Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5000 and coil selection

5 posters

Go down

5000 and coil selection Empty 5000 and coil selection

Post  nfinder Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi, Ive posted several threads on the GPX 5000 and coils, trying to get to the bottom of issues.
I had a couple of days in the bush (WA goldfields) on the weekend and again used nuggetfinder and commander coils.
The verdict as it stands with current coils available - I will now only use commander coils with my 5000.
With the commander coils (15x12 mono, 18" round mono) I did not experience the erratic noises and sensitivity to touch that I did with nuggetfinder advantage 16" and 18" mono. In the testing we were using 5000's and 4500.
The commander performed well on small nuggets and dragged out a few deep ones at good depth in the range of 15 to 50gms.

nfinder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Back to top Go down

5000 and coil selection Empty Re: 5000 and coil selection

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Like Ian said at the meeting you were at they carn't garrentee other coils will work on there 5000, a note was in the box with the new detector saying this.

I have no idea wether it is a coil problem or a detector problem, but if the detector works perfectly well with Minelab coils and plays up with other coils then this should answer the question. How you get this fixed is another matter.

You need to test the coils you want to buy on your machine before you commit the $ and sell the ones that don't work on your machine, because in all likelyhood they will work perfectly well on an older machine (4000 or 4500)

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi nfinder,

I only use NF advantage coils on my 5000 and they all run perfectly ( 14x7, 12,16 and 20 round ). Very Happy

The Minelab coils, whilst robust and perfectly suited to the 5000, are too heavy for their size.

Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Have decided to go for the 18in commander myself for my 5000 as I was (and still am) getting confused over the nfinder adv vs commander. Seems that some are experiencing problems on their machines whilst others are not. Confusing or what. Maybe it is down to the specific machine? Who knows.

Anyway, I figured 400-500 dollars (depending on which coil you get) is alot of money to shell out if the coil starts to play up out in the bush. So figure the commander is the safest bet for the money, heavier, yes, but I would rather swing a heavier coil that works than a lighter one that plays up.

A question i do wish to add to this thread is, If Minelab knew other coils would not (or maybe wouldnt) work properly on the machine, as by putting that note into each box stating the fact then why Has'nt Minelab started producing larger coils to keep in step with the other coil manafacturers. I mean seriously, they obviously knew the 5000 would have problems during their trials, so come on minelab, step up to the plate and start putting out some larger commander coils for your supporters
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 pm

If you buy a new coil from any retailer to use with a ML-5000 and it does not work then they or the manufacture should give a full refund or fix the problem.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:50 am

geof_junk wrote:If you buy a new coil from any retailer to use with a ML-5000 and it does not work then they or the manufacture should give a full refund or fix the problem.

Yes Geoff, it would be nice if they would refund,fix the problem , but I very much doubt that would be the case. Reason being is that the coil would work on another machine (and maybe even another 5000 ), as some posters has stated that these coils work fine on their 5000's whilst others are having problems.
Makes me think that each and every machine possibly has a slight varience with them. I suppose it is just like any other machine/electrical item you buy. No two are the EXACT same.
Maybe ML could start producing larger coils with reduced weights (as NF has done), It wouldnt be to hard for them to produce a SPOKE coil thus reducing the overall weight. It is amazing how much weight can be dropped off an item by shaving a little off here and there.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm

I have a 5000 and the only coil I use on it, that is not an NF, is a 6" Coiltec mono ellip. I have had no problems using my 5000 with any of the NF coils up to the 17"ellip. I have just purchased an 18" round NF mono for use in WA.

Is this stuff about problems with 5000 / NF coils, the start of an urban myth ?

The only operating problems I have had with coils are with the Coiltec 14" and 18" elip monos, which made heaps of noise everytime I touched a pebble or a blade of grass - I got rid of them and went to the quiet, light NF coils. Many people do not encounter this problem with Coiltec coils, because they detect well above the ground surface and don't touch stuff all the time like I do.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Nfinder

I guess you need to change your name to "Commander_comando" now hey Razz Razz

Happy Swingin
Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  nfinder Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Hah, I like that Pete in WA.
Ive now heard nuggetfinder manufactured after November 2010 have the same winding as commander coils, so when I head bush later this month I will try a couple of recent advantage coils. Im hoping they wont cause me any issues and I can replace my older advantage monos with a couple of newies. If not the commander's in my kit, only problem I'll then have to solve is that my swingin arm is getting bigger than my other, will have to start drinking king browns with the other arm to keep the balance.

nfinder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Nfinder

Mate thats great your goin onto the King Browns, and your drinkin arm seems
to be lookin up for the job too..... Razz Razz Razz

5000 and coil selection BoyWithArmThumb2