Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight

+2
granite2
nero_design
6 posters

Go down

THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight Empty THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 pm

i'm going to repost this as i have been asked by so many members off the forum to do it. i'm going to do it the right way so there's going to be nothing like last time... i found this a great read and i thought i would post it for others to read and comment... i know some off our forum member from the usa would love to read this....

http://www.gold-net.com.au/archivemagazines/apr20/85439743.html#13
tcheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight Empty Re: THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight

Post  nero_design Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:38 pm

THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight 9780670028764

There's a book on The Welcome Stranger Nugget written by Denise Deason.... the Great, Great Granddaughter of one of the two finders.

At the end of the book, she makes a rather startling claim: ..... that word has been passed down throughout the family for generations that they 'pinched' the nugget from a neighbour's property after indulging in a litte fence-jumping. The two prospectors had run out of money and the previous week their families had been turned down for a loan (or credit) to buy food and bread. Their puddler had produced nothing in months and so they took to prospecting the surrounding properties in desperation. This also explains why local prospectors felt there was no sign of such a haul after being taken to the site where the nugget was said to be found. Tough times.

So which is likely to be the true story?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight Empty Re: THE REAL WELCOME STRANGER STORY by Katherine Knight

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 pm

The truth will never be known as there is even conflicting stories handed down the Oats and Deason family lines, they both have different versions. The origional players took the truth to the grave with them.
Fascinating read that book is though and very well written! Should be part of the curriculum for schools as it follows such a famous and intriging part of Australian history and makes the reader feel they are right there in the story.
Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:14 pm

i'm not realy worried about wich story is true i just love reading up on what happen... one off them have to be right you would think...or close to
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi All
This is certainly a fantastic part of our history.The Deason decendants still live in the area.I met the great great greatgrandson 10 years ago at the Mt Moliagul Pub.He was playing cricket for Moiliagul.John Deasons grave is at moliagul cemetary.Theres been a story going around for years that if you stop and say hello and place a flower on the grave your luck will change.The area is steeped in history and well worth a look if you are visiting the area.
Cheers Dig

Last edited by Dig24crt on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

One never knows what to believe when it comes to a gold find. For several weeks after the Hand Of Faith was found there was a story that it had been found in WA and brought to Victoria to avoid tax.???

But I bet this book will be a great read.

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 pm

All who know me well, know my little saying.......

THERE'S NO TRUTH IN GOLD!!!!

Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  everhopeful Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Nero ..maybe this is a mystery that you could spend abit of your detective inner-self bringing to light the truth about the real story of the Welcome Stranger.

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 am

I heard the there was a UFO involved lol!

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  monoman1961 Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 am

i found a book on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350444874550n ebay

thanks monoman
monoman1961
monoman1961
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down