Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dredging in australia

+4
Show Me The Gold
detecta2
nero_design
showtime
8 posters

Go down

dredging in australia Empty dredging in australia

Post  showtime Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Can somebody please help me out, I am wanting to know if dredging is still allowed with a permit.
I have asked a few people and they have said it is illegal, but I have another mate who says you just need
a permit. Can someone help me?

showtime
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-12-01

Back to top Go down

dredging in australia Empty Re: dredging in australia

Post  Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 pm

Frankly, I'd look in the constitution to see what it says about the matter. Hundreds of laws are passed every week which are unconstitutiuonal, and therefore illegal. Things have become so ridiculous that many activities taken for granted 25 years ago are now branded illegal or require a permit/licence. This short video does an excellent good of describing The Story of Your Enslavement.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 am

what state are you in? -- go to the appropriate government site and find out --- i think some states will allow it on a claim site but i hear its very hard to get a permit to do so!! so i would say its illegal for the Joe Blow to dredge and in Vic using a sucker pump (as in a type of yabbie pump) is also illegal -- some would argue that point but as it says in the legislation " the lands manager on the day has the final say"

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Murachu wrote:what state are you in? -- go to the appropriate government site and find out --- i think some states will allow it on a claim site but i hear its very hard to get a permit to do so!! so i would say its illegal for the Joe Blow to dredge and in Vic using a sucker pump (as in a type of yabbie pump) is also illegal -- some would argue that point but as it says in the legislation " the lands manager on the day has the final say"

That's incorrect. Legislation allows for the use of non-powered tools to extract gold (ie by hand). This includes suction pumps like a crevice sucker and a yabbie pump. Using a powered sluice with a petrol driven motor still requires the soil to be moved by hand... the sluice is simply used as a classifier. Same applies to metal detectors. You still have to dig by hand and the humble metal detector is only used to locate the metal, not to dig or extract it. But if you bring out a mechanical backhoe to do the digging, you're in trouble because that's defined as "Mining". I think perhaps you are confusing the use of a motorized suction device (dredge) which moves or removes soil... with a hand-operated suction pump which is not considered mechanical extraction via machinery.

From a letter I have here:
"The regulations specify that a person must not, in the course of fossicking, use any explosives or power operated equipment, If a fossicker uses a hand feed sluice box, capable of being lifted by a single person, which is not located in a stream and only water and not gravel is pumped to it then my Department would consider such activity as complying with the spirit and intention of the regulations". Forwarded by Minister For Mineral Resources (The Hon Bob Martin). "This language was based upon advice received from the Department's Mines Inspection Branch"(NSW).

Now you can pick this apart with interpretations but the Mining Act (NSW) 1992 allows for various methods of fossicking. Even State Forests understand the need to dig a hole in the ground with a pick. But using a hand-pump is not considered to be powered-extraction or mining by definition, nor would it be considered so 'in the spirit of the law'.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

dredging in australia Empty Gold Dredging legal status

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:18 pm

All States current situation is strictly illegal!

Fines in the vicinity of $250,000 plus confiscation of transport, dredge & support gear, proceeds of crime ( gold ).
plus costs to fill in holes etc.

Most would be surprised at the level of policing carried out for illegal dredge operators!

Those that use to dredge legally are aware the activity providing banks are not undercut causes no harm.
Convincing the green lobby, public & the authorities of such not likely!

You are better off detecting or panning.

Last edited by Monoloop68 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:51 pm

nero_design wrote:
Murachu wrote:what state are you in? -- go to the appropriate government site and find out --- i think some states will allow it on a claim site but i hear its very hard to get a permit to do so!! so i would say its illegal for the Joe Blow to dredge and in Vic using a sucker pump (as in a type of yabbie pump) is also illegal -- some would argue that point but as it says in the legislation " the lands manager on the day has the final say"

That's incorrect. Legislation allows for the use of non-powered tools to extract gold (ie by hand). This includes suction pumps like a crevice sucker and a yabbie pump. Using a powered sluice with a petrol driven motor still requires the soil to be moved by hand... the sluice is simply used as a classifier. Same applies to metal detectors. You still have to dig by hand and the humble metal detector is only used to locate the metal, not to dig or extract it. But if you bring out a mechanical backhoe to do the digging, you're in trouble because that's defined as "Mining". I think perhaps you are confusing the use of a motorized suction device (dredge) which moves or removes soil... with a hand-operated suction pump which is not considered mechanical extraction via machinery.

From a letter I have here:
"The regulations specify that a person must not, in the course of fossicking, use any explosives or power operated equipment, If a fossicker uses a hand feed sluice box, capable of being lifted by a single person, which is not located in a stream and only water and not gravel is pumped to it then my Department would consider such activity as complying with the spirit and intention of the regulations". Forwarded by Minister For Mineral Resources (The Hon Bob Martin). "This language was based upon advice received from the Department's Mines Inspection Branch"(NSW).

Now you can pick this apart with interpretations but the Mining Act (NSW) 1992 allows for various methods of fossicking. Even State Forests understand the need to dig a hole in the ground with a pick. But using a hand-pump is not considered to be powered-extraction or mining by definition, nor would it be considered so 'in the spirit of the law'.

In Victoria it says "any device that lifts sand/gravel with water is illegal" and there is a move afoot to challenge this interpretation but as it stands now in Vic its illegal thats why i said "go to your relevant Gov. site and check"

this is part of the problem --which is not located in a stream and only water and not gravel is pumped to it

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Theres a well known guy at Sofala thats been done 3 times now for dredging, ,was having a beer wth the gent at camp about 2 years ago, memory is a touch dim but pretty sure his last fine was around $1400 and he didnt loose his gear,I was surprised it was so lenient,I thought it was a major crime, phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

dredging in australia Empty Gold Dredging

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:08 pm

The reason the penalty is so high is to deter illegal operators, it is also classified as illegal mining!
That means no difference in penalty to say 2" dredge for an hours work to an eight inch for a month!

Back to top Go down

Post  Show Me The Gold Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 pm

So to clarify a hand dredge can be used in NSW cos i just bloody made one and would be a bit ticked off if now cannot use it Sad
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeJ Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Im fine with the no dredging policy. I still like to get out with the pan and get the odd few specks. I realise that new stuff is always being redeposited but I cant help thinking how many more specs i could be picking up if my favorite creek hadn't been raped by dredges in the 80's. The creek ended up pretty stuffed in some sections.

DeeJ
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Maestro Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi showtime...Goomeri eh...good old QLD...dredging is illegal in QLD..at least it was last time I checked.
There was a post about this on the forum previously ... https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t6253-dredging-laws-in-qld

cheers

Maestro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I did hear of a guy that was dredging near the road at Oallen Crossing. The inspectors turned up, he was most probably dobbed in. He had been there for a few weeks. He was told to p**** off and go to another part of the river, where the public could not see him. So, go to a rich, remote area of the river and you will have little problem. If you are dredging in the middle of Sofala , expect a heap of trouble.....
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 pm

The avatar is a photo of me dredging in the Shoalhaven River, down from the crossing. It was a few years ago but all the time I was dredging, I never had any body ask what I was doing.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Don't know about other state but Victoria Dpi regulation say No mechanical aid to get pay dirt. I have ask about hand sucker & reply is that it is machanical no it can't be used. My opinion is that these hand pumps are not machanical but I have got the money to waste in solicitors to find out.
If I'm correct Victorian Law doesn't say anything about power tools, it say's machinical device. So maybe we should have a better look at definition of machanical.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down