Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petrol powered Hookahs

3 posters

Go down

Petrol powered Hookahs Empty Petrol powered Hookahs

Post  blueyonder Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:17 pm

If you scroll down on this Ebayer's page there is some good info for those like me who need educating.If you check out the sellers other items,there are some nice nugs to perve at.
Any of you guys using hookahs for crevicing?Anyone have any experience of the electric compressor this Ebayer is selling? I suppose you could run it off a small genny and use long wires to avoid the danger of carbon monoxide getting into the air supply.
I believe motorised dredging is banned in OZ.Are there restrictions in state forests for motorised compressors,generators or pumps for high-bankers?
Been too busy to get out to the gold country and the beaches are still sanded in.
Cheers..Dave
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gold-Mining-Suction-Dredge-Electric-Portable-3-nozzle-/280625801325?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Mining_Equipment&hash=item415699e86d

blueyonder
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-07-20

Back to top Go down

Petrol powered Hookahs Empty Re: Petrol powered Hookahs

Post  skysite Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey Dave
It's like anything you buy if you don't put it in the right place it don't work......and pretty sure they will rip you a new %#*hole if caught using one.....
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post  gone2ground Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 pm

I do believe one of the conditions of a Miners Right is "non mechanical hand tools only". I've looked into this just as you are now and I remember reading somewhere that technically you can remove water on it's own, stones and rocks on their own but not both at the same time and as a result, I have stopped researching possibilities until I make it into the DPI in person.

Having said that. On the electric hookah pump, what you can do with it depends on the psi, depth of dive etc with top quality pumps only allowing around 30mins of use before overheating. If you want to run a genny to run a 12v electric compressor then why not invest in a petrol powered hookah pump and spend the leftover $$$ that would have been spent on an overpriced electric dredge on a hand dredge and a decent wetsuit and sluice? Idea
gone2ground
gone2ground
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:25 pm

The electric dredge shown will not work, the electric pump supplied does not have the required volume & pressure to run a suction nozzle, not evan in 2".

Have spoken to the Ebayer myself stating this, plenty of shonky deals on Ebay!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 pm

i have also spoken to this ebayer and ive even had him change his spiel !! he now says that in Oz you can use his highbanker version but as i pointed out to him its still a venturi and in Vic is banned !! his reply to me was ----Looks like you are more confident in dreging situation
I do not think I can be moore helpfull
I suggest to go for detecting -it is absolutely leagal
Regards
Val
i left the spellings as verbatim!!! lol I also contacted the Dave Mc Cracken guy he is quoting and asked if he had given his permission to do so -- his reply was a curt --yes i know. hhhmmmm me thinks there is an American connection here lol -- It is not illegal to own a dredge nor is it illegal to sell one -- but i think this just entraps people into doing the wrong thing in law

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes using a dredge in Victoria, NSW or QLD is a big no no.
Very high fines! I am unsure the unsuspecting bidders of this item would be shocked at the trouble they could get in too!

Detecting is a great hobby & still legal in a large area! Better off sticking to that!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:08 pm

i dont own a detector but i do pan and sluice and i often see where people have been dredging ,now i have no problems with recreational dredging if it was legal for all to do , but its not so i will endeavor to stop these people doing this as i know the way they are leaving the areas will lead to the closure of more areas

Back to top Go down

Petrol powered Hookahs Empty Re Info for Newbies

Post  blueyonder Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Actually guys I am not interested in an electric compressor to run a sluice etc but only as an air supply while crevicing with hand tools in deepish water.Petrol powered hookahs have caused a few cases of carbonmonoxide poisoning which I am definitely not interested in.The info about location of gold deposits in and near rivers is well down on that page if anynewbiebody is looking..Cheers..Dave

blueyonder
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-07-20

Back to top Go down