Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gpx battery project

5 posters

Go down

Gpx battery project  Empty Gpx battery project

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Nice little Cordless Project worthy of a look.. Very Happy

Gotta love the Battery/Pouch setup

Back to top Go down

Gpx battery project  Empty Re: Gpx battery project

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah looks good, I played the video earlier. A bit like Ismaels cordless battery system, I think Madtuna had one of em.......you still got it tuna and if so how is it.

Back to top Go down

Post  goldfinger Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi ,
I have been using one of Ismaels cordless battery since he first made them.i love it,never had any problems with it.EXCELLENT not being connected to the detector.

goldfinger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 pm

how much were they and do they last as long as the minelab battery

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  goldfinger Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Off hand about $250 (i think) Yes it does.

goldfinger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi Dave, yep still got Ismaels cordless set up and brilliant is how I'd describe it.
haven't used it on the 5000 yet as I've missplaced the charger. But no dramas on the 4500 and I'd imagine there will be none on the 5000 either.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 am

Can they be still bought

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:10 am

not sure mate...this is his website..
http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 am

cheers steve i will have a look

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CHnColorado Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 am

G'Day Guys.
I have the same setup as in the vid I bought mine from Bill Fletcher, of Bill and Lindas Prospecting Page http://www.billandlindaprospecting.com/ Just scroll down to the battery kits. I use it on my GPX 4000. I got the 10,000 milliamp/hr Li-Poly battery kit with Amp for the speaker. I paid 305.00 USD + shipping, for everything. I also have the same cover as you see in the Vid only Digital desert pattern. very nice cover and arm cuff pad. I don't use the wireless head phone systems, to much delay with Blue Tooth stuff, But been looking at the 2.4 GHZ ones. I like the over the ear type phones, when using the phones so I'm still looking for a good set of them. I had a hole sewn in the bottom of the pouch so the pig tail is inside the pouch. Just the power conector is sticking out to the GPX.
I don't know how to post pix here so can't show you. The Amp is hard wired to the power cord and fit inside the pouch and the speaker is mounted with velcro up next to my arm cuff out side. I can also mount it to my Camelback hydro pack shoulder straps if I want to. It is a very nice clean and very light system. You can get the same system with 2 7800 milliamp/hr batterys for the same price. It is a bit lighter than the 10,000 milliamp/hr single battery because you only use one battery at a time. The 10,000 milliamp batery will run my 4000 over 9 hrs on a single charge, the smaller Battery will run about 7 hrs on a single charge but you have a second battery to use. This system really cut down on the EMI also. With out the big curly cord hanging out collecting EMI I have seen an increase in my small gold finds, at better depth as well. I will never go back to the ML batery.
I did my system last month, and love it, just didn't think anyone would want to know about it.
Keep'er Swinging
CH
CHnColorado
CHnColorado
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  CHnColorado Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:27 am

G'day All
Just a note with this system or any system that deletes the ML GPX batery. You should use a audio amp like the Gold Screamer, or the Detacc amp as a high impedance load buffer between the detector and any low impedance speaker or headphones to be safe. A low impedance load dirtect to the detector may damage the audio circuit in the detector. This is my opinion as an Elect Engineer, you may get away with it for a while, but if anything happens it could smoke the audio preamp in the detector.
Thanks
CH
CHnColorado
CHnColorado
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

CHnColorado wrote:G'day All
Just a note with this system or any system that deletes the ML GPX batery. You should use a audio amp like the Gold Screamer, or the Detacc amp as a high impedance load buffer between the detector and any low impedance speaker or headphones to be safe. A low impedance load dirtect to the detector may damage the audio circuit in the detector. This is my opinion as an Elect Engineer, you may get away with it for a while, but if anything happens it could smoke the audio preamp in the detector.
Thanks
CH

G'day CHnColorado..

Yes I read that also...

Doc's Gold Screamer Power package looks sweet >>>> http://www.goldscreamer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:57 pm

It would be nice if minelab came out with their own version of this good idea. The benifits are obvious and there aren't any downsides apart from battery running time.Maybe the 5500 will be their first?
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 pm

I have always used headphones but they can get dammed sweaty when the temp gets above 20 degrees C.

I have purchased a Gold screamer power pack from Doc's for the cordless option. I made a speaker bracket so the speaker points that points in the right direction towards the old earhole...

Should be a good thing and will be giving it a try this weekend bounce

Gpx battery project  IMG_2654

Gpx battery project  IMG_2650

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 pm

goldenbrown wrote:It would be nice if minelab came out with their own version of this good idea. The benifits are obvious and there aren't any downsides apart from battery running time.Maybe the 5500 will be their first?

Being tethered by a power cable is a little inconvenient at times but Minelab probably feel its no real issue. To be free to move around does seem to be a step in the right direction.

When I use headphones it will simply be a matter of lifting them off...

Back to top Go down

Post  Topcat Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:41 pm

For all those who were interested in Ismael's wireless battery setup I regret to say that he is no longer
building them or is he undertaking anymore detector mods as he is now working on other projects.

Cheers

Ted

Last edited by Topcat on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Topcat
Topcat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://topcathaveweels.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 pm

[quote="ARARAT"]I have always used headphones but they can get dammed sweaty when the temp gets above 20 degrees C.

I have purchased a Gold screamer power pack from Doc's for the cordless option. I made a speaker bracket so the speaker points that points in the right direction towards the old earhole...

Should be a good thing and will be giving it a try this weekend bounce
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks like a great set up. Love where you've mounted the speaker...Clever. Hope to hear some positive feedback Ararat. Let us know how you enjoy the freedom of not being attached to your detector or whether your not fussed. Good luck...
cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:39 pm

goldenbrown wrote:This looks like a great set up. Love where you've mounted the speaker...Clever. Hope to hear some positive feedback Ararat. Let us know how you enjoy the freedom of not being attached to your detector or whether your not fussed. Good luck...
cheers goldenbrown...

Ok - Did some detecting on Saturday with the new setup...

Love the freedom of using a speaker with the battery pack but I've have always used the headphones and using the speaker will take sometime to get used too..

Quite like the booster - I can turn down the threshold and up the booster - boy does it go off on targets....

Its early days but EMI may possibly be reduced.. But give me some time for further trials (this weekend may be it according to the forecast)..

No real difference regarding weight.....

Regards

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Ararat,
It seems you had a possitive outing. I use a b&z booster and find that by turning the threshold up a couple of notches and the volume down a bit gives me better control on the signal volume. I don't get booming signals but with the threshold up, I'm not going to miss targets.
It will take a while to get your set up right and hopefully you'll enjoy the freedom from your headphones more. I use head phones now and then when I don't want to be heard...
cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Looking good Ararat! How do you find it on faint signals with the speaker down there?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 pm

goldenbrown wrote:Hi Ararat,
It seems you had a possitive outing. I use a b&z booster and find that by turning the threshold up a couple of notches and the volume down a bit gives me better control on the signal volume. I don't get booming signals but with the threshold up, I'm not going to miss targets.
goldenbrown...

Tis a learning curve and point takin gb - Ta Very Happy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This from the Nuggethunting forum and recommendation from JP ( Hope its ok I do this JP)

So you might try this setting as JP recommends.

2. Put a test nugget on the ground and swing over it. Turn your Gold Screamer volume up, and then turn your threshold down. Swing over it again, Gold Screamer volume up, threshold down.

You are trying to get maximum separation from a nice low smooth threshold, (Sounding like a mosquito buzzing in your ear) to a big booming target sound. If you follow these instructions all of a sudden you will start hearing little bitty nuggets jumping out from the threshold that you never heard before.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

goldenbrown wrote: I use head phones now and then when I don't want to be heard...
cheers goldenbrown...

Yes its very loud with the speaker - Are people looking >>>> Am I paranoid PROBABLY flower Very Happy

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:35 pm

madtuna wrote:Looking good Ararat! How do you find it on faint signals with the speaker down there?

G'day mt,

Thanks for the interest mate. I see by looking at your vids on youtube that you use a speaker. As i have always used the headphones the transition to a speaker is not as easy as I thought.

I think I'm not to bad at picking up those slight variations in tones using headphones with the slight industrial deafness I suffer and I hope that I don't miss any of those using with speaker.. Neutral

Its a matter of being more focused and ignoring the ambient noises with the ears unfettered as it were... lol!

I think it will be ok......Very Happy Very Happy

Regards
A

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi mate..yeah I have duel speakers and at times find myself tilting my head and placing an ear right on one speaker on a realy iffy faint signal.
Just wondering how having the speaker at pretty much arms length is on those sorts of signals? I think my hearing like my eyesight got worse once I hit 45..think I broke my volume button and busted the zoom function

Last edited by madtuna on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm

For a GPX 4000 run the Volume limit at 10 with the B&Z on 2 1/2 to 3 and slightly elevated threshold and the 4500's run the Volume limit on 10 and the target Volume on 8 also with a slightly elevated threshold compared to headphone use.
JP

Here's another quote from JP, saying to elevate the threshold slightly. I guess a bit more research is needed to optimise the booster to your individual sensitivity....
cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 pm

madtuna wrote:Hi mate..yeah I have duel speakers and at times find myself tilting my head and placing an ear right on one speaker on a realy iffy faint signal.
Just wondering how having the speaker at pretty much arms length is on those sorts of signals?

Good point - With the speaker moving during the swing the tone/sound actually varies and this is a negative Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:48 pm

goldenbrown wrote:
Here's another quote from JP, saying to elevate the threshold slightly. I guess a bit more research is needed to optimise the booster to your individual sensitivity....
cheers goldenbrown...

Thats right its what you feel comfortable with...I do not want to vary to much as i have been finding stuff with my current setup..

Regards

Back to top Go down