Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off.

+14
CostasDee
Justdigging
goldquest
Imadogman
shandeemax
Qld Sandy
Gunpowder
Tunnel Rat
goldenbrown
robby_h
Narrawa
Razgo
Mechanic
nero_design
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 Empty Re: Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off.

Post  Narrawa Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:48 pm

This was tested last week with the 4500 and ML 11" mono, and has the same effect as noted on the 5000s, so its not just NF & CT coils that are effected.

Garret have been notified about it long ago, but were not to interested as its usable with a wide range of coin/relic detectors i was told.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 Empty Re: Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off.

Post  goldquest Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:38 pm

larry303 wrote:I wont be getting a lot of depth out of mine it will stay in my car.....
I detected today in The One Eye State Forrest.
Amazingly when the Pro Pointer is switched off it creates even greater interference on a stable GPX5000 with standard Commander Mono 11" than it does when switched on...
I measured today and cannot bring the Pro Pointer closer than 8' <8 foot!> without considerable interference..take it away and no interference, bring it within 8' and I'm not talking a slight warble I'm talking an unstable detector you could not reasonably detect with...this is exactly the same result as with the other 2 GPX5000's in my above post....
I took out the battery and it made no difference so Mick/Mechanic is absolutely right as he stated in above post....I even touched the nose on my metal pick as suggested by a Forum member to discharge any built up capacitance, and it made no difference whatsoever....
Nero, I put it up where you've got yours which is well within 8' and it could be heard interfering with the GPX...
Someone might have to do a mod in terms of Mechanic's suggestion or Garrett fix the problem as I find it hard to believe that interference will only be caused to some detectors and not others..thats an interesting hypothsis anyone care to comment on...my GPX ran like a dream today with perfect stability <with the Pro Pointer in my car> just like it did before I got my Pro Pointer....I cannot believe this problem is not already known to Garrett in USA......but I dont read the US Garrett Forums...I also believe that Minelab must already know but it is hardly their problem and I guess they would be seen to be opposition bashing if they did point it out to GPX owners....$180 I could have put to better use with a Coiltek pin pointer....I presume they dont have the same problem of causing interference when switched off....I know their selling point is that you have to connect to use but wouldnt it have similar small coil?.....comments? Hoo Roo

Hi larry303, I have a Coiltek pinpointer and works very well with my 4500, even the Minelab instructor at the training day at Talbot suggested to buy a Coiltek instead than Garrett, and cost only $137.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Justdigging Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:09 am

Just mod it and will work as per Mechanics post and if no good at soldering , take it to any large shopping center and go to the phone repair shops located in the walk ways . They will mod it up if you have the parts for a small fee, just print out post or most have seen have the internet on ,log on and show them .
Justdigging
Justdigging
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a few small questions for the Mechanic re this mod...

Mick I was looking at your diagram and your pictures and your explanation. Let me say that your work is brilliant and I, like many more here, thank you for your invaluable and fantastic work.

I am looking at doing it to my pinpointer so I thought I'd study the process. I am just a little confussed though. In your description you state that you short the coil through the 1k resistor, but in the actual picture, if I use the center connector of the relay which I presume shorts with the 1k resistor in the off position, that wire is marked as going to detector. Shouldn't it be the wire marked as going to the coil?
Next, I am presuming (but I could be wrong) that for the 1k resistor, one side is clearly going to the relay, but is the other side is shorted to ground?
And lastly, the power to operate the relay I am pressuming once again, is derived from the original switch?

Many thanks in advance Mick.

bounce
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 pm

G'day CostasDee,

I see what your saying, but the relay is not wired up how you think! I had a look at the datasheet and it is a very good generic datasheet! Rolling Eyes I remember when I got that relay I had to test it to see what was what. I have edited some photos to show the relay connections.

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 Installedandexplained

As you can see the resistor trace joins to the ground trace next to it with a blob of solder at the end of the trace. I deliberately joined the trace there so there would not be a little antenna left there, although in reality I don't think it would make any difference. The switched power to operate the relay was taken from 2 vias. The photo below shows the vias on the other side of the board. Unfortunately I don't have a clean photo of the other side of the board. The vias are locades directly beneath the wires.

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 Disconnectvias

Just make sure you are careful with the switch during disassembly and re-assembly, you need to hold the switch down as it pushes under the case. Also make sure you mount the relay in the same spot as the picture, mounting it up front closer to the probe makes the pinpointer less sensitive.

Hope that helps!

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Very many thanks Mick, I should've guessed it was not the "norm". Thanks for the extra details in the photos. You've made it very easy for me (and anyone else) to follow.I'll be ordering the relay soon and let you know how I go, although I cant forsee any problems.
Many thx once again.
cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:15 pm

G'day Guys,

It seems as though the original relay I used for the mod is out of stock for about 3 months http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1770604

So I have found an alternative one that is similar and will do the job nicely. http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1770604 They will be in stock in a few days.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 Empty Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched

Post  Col Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:17 pm

G'day Mick
Thanks very much for your ideas and posts for this modification. I have carried it out and it works perfectly. Until now, I felt I had wasted my money buying a pro pointer as there was no way I could carry it on my person while detecting with my 5000. Fair dinkum, it gave a signal on the 5000 similar to waving the coil within a couple of meters of the car! Now the pro pointer needs to be within about 2' before the 5000 picks it up. In fact it's about the same as the pro pointer battery on it's own.
I had a bit of an issue with the configuration of my relay contact terminals being different from shown in the photo/diagram, however a quick check with a multimeter sorted that out. The only other thing I needed was some magnifying glasses and 2 shots of Bushmills to steady the soldering iron.
Many thanks Mick
Cheers
Col.

Col
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi Col,

Good to hear! Very Happy I am glad that it has helped you....

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  woody Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Easy Fix
woody
woody
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-03-23

http://detectormods.com

Back to top Go down

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 Empty FOR SALE

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Garrett Pro Pointer lead lined cod piece holder.
$50 ea
free delivery

Laughing

onya woody for showing us something for nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 am

This is my mates solution to interferance with the 5000 from the pinpointer. it is made from a skinny alloy deodorant can cut and siliconed inside the pouch. it works!

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 004

Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer can make your GPX5000 unstable even when switched off. - Page 3 003
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Excellent idea. Wish I had seen it b4 I made the relay mod to mine (which works great let me add), and stuffed up my switch so I had to run wires along the outside to the batt cap where I've taped a toggle switch. Works good but looks crap. The skinny alloy wouldve been somewhat easier.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Paddy Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 pm

This is a real problem.
I love using my Garrett pin pointer but it is a real problem with my 4500 even when the pin pointer is turned off. I temporally overcome the issue by wrapping the pin pointer in a couple of layers of alfoil. Which Leeds me to the next question could a simple cheap Faraday shield be made using the mesh out of a microwave oven door and fitting it into the standard pin pointer pouch stop the interference?  Question
Cheers Leigh  Q39
Paddy
Paddy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3