Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX5000 need help

4 posters

Go down

GPX5000 need help Empty GPX5000 need help

Post  hot Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 am

I bought with my friend two detectors. But once discovered a problem!
Both devices just do not detect small targets. Any target is less than 1.5 grams (coin, a cross) is simply invisible.
Any change in setting does not change anything
Coins of large size are found in deep well
Mono Coil and DD are equally undetectable small targets
What should I do?

hot
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 need help Empty Re-gpx5000-need-help

Post  Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Hot is your 5000 English, if so have you got it set to fine gold setting, the front panel has switches you need to set the switch to special then on the back panel you have to select fine gold in the screen. Do you have the manual book that should have came with your machine, suggest you read it properly, may have to read it many times. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Mike.

P.S check the front panel there is a switch with DD..MONO..CANCEL make sure it is not switched to CANCEL.

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Hot.

Just out of curiosity did you purchase the two detectors as brand new units, how much did they cost, were they bought direct from a dealer or via an internet site.

I'm just wondering if they are genuine minelab 5000 because I saw a mate with a 5000 detect two small coins the other day in very hot ground using a mono coil. A silver sixpence and a copper coin. He had no difficulty in hearing the signals.

G.B.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 need help Empty Re: GPX5000 need help

Post  deutran Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Hot
Set correctly you should detect a staple,lead shot,boot tack,pin,or 0.1g nugget.Any mono coil is ok.Set as mike suggested if you still have problems set to default for a mono coil from the manual.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  hot Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 am

Mike54 wrote:Hi Hot is your 5000 English, if so have you got it set to fine gold setting, the front panel has switches you need to set the switch to special then on the back panel you have to select fine gold in the screen. Do you have the manual book that should have came with your machine, suggest you read it properly, may have to read it many times. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Mike.

P.S check the front panel there is a switch with DD..MONO..CANCEL make sure it is not switched to CANCEL.

I've been doing it all
also changed the position of the switch-DD Mono
Nothing changes for small items.
on both instruments!
Used mono and DD coils and coil

I also do a factory reset

Last edited by hot on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

hot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  hot Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:35 am

G.B. wrote:Hi Hot.

Just out of curiosity did you purchase the two detectors as brand new units, how much did they cost, were they bought direct from a dealer or via an internet site.

I'm just wondering if they are genuine minelab 5000 because I saw a mate with a 5000 detect two small coins the other day in very hot ground using a mono coil. A silver sixpence and a copper coin. He had no difficulty in hearing the signals.

G.B.

We buy 2 detectors Minelab Dealer
We bring to the Irish office detectors Minelab

hot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 am

Hi Hot yes I would take them back to the dealer and get them to check them out, maybe they can see what is the problem with your machines.

Cheers

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am

hey mate, have you tryed other coils? are you using speacker or headphones? i would try these out and if it's not the problem i would send them back to M/L to get them it checked out.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 pm

where did you buy your detector from and how much did you pay for it?

The reason for asking is it sounds like it might be a fake !

Regards,

UB

PS hopefully it's not !

Back to top Go down

Post  Roman69 Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:10 pm

My letter in company Minelab
Dear Sirs!

Recently I‘ve got as a gift from my friend device model GPX 5000 with serial number B8037561. I’m quite advanced user and have more than decade experience working with different models of metal detectors.

There are several issues and may be some misunderstanding happened working with specified device. It looks like that this device has not enough power while operating. It is able to define 1gr of gold at the distance not more than 5cm. And it doesn’t want to react on smaller amount of gold 0,2-0,5gr at any distance. This looks very strange, because according specification it must do it at the distance not less than 15-20cm.

It will be nice to discuss these issues in Russian language with Russian speaking representative of your company, because my English is too weak and this letter was written with the help of my friend.

Sincerely,

Roman Bobrov.
The answer from Minelab
Dear Mr. Bobrov

We thank you for your interest in our product and your query.

There are many varying questions on metals and depth of detection. Many of these conditions change in relation to air and ground tests. The Halo effect will come in to play with metals in the ground as they can leak into the soil. In terms of detection, the target must be under the coil to get a signal from it, and the distance/depth from the coil will depend on Example: A 30 gram nugget may be located at 50cm beneath the coil, but a 0.1 gram nugget may only be detected at 4 cm. With regard to depth the determining factors that govern how deep an object can be detected are the size of metal object - the bigger the surface area of the metal object then the deeper it can be detected, the size of the coil used on the detector - the bigger the coil the deeper it will detect and thirdly the mineralisation of the rock/soil - the GP Series has excellent ground balancing so it detects in harmony with the ground. The sounds of targets that you hear may also vary from loud sounds on shallow, large targets reflecting the proximity of the object to the coil and as the depth into the soil increases, the response sounds can become less strong. The point is that they are still noticeable as target sounds that give repeatable signals as you swing the coil over the target. The size of the object also influences the strength of the target response. Experience and knowledge of the machine will give you the skills that you need to know the difference in target responses indicating gold versus non-gold targets. There is also a discrimination function that will allow you to detect for All Metal or to detect by discriminating out iron targets.

If you need to discuss this in Russian, please contact our Russian Distributor at the following e-mail address.

Roman69
New Poster
New Poster

Registration date : 2012-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 am

Hot.

I'm a bit confused in your initial post you refer to having purchased two detectors with friend.

In your letter to Minelab you state you received one detector as a gift no mention of the second faulty detector.

In your reply they refer to the GP model not the GPX model, Was the reply letter signed or endorsed by the representative from Minelab. Any reference number quoted.

Just curious

G.B.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Roman69 Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Has carried out the test with мono 11 "the coil, gold to 0,8 gram doesn't see in general, a mode special and тimings Small Gold, combinations of other options strongly don't influence, about all as by default. Lead fraction 0,3грамма sees on 3-4 centimeters, to fraction 0,1грамм doesn't react in difference from Ф-75 which sees it on 2-3 centimeters

Roman69
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Roman
I just put on the 11"mono and did some air test in "Fine Gold" Special on the 5000.(Normal should give even better result and actual targets in ground will also give better depth).The gold nuggets are round solid.

0.2g gold 2cm
0.5g gold 10cm
1.0g gold 14cm

0.5g Lead bullet 7cm
1.0g Lead bullet slightly flat 16cm (Very good sharp signal)

Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Roman69 Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:08 am

Steve thanks for the answer! Try small weight of gold products, a chain, an earring from 0,3 - 0,6 gram. Participants of a forum please make the tests for gold and ornaments . Yours faithfully the Novel

Roman69
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down