bit of a chat hey,bet you wont be there antway all the best with your conquest lmao, ps dont go out bush alone no more lots n lots a holes to trip and fall down onya adrian axxwhipe

(My Reply)
What have I ever done to you sport? I don't know who you are, what you are or where you are.
requesting serial numbers of metal detectors is normal practice and I have done that with every detector I have purchased on Ebay (7) and every seller has responded politely and positively from within Australia and overseas,you on the other hand have been rude, sarcastic nasty, and abusive for reasons known only to yourself so with a bit of luck the Ebay trust and security division will have your account suspended and you will have another black mark against your ebay record which all sellers and buyers can see.

hey GRONK ive blocked you from bidding on my unit, all you do is be a serial pest ask for serial numbers and never end up bidding on the item ever, what are you doing with the numbers ??? rebirthing stolen detectors, im sure garret minelab and the fed police would love to know all bout you, as for black marks will only be one bloke getting them and thats under there big owl eyes lmfao, anyway adrianss sly as shxx sure a few of the forums want to know bout you and the serial numbers are you sudanese or what lmao on ya bud try your best adrian from canberra lol lol lol lol

Last edited by Adrian SS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Adrian,

I noticed that ad. It looked a bit shonkie. The seller only had 1 feedback, no real photos only ones he copied online, also he spelled his home town incorrectly. I contacted him just to see if it was ok to pick up. He replied with a no worries mate, so I assumed the ad may have been legit.
He also mentioned his detector was purchased new from a dealer in Adelaide so it had all the mods etc. This statement is false because the US infiniums are exactly the same as the Australian ones. Pre 2003 infiniums from the US required modification because they could't handle highly mineralized soils.
cheers
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

This is the next big item that is going to be wanted by the Sudan buyers.

Click Here

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 am

I've bought two detectors off ebay wothout any problems, but what been going on with doggy detectors and dealers, maybe I've just been lucky? I did ask lots of questions and try and get a contact number before a purchase. I've even sold my extreme on ebay and got a good price and buyer was very happy Ebay metal detectors Icon_biggrin . So if you are buying anything from ebay I check their feedback score, ask lots of questions, pay by paypal or cash if you are picking it up, and reserch reserch reserch.

Regards Johnny Ebay metal detectors Icon_sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down