Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the 5000 and power lines?

Go down

the 5000 and power lines? Empty the 5000 and power lines?

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 pm

has anybody had much experience with useing their 5000 around power lines?

only put my new 5000 together today, went out the back yard, which is surrounds by houses and power lines.

useing a mono coil, i couldnt believe how quiet the machine was running. tests with the 4500 and 4000 at the same spot were a disaster because of the interference. cant wait to test it out on some hot ground ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

the 5000 and power lines? Empty Re: the 5000 and power lines?

Post  Guest Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Kev

Always use an anti-interference coil on all my machines myself, its just to much of a trade off on depth and sens
running any machine in cancel mode.
have been getting great gold under powerlines on most fields by just targeting those runs next to roads and where
gully's cross under powerlines.
I look at the maps of diggings and just opperate on those areas and can move to the next target area as the day goes.
That way i'm just hitting the best ground and the grader drivers keep on pushing the ground every year to prep for the next rains.

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:18 pm

hi beepinpete,
no mate wasnt useing the machine in cancel mode at all.
tried it in general normal, smooth, enhance, extra, fine gold. (allwith my NF 17x11 mono)
the machine was similarly quiet in all those modes, general normal, surprised the hell out of me, it was running so smooth. hope it does that in some hot ground.
(i was able to get a very obvious signal, air tested over a .3 grammer with distance of up to four inches.
extra was strongest, then normal, then enhance, then smooth, and fine gold gave me a confused signal? but stronger than smooth)
santa came early, i think the cost of upgradeing may turn out to be worthwhile ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 am

Hi Kev,

WOW! thats bloody amazing news, i know the EMI problem is said to be a lot less with the 5000
but i have only run my machine way out bush so far,but i'm gonna fit a mono and suss it out in the backyard.

BRB

I did hook up a tiny mono 40 ft from a power line, and the EMI was only noticeable when you swang the coil
in a certain direction to the way the powerline ran.
It was very usable and easily heard 0.5 gram bit at 8 inch air test...

Very nice i must say..

A lot of people have been testing the 5000 on the salt lakes over here with varying results as youd expect, owing to
a fair few of the operators have only just jumped up to the 5000 from owning sd/early Gp Machines and it will take a few of em a tad
longer to grasp the "Digitalised" detectors over the older "anolog" versions..
The Gold is popping out all over the place thats for sure..

Pete WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:05 am

My wife and I have used a 4500 and a 5000 DIRECTLY UNDER powerlines using a 12" NF Adv. mono coil in Enhance and Fine Gold. They were a bit noisy but we did find gold there. The 5000 is definately quieter around power lines.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:35 pm

soooooo, the quieter 5000 around electrical problems, opens up a whole stack of country that previously was a waster of time, or gave minimal response in cancel modes. the extra depth and quietness of machine should be a winner.

BEEPINPETE you seem to have your act together on this score. pity there is only 24 hours in a day ... kev

EDITED two days later (thursday)---- i was out the back at the same spot again this arvo, sorry i have to report the performance is back to normal, that is, pure crappy with electrical interference. must have been a weather induced glitch, or some electrical source in the area was not a problem two days ago. BUGGER ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down