Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me choose a detector for first time use

3 posters

Go down

Help me choose a detector for first time use Empty Help me choose a detector for first time use

Post  bicter Thu May 31, 2012 11:30 am

Hi all,
It's time for me to get serious about finding gold Smile
I've been searching and searching for a decent Minelab machine suitable for a beginner and priced below $3000 I've never owned a detector apart from a coinmaster.
From my research, I think I would initially be happy with the SD2200V2 (Should I discount the SD2100?) but would prefer something like the GP3500 or Extreme
Can I have peoples thoughts on what (&why) would be most suitable given the above criteria?

Also open to purchase a suitable machine if anyone is looking to sell theirs.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Help me choose a detector for first time use Empty re : first gold machine...

Post  vicgoldhunter Thu May 31, 2012 7:44 pm

hi mate... id reccomended to buy a plain pulse induction, minelab sd2100 green box machine, get a high seriel no unit though.. not modded ...
then buy a brand new coil ,a 14"x17" elp nugget finder mono coil.. n keep the 11dd coil. for hot ground...
very easy to use. easy to learn the target noise differences, goes deep as a pi machine, fully upgradable n total would be around $1500-1800 dollars... n keep the rest for detecting cost. Smile
a proven gold finder. it might be old but all the new machines all come from these early models Very Happy .. cheers...
vicgoldhunter
vicgoldhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-05-31

http://www.vicgoldhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Help me choose a detector for first time use Empty Re: Help me choose a detector for first time use

Post  bicter Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback Vic,
I'm in QLD and intend to have a good look around Warwick and down around Taloom. Not sure if it's hot ground or not. What are your thoughts on the SD2200V2?
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Help me choose a detector for first time use Empty Help me choose a detector for first time use

Post  vicgoldhunter Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 am

hi mate, i have to say , any pulse induction detector from the sd2000 n upwords to the gpx 5000, do what they r made to do detect. lol.... the 2200d in any version is an excellent machine...
very easy to use and these mdl have some descrimination... just make sure you buy it from a good gold detecting shop as ya get some warranty....
i heard of a few people lately gettin ripped off due to people buying what the thought were new machines like versions 2's, n gpx 4000 , 4500, 5000 etc from ebay etc...
n later to find out that its not the real deal... fake...! so .. make sure ya do ya checks if buying one from any were else.. my suggestion would be ,to do a ring around a few
detecting shops... see what s/h detectors some of these's shops have for sale... as they will kindly show you how they work... give you very good advise, n some sort of warranty... 3 mths normaly..
n a real machine for ya money...all the gd shop's ive every been to are very happy to help n work out a top starter package, coz ya gana need a couple of things not just a machine.. pick, maps, a lil nugget, etc... Smile
so a few calls around a chat etc neva hurts.... so i hope this helps ya a bit.... cheers n goodluck... !
vicgoldhunter
vicgoldhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Help me choose a detector for first time use Empty Re: Help me choose a detector for first time use

Post  bicter Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Ok, so any Minelab PI detector is OK. What about the availability of suitable coils as these detectors are getting quite old now.
I had read somewhere, can't recall where, that the later coils weren't suited to the older detectors and that while they appear to work OK, they dont provide the depth of the original coils due to a different Q factor.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  vicgoldhunter Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:45 pm

most coiltek coils, nugget finder coils etc will work fine even the mono's with these sd machines... a lot of people these days r all about the gpx's n gp n say the sd is old no good!...
all i can say is i have used a gpx 5000, 4500, gp 3500 gp extreme, n sd 2200d, 2000..... the sd 2100 is my pic i lv this machine n today its still what i use...
my good friend has a gpx5000, he paid $6000 for it, he uses a big dollar mono coil but i have proven to him, time n time again its not the machine or the big $$$$$ ya spend to find stuff?
it the guy using it.... ive been out n he can t beleive that my old banger goes deeper that his gpx and ive found more items not just gold, coins rings bottles etc with it,
n i put me 18"dd coiltek coil on it n have hit targets at 1.2mtrs in creek beds in vic gold fields, that his gpx5000 cant see .... its more i no my machine n its tones now,
even though he has what the call the best gold detector in the world.... so just keep that in mind 2.... cheers
vicgoldhunter
vicgoldhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Help me choose a detector for first time use Empty The V machines Why would you

Post  Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi All
The V machines are not full specification machines the sd2000 sd2100 sd 2200 gp extreme gp3000 and so on are.For example the gp3000 new was around $5000 and the V machines sold around $3000.They are the cheapest PI machines ever built.Minelab brought these out to fill a gap in the market place.There are people that always bought new but wanted cheaper.So be carefull.There is no choice.You can now buy secondhand a better machine than the V series.They should never be confused with even a sd2200d,that machine is in a totally different class.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Bicter,
Owned an SD2100 from new for 10 years, this machine talked to me, it would be an ideal machine to get you started in your price range.
If you decide to go down this path I have some very helpful instructions to get you onto gold.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:21 am

Hi all, ended up getting a 2100. Couldn't source a decent 2200.
Nightjar, you suggestted you may be able to help me out with some detailed instructions Smile Happy to see what you've got
Regards
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 am

Here you go Bicter,

Tuning your Minelab SD 2100:
Firstly you probably HAVE missed many nuggets with your SD "warbling" in your earphones. When I now get the slightest variation in the "hum" I scrape off the top layer of rocks, grass etc and if the signal has improved it is usually a small target, hopefully a nugget.
Getting back to tuning:
With the machine turned on and holding it at waist height with base of coil vertical, rotate 360deg, noting which direction the warbling is greatest.
Lay the detector and coil on the ground with the coil tilted up at about 45/60 deg and facing direction of strongest interference.
Place one hand on the box to keep it steady so there are not any false signals (as you can well imagine the 1 & 2 balance positions are not ultimately tuned at this stage) with your other hand using the small screwdriver, rotate the tuning screw clockwise. (At this point it may be easier to remove your back pack and lay it next to the detector) If you haven't achieved any improvement after say 20 rotations clockwise, rotate anticlockwise for 20 rotations (back to starting point) then keep rotating anticlockwise for another 20 rotations. (This pot does not have a "stop" so it may take time.)You may feel like a bit of a dork out in the middle of nowhere down on all fours with your butt in the air but believe me it is worth the effort.
If you persevere eventually the threshold will become a steady Hummmm! You will only need to readjust if you move to complete new mineralised ground or your machine again becomes unsteady. After you have your machine humming steadily stand up and go through the 1-2 positions of balancing your machine.
At this point it is advisable to select the “Tone” that most suits your hearing.
Using a small target (shotgun pellet is ideal) scrape a small hole and place target in the hole. Now swing your coil across the target, vary the tone until you get the clearest/ sharpest signal that suits your hearing.
LOW and SLOW and ALWAYS investigate any change in tone no matter how slight, those little grammers soon add up.
Pinpointing your signal:
When a signal is targeted, draw a line through where you think the target is, now step around 90deg and again swing and again draw a line through where you think the target is. Where the two lines cross will be approximately where your target is laying. (After you become confident you will find only imaginary lines are required.)
Coils:
Mono coils have a different target centre to your DD coils, practice with both using previous pinpointing method until you are confident. If the ground is highly mineralised and your machine continually chatters you may need to use your DD coil only.
Tip:
If your signal varies considerably while using the pinpointing method it is quite possible your target is ground noise. (Scrape of the top layer of dirt, the signal should increase if it is a target.)
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  vicgoldhunter Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:39 pm

good choice mate.. i lv me sd2100 it will find ya gold... Smile n to Nightjar beautifual post mate... exactually right...
a tip from me.. get ya self a pair of koss headphoneto use with ya 2100... these r rippa's to use with the 2100... i havent found better....!
an ya looking for the lil cookoo, sound with a pair of these on.. it would most likely be lead, a 22 bullet or you bet ya..... gold Smile good luck....
happy hunting!!!

vicgoldhunter
vicgoldhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down