Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SD 2200D and Discrimination

3 posters

Go down

SD 2200D and Discrimination Empty SD 2200D and Discrimination

Post  forester01 Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 pm

G'day Gents,

I've recently upgraded from my well used but trusty SD2100 to a 2200D. With the detector came a few DD and mono coils - probably all I'll need until I learn what the latest unit can do. Also inherited the user's manual which contains presumably all the information I'll need. It all looks pretty straightforward until I get to the 'discrimination' section. Having dug every signal with the 2100 I think it's probably about time I got to know what discrimination is all about.

In a previous post it was explained clearly that discrimination only works when using the DD coils - message understood so far. So now can someone explain in prospector's terms how to use the discrimination best with a DD coil? Thanks.

Mike
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

SD 2200D and Discrimination Empty Re: SD 2200D and Discrimination

Post  mallee00 Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Mike, dont bother with the discrimination, will only work near the surface and is not reliable, better off running in all metal and dig everything. Just my thoughts. Mallee00 and the mutt

mallee00
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

SD 2200D and Discrimination Empty sd2200d

Post  Tarnagulla Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:57 pm

What mallee00 is saying is totally correct, do not under any circumstances rely on the discrimination on any Minelab PI detectors. I have seen a 3 ounce nugget with ironstone`attached discriminated out with a 2200.
regards Minersright

Tarnagulla
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

SD 2200D and Discrimination Empty Discrimination - 2200D

Post  forester01 Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:32 am

Thanks for the info, gents. It confirms what I'd suspected. Makes you wonder why Minelab bother building in the so-called discrimination capacity into their machines, then making claims regarding its efficiency which apper to be unfounded.

Mike W
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down