Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

+5
Nightjar
kevlorraine2
24kt
HOBO'S Gold
Jigalong
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 - Page 2 Empty Re: I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 am

Jigalong wrote:"A lot of blokes are sending thier perfect coils in and ofcause they are coming back with a clean bill of health (as mine would). Realistically I don't think it would be fair for ML the be expected to pick up the tab when there was no problem to start with. They are already paying some bugger to needlessly check them." Tuna

Tuna, like Robert, I sent mine back without knowing if it was faulty. I was not in a position where I could check mine before my next two week trip - but that is beside the point I reckon.

If a coil's serial number is within the designated problem area, I think it should be checked. If something in the coil is not secured correctly, it could be OK for a while and then come adrift - on a six week trip to WA. Why should a customer risk that ? Minelab created the problem, they should take anything sent back and check it out (and they have to their credit).

Mine was faulty and it was repaired and sent back.

Jig.

Hi Jigs, as I said in the first part of my post....
"Off the top of my head I can't think of any company that pays postage both ways on a warrenty claim.
While I can understand paying for freight to get your detector and finding the coil dodgey, yep I agree it's a bit rugged having to foot another expense to get it right. But it is standard industry practice throughout most industries. They pay the return frieght only."

I AM NOT having a crack at anyone for sending thier coil in...I was making a point that standard industry practice is one way postage at the cost of the buyer. Also why should any company have to pay for both ways postage for something that (a) they asked not to be sent in and (b) that didn't need to be sent in.
From what I understand it was a fault from the get go, not a fault that showed itself later on after a bit of use.
And I don't just mean ML, I believe that for any company with any product.

Back to top Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 - Page 2 Empty Re: I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:41 pm

G'day MT,

You are correct about the one-way postage for warranty work. I don't know of anyone-except ASUS when I sent my laptop to them last year-that pays for freight both ways.

I used the same logic as Jig. I didn't want to be caught short in the bush with a dud coil. Not that I use the Commander much but that's not the point.

Cheers

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm

I just purchased my new GPX 5000 from Toowoomba and it has the 106 serial number.

If i test it and it does make that noise wouldn't i simply be able to return it to the place of purchase and then that business sends it back to minelab? I am pretty sure thats how it works under warranty and if you did it within the first week or 2?

I have the battery on charge for overnight so cant test it until tomorrow. but being in Brisbane can i really test it with noise levels as they are anyway?

not sure what to do now.

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-11-04

http://www.medicalpricewatch.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:54 am

well with my very limited experience with metal detectors i think it might be fine. i tested it out on my backyard. i did a GB but not even sure i did that right. so i simply ran over some metal to make sure it was working and then away from the metal it went quiet.

i ran it through some lots of long grass (lawn needs mowing) and it made no noise and bumped it around a bit and still no noise unless i was over metal.

so i am guess this means my coil is not effected?

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 am

actually scrap that, i had th front panel switch coil on "cancel" instead of mono.

so of course there is lots of wooohoo noise up/down now. how far away would i need to go to do a proper test? I live at norman park brisbane.

edit/

made an executive decision and posted the coil off to minelab after i spoke to them on the phone. minelab support basically said "if in doubt" send it back. so i did Smile

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 am

Better to be safe than sorry Razgo

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Robert, i agree. at the end of the day if it's know to be a "possible" fault during production then it's something that could occur at any time whilst out detecting. So i agree its best just to return it and get sent back one that is known not to be faulty during production.

the other coil it came with the Double D serial C6039058 and isn't in that list. haven't tested it yet with all this rain and i can only scan my house so many times guessing how many tonnes of gold are lying beneath before the dog starts to disown me trying to get away from me Smile

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:33 pm

just thought i would update my post. I got the same coil back.

They said they tested my coil using a new quality testing standard and found it is operating correctly.

so at least i know now. but i have no idea what this "new quality testing standard" is or means?

Russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 am

Razgo wrote:just thought i would update my post. I got the same coil back.

They said they tested my coil using a new quality testing standard and found it is operating correctly.

so at least i know now. but i have no idea what this "new quality testing standard" is or means?

Russ

Guess we don't need to know Russ so long as it works Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Robert

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2