Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX5000 Where's the Control?

+5
charcoal_chaser
whylee
Mechanic
xenon
Jims Gold
9 posters

Go down

GPX5000 Where's the Control? Empty GPX5000 Where's the Control?

Post  Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Well Ive just had my mono coil returned from Minelab with the results saying the coil was good and no repairs were necessary?????
Which means the detector is faulty. Where the hell is the quality control? I would have thought spending $6500 bucks would have taken the guess work out of the equation,
Obviously not "So P#ssed Off. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Where's the Control? Empty Re: GPX5000 Where's the Control?

Post  Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 pm

G'day someday

What were the symptoms, and have you tried any other coils on this machine and if you did did they give the same results as the coil that you sent away.

Just thinking out loud here, because it is easy to think that one thing is causing a problem and it is really something else.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

I agree with Dave but also check the lead that goes from the battery to the detector, borrow another lead and try it to see if it makes a difference.

Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 am

The symptoms were. At the start the mono coil would give out full target signals without a target present! Then seemed to steady out after 20 minutes or so.
The last time I was detecting along a river bank, when I thought gee this place is baron? I put my .6gram test piece on the ground, The detector couldn't recognize it.
Then I realized my pick wasn't even disturbing the threshold like normal. I checked my settings and made sure the coil switch was on mono, WTF.
I then rebooted the detector to factory pre set, Just in case I had set something out of whack, thou I new I hadn't!
Being no where near the car, I decided to unplug everything and reconnect, No difference. Didn't matter what I did, there was no response in my head phones, No bleeps nothing.
Ground balance had run away RX flat out meant nothing? And yes the damn coil switch was on mono! Thou that made no difference either.
Walked back to the car rickenracken, fitted the double d coil and my .6gram test bit was recognized at about 6 inch's from the coil "Alls Good then" apart from one dud mono coil.
Now Minelab are telling me it's not possible for one coil to work and the other one doesn't Unless I had the coil switch in cancel while using the mono coil. I'm over the coil switch bizzo, I know where to set the damn thing.
As for the battery lead, I don't know anyone else with a 5000 so I can't try that idea.
Sorry guys I'm just really peeved over this.
So I'll go back out again, Not to far away and try both the coils again Just to satisfy Minelab. Thou I've been explaining the problems to them for a couple of months now.
This 5000 will end up wrapped around someone's head, if they don't sort something out soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:25 pm

I hear "Where the hell is the customer service" screaming out here. I agree, you pay 6.5K for a set up and it hails to funtion properly......Just not on. Seeing as this debarkel has been going on for a couple of months now is just not good enough. If I was you mate I would box it back up and return it to ML for a complete overall and check by them.
ACTUALLY........Does anyone have much knowledge regarding "consumer rights" as you might even be able to return it to the place of purchase for a refund/replacement. I know legally everyone has the right for a replacement if the item is DOA "dead on arrival" but nut sure regarding faults and the length of time you have had it for. Do a bit of ringing around and find out your rights as it is alot of cash to fork out for an item that does not preform as it is marketed to.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:52 pm

G'day again someday

A couple of things to try, you said "I checked my settings and made sure the coil switch was on mono, WTF" try the same coil with the coil RX switch on Double D, then try the Double D coil with the coil RX switch on Mono. This should help isolate the problem a bit as to wether it is a coil problem or a fault within the machine.

As you allready know a Double D coil will work with the coil RX switch in all "3 positions" for different results and the mono coil will work in "2 positions" and will not work in the "cancel" position

If both the coils work in "coil RX Double D" position and not in "coil RX Mono" position then I think it may be a fault with the machine.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I did try the mono coil with the coil RX switch in double d as well but it made no difference. However I didn't try the double d coil in the other 2 positions, I was just happy to have the damn thing working. So for sure when I go out to test it tomorrow I'll make sure I test all the coil positions.
I did notice with the mono coil when the sh#t hit the fan, Fine gold would not remain as the setting, as soon as I connected the double d coil, fine gold stayed as I set it.
What the F that means I have absolutely no idea.
I'll let you know what happens.
I'd go out today, But too many green cans after Minelab's reply.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:58 pm

G'day Someday,

Sounds like a fault with the machine for sure. If the front end fets fail, the machine will still work with a DD coil, but not with a mono. I would send it in to them ASAP. By the sounds of it there is nothing wrong with the battery/lead and if they gave your coil a clean bill of health it has to be inside the machine. There is no reason you can't try the mono coil at home. The machine will probably go nuts, but you should be able to tell if it is able to pick up targets, turn the gain right down and stabiliser on 1, you should be able to detect your pick with ease. If when you turn it on at home it starts up and stabilises to just a steady tone and it won't detect the pick return it to its maker Very Happy

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 am

someday wrote:
As for the battery lead, I don't know anyone else with a 5000 so I can't try that idea.

someday hi
mate its always a good idea to carry a spare lead any way , so i think buy another lead and try it. what you are describing could be a lead problem. i had a intermintent fault that i was convinced was a battery prob and it turned out to be the lead. even if you don`t need the new lead now , you will need it one day.
cheers
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 am

I don't get a chance to go out that much, so all I've been doing is following Minelab's suggestions when I do get out?
The last outing, Minelab said for sure it's the mono coil! so I packed it up & sent it to them, then to have Minelab say my mono coil is fine.

As for testing the 5000 at home, it's a no go, even my old white detector wont shut up, so our house site is sitting on either a rubbish dump or a Gold Mine?? But we only rent the property, so I wont be digging it up!
The lack of response with the mono coil only happened on the last outing.

Cheers for everyone's response

Last edited by Dig24crt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to keep context)

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm

I know im the new guy here and since I own a couple GPX5000's this is very interesting. Not saying you did or anything but have you happened to unplug your coil with the machine on. I have been told that this will fry the control box within a few seconds. I cant say it will happen, just something to watch out for. I sure hope minelab gets this resolved quickly for you.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Yep, I'm over this subject too!
Just took the 5000 out to a nice quiet spot, No power lines, No damn fencing wire, and guess what? Everything works again! Coil RX switch for the mono coil worked fine in Double D & Mono & the "fine" gold was being displayed as it should. The Double D coil works good in all 3 RX positions. BUT I can still up the RX Gain to Flat out, without the detector going completely nuts. AND then I noticed if you lightly wiggle the coil lead at the control box, the mono coil goes absolutely berserk even with the settings back at a more reasonable position. The Double D coil doesn't suffer the same outbreak. I didn't need to use my pick for a target as my .6gram test piece was easily detected with the mono coil.

SO on that note It's getting boxed up & going back to Minelab! With a proviso note saying don't you dare send it back saying nothing is wrong, other wise I will bring the legals into it!

Cheers ~ Chris.

Last edited by Dig24crt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To Keep context)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:44 pm

PLUS: No I have never disconnected the coil lead with the detector switched on & My 5000 has always been treated with kitten gloves, same for storing the detector, It takes pride of place thou I don't know why, Maybe I should ruff it up a little, and see if it will behave then???????????????????????????????????

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Where's the Control? Empty bung tecta

Post  charcoal_chaser Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 am

Hey , good luck , lol! , knowning minelab this will have a happy ending , i hope they throw in an extra coil or something for your troubles.

Last edited by charcoal_chaser on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

charcoal_chaser
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 am

Bit of a shame .. having a new GPX5000 going out scrub ... and finding out its not playing the game as it should.
Personaly as others have said .. send it back holus bolus and tell them to fix it up ...
good luck
gef50
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 am

Sent my 5000 off to Minelab yesterday with a nice letter, so here's hoping, for there sake!

The clean bill of health work sheet I received when my Mono was returned, "stated" Customer miss informed for reason of call back & possible fault, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
So my detector was sent back, With "attention" to the guy I have been corresponding with at Minelab. FIX IT, or move country, well sort of ?

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Where's the Control? Empty It's---Back

Post  Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Well F-I-I-Know! Minelab replaced the Mono coil out of good will. "What else can I say". I rang the service department They said the control box was not touched?
Yet all the screws holding the control box together are typically marked from being removed, I took notice of the screw conditions before I sent it?
See what happens I suppose. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:07 pm

someday wrote: then I noticed if you lightly wiggle the coil lead at the control box, the mono coil goes absolutely berserk even with the settings back at a more reasonable position. The Double D coil doesn't suffer the same outbreak.

Cheers ~ Chris.

hi mate
if you lightly wiggle the coil lead at the control box and it goes berserk, it sounds like the connectors in the coil lead plug have opened up
abit and need to be closed up a little.....this is normal, most times you only notice that it has happened when you bump the lead while detecting.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 am

Anything new on your detector, I sure hope they got it sorted out for you.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi guys, No I haven't had a chance to try out my 5000 since it's return, and I'm now back at work after having 6 months off "DAMN", I actually have a lot better words than damn!
Thanks Fencejumper the terminals at the plug end was my first thought, made no difference. I've had ample experience with these types of leads, I could guarantee it to be a bad joint from wire to terminal as far as the wiggle thing went!
The shine has been deeply rubbed off. Oh well sh#t happens, and I need to just deal with it? Not today.
Minelab emailed me yesterday to see if I've tried it out yet? Um why when there was nothing wrong with it????
Cheers~Chris. Sad

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Where's the Control? Empty some day gpx 5000

Post  malcolm mclean Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

one way to fix it is to lay axe beside it ex kiwi afro

malcolm mclean
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 pm

I've been avoiding to post a reply to this post because I really haven't had a chance to test the 5000 through all its settings.
One thing for sure, my .6gram test gold which would be lost in an air test at 6 inch's with both coils, has now upgraded it'self to aprox 14 inch's?
Two things that still play on my mind with the 5000, on the first couple of outings when new, when I used to swing the pick over my shoulder the threshold would easily detect the movement, Not any more? The second concern is ground balancing, it's like it's ground balanced as soon as I turn it on! I go through the routine balance all the same, and will frequently re balance whilst on walk abouts "With very little to no change" This has always been the case, and I quizzed Minelab when I sent it off to them,
There reply was "That's strange".
Maybe one day I'll meet up with a fellow prospector with a 5000 and do a comparison!

Cheers guys.
P.s The axe idea may work!

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 pm

my 5000 did pretty well the same .even tried to sound like a fire siren ,changed leads etc .I had only just borrowed it off a mate with a view to upgrading.told him it was my 35 ran better, after a few more tries it wouldnt pick my my pick.tried 3 diff coils ,same story.coil lead to box was like very noisy .sent back to minelab and yes the box had been opened up and now it is brilliant. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  buzzdog Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:06 pm

cougarcans wrote:my 5000 did pretty well the same .even tried to sound like a fire siren ,changed leads etc .I had only just borrowed it off a mate with a view to upgrading.told him it was my 35 ran better, after a few more tries it wouldnt pick my my pick.tried 3 diff coils ,same story.coil lead to box was like very noisy .sent back to minelab and yes the box had been opened up and now it is brilliant. cheers

Fire Engine huh, wow, sounds like mine at the moment? When you say very noisy, what do you mean? Mine still picks up my pick but it seems to have alot of back ground noise?
buzzdog
buzzdog
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  harrysheroes Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:24 am

Hi Someday, Have you been using the standard coil, I have just had to send my 14x9 nugget finder coil back as it is totally unstable on my 5000 the guys at Reeds reckon it touch sensitive, I put the standard coil on and found 17 nuggets and the beast was very stable and a joy to use, ground balance is a trick on them but once mastered they are a sweet machine.
Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:51 am

mine did that a couple of weeks ago buzz in wet noisy ground around rheola then i swore a lot.it was only in one area ,i increased the man tune by 5 and all was good again.mine seems very sensitive to man tune + or - 5 .jp says to try the man tune on 128 but mine seems sweet between 88 and 95 depending on time of day etc.as i pm'd you its running a 12ínch nf advantage and is very sensitive.im only teaching myself and could be totally wrong but have a play with the man tune .im pretty well running jp's settings for noisy ground which is on here under another topic

Back to top Go down

Post  buzzdog Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm

cougarcans wrote:mine did that a couple of weeks ago buzz in wet noisy ground around rheola then i swore a lot.it was only in one area ,i increased the man tune by 5 and all was good again.mine seems very sensitive to man tune + or - 5 .jp says to try the man tune on 128 but mine seems sweet between 88 and 95 depending on time of day etc.as i pm'd you its running a 12ínch nf advantage and is very sensitive.im only teaching myself and could be totally wrong but have a play with the man tune .im pretty well running jp's settings for noisy ground which is on here under another topic

Evening Cougarcans,
Thanks for responding and the info, I spoke to the place I bought the detector from and explained the constant wailing noise I was getting. The guy said it definitely sounds like EMI, as no matter how much I adjust the threshold, the wailing does not seem to diminish. After hearing this info and thinking about the location I was in, it did dawn on me that I was only a few hundred meters away from a train line...maybe that was giving off EMI? But that aside, it seems that my detector is fine...just me being a newbie stressing over nothing.
buzzdog
buzzdog
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 am

no dramas buzz im only learning too.i see on another topic you're quizzing bout coils.mine loves the 12 inch nf advantage .i started with a 18x12 coiltek goldstalker which runs nowhere near as quiet as the nf.coiltek said to bring it back and they would test it,which is good.the nf will take bumping the ground, trees and anything else around that a learner hits and not make a peep.where as the coiltek was very touch sensitive,i have read on posts that the 18x12 is a great coil so it maybe has some issues.the nf finds a hell of a lot more shotgun shot, and slug gun pellets etc .an 8 gram piece was a good find 20 yards from the road near tarnagulla which screamed that hard i thought it was rubbish and nearly didnt dig it.cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  buzzdog Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm

cougarcans wrote:no dramas buzz im only learning too.i see on another topic you're quizzing bout coils.mine loves the 12 inch nf advantage .i started with a 18x12 coiltek goldstalker which runs nowhere near as quiet as the nf.coiltek said to bring it back and they would test it,which is good.the nf will take bumping the ground, trees and anything else around that a learner hits and not make a peep.where as the coiltek was very touch sensitive,i have read on posts that the 18x12 is a great coil so it maybe has some issues.the nf finds a hell of a lot more shotgun shot, and slug gun pellets etc .an 8 gram piece was a good find 20 yards from the road near tarnagulla which screamed that hard i thought it was rubbish and nearly didnt dig it.cheers

I hate being a newbie...but I guess with every new hobby you need to start from the bottom. Yeah, I was putting the feelers out for info on coils and what people seem to have more success with. Being the jube, I've only got the 11" mono and double D, to which most people either only use the mono or a completely different brand such as nugget finder or coiltek.
Wow...I really do hope I have some of the luck you've been having...just have to distinguish between the sounds as I seem to be experiencing EMI..although the 5000 still seems to detect with all the additional sounds...just have to concentrate on the relevent sounds I guess?
buzzdog
buzzdog
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Marty. I'm only using the 11 inch coils that came with the detector, Due to location I couldn't swing a bigger coil anyway! Haven't been out detecting for 2 months.
My highbanker is a winner at the moment 100 bucks worth of ally versus $6500.00 worth of technology? Location Location Location!
Cheers Chris.

Back to top Go down