Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......

5 posters

Go down

HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......   Empty HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

G'day fellow prospectors.

Anyone out there using headphones other than the supplied Koss UR 30s.If so,how do you rank them.Are they similar,better or worse
than the supplied standard UR-30s that come with the machines.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......   Empty Re: HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 pm

G'day Kon61, I use a speaker most of the time but if I use headphones I use a set of these. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-Metal-Detector-Underchin-Earphones-4-MINELAB-etc-/300508525845?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item45f7b43515

I have been told that sennheiser headphones are really good (I have a set but use them only for music)
Pretty much any headphone will be ok but make sure that they are over 100 ohms (correct me if I'm wrong here)

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......   Empty Re: HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Should Headphones be Stereo or Mono to use on detectors? What I have heard that they should be Mono but I could be wrong.
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Good question Wombat, the koss ur-30 are stereo....plug them into your stereo and see what happens Laughing both ears!!
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......   Empty HEADPHONES

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I use these when I am not using the external speaker they give crystal clear sound and have a stereo jack and are only $59 COD.

http://www.goldhunterdetectors.com/headphones.html

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi
I have a GME spk07 CB Speaker and have tested it and it works fine on mono appliances.
It won’t work on my GPX4500 or my Eureka Gold as they are stereo wired.
I have ordered a double adapter for my 2 stereo speakers
But it has to be a stereo doubale addapter fitting not a mono fitting as there is a big difference.
Then I can listen with both ears and I want to have every advantage I can get in the field.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 pm

G'day GoldstalkerGPX.

Shame that Langy doesn't supply the nominal impedance(ohms) or you'd probably be able to get a similar pair from Sennheiser at half the cost.Way to steep a price for many. Ive tried several different makes and impedances in the past and have settled for the Sennheiser HD Classic 414s which are no longer available today.I found that these open cuff cushion head phones at 52 ohms suit all Minelab VLF and pulse up to the GPX4000,but because of the introduction of the inbuilt battery amplifier on the 4500/5000 are not suited to these models.Another good "EAR" phone suited up to the GPX 4000 are the Sennheiser OMX 80 Sport 11 for under $70.They sit at 64 ohms.
The Koss UR-30 at 100 ohms are more designed to suit the 4500/5000 with the built in amplifier system.Mind you you can buy off Ebay the Koss UR29 which have identical specs to the UR30s,but come with a straight lead instead of the curly one at half the cost of the UR 30s..

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Good one modernprospector.If they work good,that's a lot more realistic a price to pay.
Neale, if their not stereo headphones and plug,you'll be missing that crystal clear pin drop sound,via both ears.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 pm

shelby23 wrote:Hi
I have a GME spk07 CB Speaker and have tested it and it works fine on mono appliances.
It won’t work on my GPX4500 or my Eureka Gold as they are stereo wired.
I have ordered a double adapter for my 2 stereo speakers
But it has to be a stereo doubale addapter fitting not a mono fitting as there is a big difference.
Then I can listen with both ears and I want to have every advantage I can get in the field.
Regards Neale

Neale the GME speaker needs to be wired correctly and it will work straight off the 4500 or the 5000 supplied battery.

It needs a stero plug and the sheild wire/earth wire needs to go to the tip of the plug and the center wire needs to go to the first ring, the last ring gets nothing. I know this is a mono type wiring but this is what triggers the in built amp in the battery.

I use 2 of these speakers wired in parallel, it is still only mono but a bit like surround sound and works very well.

Here is a pic of a speaker with the stero jack but wired like it is supposed to be.

HEADPHONES THAT BEST SUIT GPX SERIES MACHINES.......   Speaker

Hope this helps
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi
Thank you I am learning about this

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

[quote="modernprospector"]I use these when I am not using the external speaker they give crystal clear sound and have a stereo jack and are only $59 COD.

yep i use these type of earpeice headsets. i bought them off a prospector out bush on a trip. absolutely love how crystal clear the sounds are and geez i had to adjust the volume quite a bit down compared to the standard headphones. i tried using an external speaker which i wasnt too happy with. just felt like i may have missed signals on a windy day. i think i may needed a booster or something. anyway what suits some are different to others.

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I use Koss TD80's, they are the best that I've found. Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 am

modernprospector wrote:I use these when I am not using the external speaker they give crystal clear sound and have a stereo jack and are only $59 COD.

You can get them from Jaycar for about $20 and use a $2 ladies hairband to mount them on

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:15 am

Goldnomad wrote:
modernprospector wrote:I use these when I am not using the external speaker they give crystal clear sound and have a stereo jack and are only $59 COD.

You can get them from Jaycar for about $20 and use a $2 ladies hairband to mount them on

Robert

Yep they are the ones that I gave a link to, I bought mine from Jack Lange for about $25 I think (via ebay)
The lot of 10 for $350 that I posted was the only link I could find at the time.

They are a beaut pair of phones and can still wear a wide brimmed hat.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

G'day GoldstalkerGPX.

Goldstalker,my apologies. I misinterpreted the link.I looked at the quantity as 1 for $350 and presumed that they cost $350 each.
10 pair for $350s more like it.$35 a set sounds more than reasonable.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  pedro Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:36 pm

I have the telex under chin head set they are great especially if your a bit deaf like me . George Mahers stock them at Cairns Miners Den he also uses them.I use them on my 4500 and then i can wear a hat beats wearing a cap and getting a sunburnt neck.

C Rolling Eyes aio Pedro
pedro
pedro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:37 am

Hi,

I got me a set of these & very happy Smile

http://www.detectorpro.com/blackwidow.htm

Cheers DINGO

Back to top Go down